[Critical Role][Wildemount] Dawn War Gods

Discuss Tal'dorei, Wildermount and other lands in Matthew Mercer's Exandria world, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

[Critical Role][Wildemount] Dawn War Gods

Post by Tim Baker »

In this week's Dragon Talk podcast, Chris Perkins reveals the names of the deities in the upcoming Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. The gods of Exandria – the name of the world that the continent of Wildemount is in – have retained their D&D 4th Edition Dawn War pantheon names. Since all but one of the Exandrian deities were drawn from the Nentir Vale setting when Matt Mercer created his world for Critical Role, it's nice to see them return to their original names.

The one outlier is The Everlight, Sarenrae, the goddess of redemption, who was drawn from Pathfinder's Golarion pantheon. Chris Perkins mentioned that her name is Rae (I'm assuming that's how it's spelled, as a contraction of "Sarenrae") in the official D&D-ized version of the setting.

It was also interesting to learn that the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount was developed using the codename "Dawn War" prior to its announcement. It goes to show the significant influence of this 4th Edition pantheon (which primarily drew from deities across various previously established settings) on Exandria and Wildemount.

UPDATE: The codename is mentioned in this interview with Chris Perkins at around 3:17: https://www.facebook.com/dndbeyond/vide ... 638631111/
Last edited by Tim Baker on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Critical Role][Wildemount] Dawn War Gods

Post by Big Mac »

Chris Perkins: "This is the first campaign setting created for 5th Edition."

Also Chris Perkins: "The Dawn War pantheon was originally created for 4th Edition." :lol:

I wonder if Mike Mearls's 2017 work on Nentir Vale was actually a sneaky way to put out playtest material for Critical Role fans.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

So, basically this is the Dawn War pantheon +1. That's great, as one can just import a lot of 4e lore if needed.

Also, Rae. A simple name, but it works.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 am
Chris Perkins: "This is the first campaign setting created for 5th Edition."

Also Chris Perkins: "The Dawn War pantheon was originally created for 4th Edition." :lol:
I think it's fair to say Exandria is the first campaign setting created for 5e. Tal'Dorei might have roots in the Nentir Vale, but then again, Nentir Vale had roots in other classic settings. It's not as large a divergence from "standard fantasy" as, say, Eberron was during the 3e era, but that doesn't mean it's not a new creation.
Big Mac wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:13 am
I wonder if Mike Mearls's 2017 work on Nentir Vale was actually a sneaky way to put out playtest material for Critical Role fans.
Huh, that's an interesting question. I don't think that's the case, though. Based on interviews on D&D Beyond, it sounds like this book was created quickly, and work on it started a year ago. It was largely completed by designers who aren't WotC staff.

Additionally, Wildemount is tonally different from Nentir Vale. There's more similarity between Tal'Dorei and Nentir Vale than there is Wildemount and Nentir Vale.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 pm
So, basically this is the Dawn War pantheon +1. That's great, as one can just import a lot of 4e lore if needed.
Agreed. I'm curious to see what, if anything, could be used in a Nentir Vale game, though. Perhaps if the book offers new cleric domains?
Zeromaru X wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:02 pm
Also, Rae. A simple name, but it works.
I'm fine with it. I initially thought about the heroine in the new Star Wars trilogy. That's not a terrible thing, but it felt too soon to reuse a major Star Wars character's name. I'm making an assumption that the spelling will be different (Rae and not Rey), which should help when it's read in the book, at least.

Return to “Critical Role”