[Critical Role] How much "Exandriaspace" information is in the show and the RPG books?

Discuss Tal'dorei, Wildermount and other lands in Matthew Mercer's Exandria world, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Critical Role] How much "Exandriaspace" information is in the show and the RPG books?

Post by Big Mac »

I was looking at Critical Role Wiki (after Tim Baker asked about something) and found that Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting mentions an elven deity, called:"The Moonweaver".

Obviously this means that Critical Role has moon, but I can't find an article about the moon.

Has Matthew Mercer ever said the name of the moon? Is it mentioned in the Green Ronin book? Do you know if it is going to be mentioned in the new Wizards of the Coast book?

Do you know if Matthew Mercer has ever mentioned the names of any stars, constellations or other celestial objects?

Now there is an official D&D book for Critical Role coming, do you think Matthew Mercer will write an outline of "Exandriaspace"?

(Would anyone like to see Matthew Mercer to a Critical Role show on a spelljamming ship in Exandriaspace?)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Re: [Critical Role] How much "Exandriaspace" information is in the show and the RPG books?

Post by lookatroopa »

I haven't watched much of the show, so I'm mostly going off of the wiki and Green Ronin's Campaign Setting book, here.

In the Green Ronin book, the moon is only referred to as simply "the moon". It's nature is a bit hard to figure out, but it seems to be heavily tied to the world's Feywild. The Astural Scrolls, the in-universe documents of a mad mage named Clemain Astural who lived somewhere between 8 to 15 centuries ago, imply that the moon's influence over Exandria predates that of the sun, and that there was once an age where the world was nothing but a boundless ocean.

Within the elven city of Syngorn lies a body of water called Lake Ywnnlas, which, on nights when it's reflecting the constellation called the Imprisoned, features entities called "star spirits" that dance across its surface. While it might seem logical that the Imprisoned would represent the Betrayer Gods sealed away in their various prison planes, the text suggests that the star spirits specifically betrayed the Moonweaver, and even gives the option for warlocks of the Old Ones to draw their powers from one of these entities, or even the constellation itself, implying they're something different altogether.

The writeup for Yug'Voril, the illithid city in the Underdark beneath the Cliffkeep Mountains, says that the "Flayers" (so named in the book as not to infringe on WotC's product identity) did originally come from "beyond the stars" (in fact, all aberrations are noted to be "not of this world", though whether this uniformly refers to outer space is unclear). After K'Varn the beholder's thrall over the city was ended by Vox Machina, early in the show's first season, the illithids were apparently left with a menagerie of warped, mutated creatures, which might come up in eventual space-oriented material if the city still has nautiloids around.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Critical Role] How much "Exandriaspace" information is in the show and the RPG books?

Post by Big Mac »

lookatroopa wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:25 am
I haven't watched much of the show, so I'm mostly going off of the wiki and Green Ronin's Campaign Setting book, here.
Thanks. (Maybe this topic will get bumped when Explorer's Guide to Wildemount...or when some Critical Role uber-fan signs up to The Piazza and shares their knowledge.)
lookatroopa wrote:
In the Green Ronin book, the moon is only referred to as simply "the moon". It's nature is a bit hard to figure out, but it seems to be heavily tied to the world's Feywild. The Astural Scrolls, the in-universe documents of a mad mage named Clemain Astural who lived somewhere between 8 to 15 centuries ago, imply that the moon's influence over Exandria predates that of the sun, and that there was once an age where the world was nothing but a boundless ocean.
People calling their moon "the moon" seems to be a standard thing. (IIRC there is some sort of snotty attitude to this from some spacefarers.)

Eberron has some sort of moon/plane tie-in thing going on. I wonder if Matthew Mercer was inspired by Keith Baker on the moon/Feywild thing.

If Exandria's moon had close connections with the Feywild, it would be relatively easy to make an encounter table that included Feywild creatures. Hopefully this will get expanded on.

It sounds like The Astural Scrolls could be used as the basis of some sort of "Arcane Age" Critical Role campaign set in the past on Exandria the water world.
lookatroopa wrote:
Within the elven city of Syngorn lies a body of water called Lake Ywnnlas, which, on nights when it's reflecting the constellation called the Imprisoned, features entities called "star spirits" that dance across its surface. While it might seem logical that the Imprisoned would represent the Betrayer Gods sealed away in their various prison planes, the text suggests that the star spirits specifically betrayed the Moonweaver, and even gives the option for warlocks of the Old Ones to draw their powers from one of these entities, or even the constellation itself, implying they're something different altogether.
That's interesting. So the lake is kind of reflecting the sky in more ways than one.

Spelljammer has constellates. They are not very well detailed. But they are constellations brought to life as monsters. I wonder if the "star spirits" of Critical Role could be anything like constellates.

Hmm. If Warlocks were actually doing deals with constellates that might actually create an in-character reason for constellates to appear, at times. Maybe some new 5e stuff and/or Critical Role stuff could help give constellates a more vivid background that players buy into more easily.
lookatroopa wrote:
The writeup for Yug'Voril, the illithid city in the Underdark beneath the Cliffkeep Mountains, says that the "Flayers" (so named in the book as not to infringe on WotC's product identity) did originally come from "beyond the stars" (in fact, all aberrations are noted to be "not of this world", though whether this uniformly refers to outer space is unclear). After K'Varn the beholder's thrall over the city was ended by Vox Machina, early in the show's first season, the illithids were apparently left with a menagerie of warped, mutated creatures, which might come up in eventual space-oriented material if the city still has nautiloids around.
WildSpace called them "Flayons". :D

In Spelljammer terms "beyond the stars" means "from outside the crystal sphere". I wonder if Matthew Mercer actually intended that phrase to mean that.

I like Spelljammer, but it is a niche thing. So it's just as possible that Matthew Mercer has never looked at Spelljammer and just thinks that sounds cool.

(Or this could be something that James Haeck, Joseph Carriker or Steve Kenson snuck into Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. ;) )

I think that 3rd Edition did push the "abberrations are from space or are magical creations" angle and that 4th Edition pushed that angle further. Having said that, from other planes, is just as good an explanation for "not from this world", so they could be Planewalking creatures.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Chris Perkins has confirmed that Exandria is on the Material Plane and inside the D&D Multiverse in a D&D Beyond interview.

He did mention the word "sphere", but I don't think he meant "crystal sphere".

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm
Chris Perkins has confirmed that Exandria is on the Material Plane and inside the D&D Multiverse in a D&D Beyond interview.

Good catch. I wonder how responsive he is on Twitter.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:06 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:44 pm

Good catch. I wonder how responsive he is on Twitter.
He might not be able to say much (especially as he doesn't seem to be someone on the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount team), but he is friendly, so I've pinged a question to Christopher Perkins on Twitter.
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 am
He might not be able to say much (especially as he doesn't seem to be someone on the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount team), but he is friendly, so I've pinged a question to Christopher Perkins on Twitter.
I think you linked to the wrong thread.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:54 am
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 am
I think you linked to the wrong thread.
Oops! You are right.

I've fixed the link.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

It's a bummer he didn't reply. I retweeted it, on the off chance it could boost the signal.

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Post by lookatroopa »

Got my hands on Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. Here's the potentially Spelljammer-related material I could find.

The "main" moon has been named Catha, a bright white satellite associated with Sehanine. A second moon has also been detailed: Ruidus, a much smaller and more distant, dark red-brown satellite, associated in older texts with an unspecified Betrayer God. Some wiki notes from the show indicate that the former has a revolution of 33 days, and the latter one of 328. A scenario where Catha and Ruidus create a "double eclipse" is outlined in the book, causing a multi-planar crossover.

The city-state of Aeor was a magic-heavy society of the Age of Arcanum that fell due to their deicidal ambitions. Their inventions, ranging from all kinds of magic items to the "Aeorian hunters" (artificial lifeforms created to do combat with extraplanar beings), are still being unearthed and causing upsets all across Wildemount. While there isn't anything specific about them taking to space, the sheer extent of their magical prowess makes it seem like they would've had to leave a mark somewhere off-world.

A candidate for a modern spelljamming people are the pallid elves, a group of elves that survived the devastation of their forest home by Torog the Crawling King through the help of their patron, Sehanine. Their culture being centered on Catha, they would be likely to make the trek to the moon if possible.

Another is the Kryn Dynasty, a drow society centered on the worship of a radiant entity known as Luxon. Their patron is said to have originated as a wandering star, which could similarly encourage Kryn's people to travel into space.

Also included in the book is a list of Elder Evils observed on Exandria, giving them the familiar association with wandering stars. Some of them are familiar names from past editions (i.e. Father Llymic, Ityak-Ortheel, Shothotugg), but two in particular stand out as new to me: Ceratos of Many Minds (who has a profile tying them to Torog earlier on in the book), and Rasalhague the Noxious Star (whose name is shared with real-world star Alpha Ophiuchi).

Avorik
Kobold

Post by Avorik »

lookatroopa wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:55 am
Got my hands on Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. Here's the potentially Spelljammer-related material I could find.

The "main" moon has been named Catha, a bright white satellite associated with Sehanine. A second moon has also been detailed: Ruidus, a much smaller and more distant, dark red-brown satellite, associated in older texts with an unspecified Betrayer God. Some wiki notes from the show indicate that the former has a revolution of 33 days, and the latter one of 328. A scenario where Catha and Ruidus create a "double eclipse" is outlined in the book, causing a multi-planar crossover.

The city-state of Aeor was a magic-heavy society of the Age of Arcanum that fell due to their deicidal ambitions. Their inventions, ranging from all kinds of magic items to the "Aeorian hunters" (artificial lifeforms created to do combat with extraplanar beings), are still being unearthed and causing upsets all across Wildemount. While there isn't anything specific about them taking to space, the sheer extent of their magical prowess makes it seem like they would've had to leave a mark somewhere off-world.

A candidate for a modern spelljamming people are the pallid elves, a group of elves that survived the devastation of their forest home by Torog the Crawling King through the help of their patron, Sehanine. Their culture being centered on Catha, they would be likely to make the trek to the moon if possible.

Another is the Kryn Dynasty, a drow society centered on the worship of a radiant entity known as Luxon. Their patron is said to have originated as a wandering star, which could similarly encourage Kryn's people to travel into space.

Also included in the book is a list of Elder Evils observed on Exandria, giving them the familiar association with wandering stars. Some of them are familiar names from past editions (i.e. Father Llymic, Ityak-Ortheel, Shothotugg), but two in particular stand out as new to me: Ceratos of Many Minds (who has a profile tying them to Torog earlier on in the book), and Rasalhague the Noxious Star (whose name is shared with real-world star Alpha Ophiuchi).

Where in the Wildemount book did you find the part about the 2 moons creating a double eclipse? I see a paragraph about the moons but it doesn't mention an eclipse.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Avorik wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 pm
Where in the Wildemount book did you find the part about the 2 moons creating a double eclipse? I see a paragraph about the moons but it doesn't mention an eclipse.
Hi Avorik. Welcome to the Piazza! I noticed that this is your first post – glad you could join us! You might want to drop by the Introduce yourself here thread, and share a little bit about yourself. What's your favorite system? Favorite setting? Whatever you're comfortable with. :)

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Post by lookatroopa »

Avorik wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:30 pm
Page 134, under the Barbed Fields Adventures header.

Return to “Critical Role”