[video] New Races in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount!

Discuss Tal'dorei, Wildermount and other lands in Matthew Mercer's Exandria world, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[video] New Races in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount!

Post by Big Mac »

Nerd Immersion has a new video out, called New Races in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount!:
Nerd Immersion wrote:Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is out! So first up in my coverage of the new book, is all about the new races! This time we get 4 subcraces and a new "template". Surprisingly though there were a ton of race reprints including some that were never printed before (only available in pdf).

Pallid Elf: 1:18
Lotusden Halfling: 4:13
Dragonborn: 6:10
Hallowed One: 10:43
What do you think of the new races?

Do you like having more Dragonborn options? Would you use these in other campaign settings?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [video] New Races in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount!

Post by Tim Baker »

Nice summary. Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting to see such a huge number of races reprinted in this book. It leads me to believe that Critical Role must be peppered with NPCs of many different races. It also indicates that WotC is still encouraging its "1+1" rule (build characters with the core book plus one supplement to avoid unintended combinations that are more likely to break PC balance).

I like having sub-races, as they help players craft the PC that they hold in their mind's eye. Because D&D 5e encourages you to select a race + class that share a primary ability score bonus, these sub-races open up new possibilities.

As for dragonborn with tails, the Midgard campaign setting went that direction with its dragonborn (which came out during the D&D 3.5 era, if I remember correctly). So I'm a fan. I always felt that those long, meaty tails looked better on dragonborn than on the 4e and later tieflings.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 am
Nice summary. Thanks for sharing this. It's interesting to see such a huge number of races reprinted in this book. It leads me to believe that Critical Role must be peppered with NPCs of many different races. It also indicates that WotC is still encouraging its "1+1" rule (build characters with the core book plus one supplement to avoid unintended combinations that are more likely to break PC balance).
There are pros and cons to recycling races.

People love to have new options in books...and certain race options (like kender for Dragonlance) can make the setting very memorable.

But having a ton of new races...just for the sake of it...spreads out the amount of time you can spend defining each one. And if it's a bespoke race, you have no other books to turn to for help. You also have problems finding art with bespoke races.

The recycled race options are going to allow Critical Role fans to play their favourite race in Wildemount (or even import PCs they have already created for non Critical Role campaigns).

And it should make it easier for people to get minis (assuming we are not all playing online for the next month).
Tim Baker wrote:
I like having sub-races, as they help players craft the PC that they hold in their mind's eye. Because D&D 5e encourages you to select a race + class that share a primary ability score bonus, these sub-races open up new possibilities.
Subraces are a great middle ground option between creating bespoke new races and using the existing races.

You essentially get something old...but put a new spin on it.

I don't know about the race + class combination options, but I think people have been min/maxing with combinations for decades.
Tim Baker wrote:
As for dragonborn with tails, the Midgard campaign setting went that direction with its dragonborn (which came out during the D&D 3.5 era, if I remember correctly). So I'm a fan. I always felt that those long, meaty tails looked better on dragonborn than on the 4e and later tieflings.
I thought that dragonborn were a 4th Edition thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Dragonborn are clearly inspired by the draconians of Dragonlance. But they are also clearly rebooted.

It's interesting that Wildemount is expanding the range of draconians. It's kind of going back the other way (unless this is just supposed to be the local swap-out version).

I'll have to look at the races on the Critical Role Wiki some time, to see if I can infer things from the backstory.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm
There are pros and cons to recycling races.
I view the con of having so much page count dedicated to previously-published races as potentially having people buy content that they've already purchased in previous products. Are there other cons you can think of?
Big Mac wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:22 pm
I thought that dragonborn were a 4th Edition thing, but maybe I'm wrong.
Dragonborn were a 3.5 race. Their origins were different (a follower of Bahamut would be transformed into a dragon-like humanoid: thus, "dragon-born").

Return to “Critical Role”