[Critical Role] How many people worked on both the Tal'dorei book and the Wildermount book?

Discuss Tal'dorei, Wildermount and other lands in Matthew Mercer's Exandria world, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Critical Role] How many people worked on both the Tal'dorei book and the Wildermount book?

Post by Big Mac »

A while ago, Green Ronin published Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting.

Later this year Wizards of the Coast are going to be publishing Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

WotC presented it like a big secret that nobody knew. (Apparently, they called it "Codename: Dawn War" or somesuch, but I've not seen a source for that.)

Obviously Matthew Mercer knew, but anyone else working on it would have known too.

I was wondering if the Green Ronin staff, that made Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting were making the new book for WotC.

Does anyone know if WotC have revealed the full credits for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount yet? Failing that, have they mentioned the names of any other designers?

Is there anyone, other than Matthew Mercer who has designed material for both books?

How about cartographers? Are there any cartographers that made maps before Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting came out that have stuck with Matthew Mercer and created maps used in both books?

I know he spoke about including prominent Critter fan artists in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. Did any Critters also make art for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting? Have any made art for both books?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Critical Role] How many people worked on both the Tal'dorei book and the Wildermount book?

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:57 am
WotC presented it like a big secret that nobody knew. (Apparently, they called it "Codename: Dawn War" or somesuch, but I've not seen a source for that.)
The codename is mentioned in this interview with Chris Perkins at around 3:17: https://www.facebook.com/dndbeyond/vide ... 638631111/

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Critical Role] How many people worked on both the Tal'dorei book and the Wildermount book?

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Is there anyone, other than Matthew Mercer who has designed material for both books?
Matthew Mercer, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Hannah Rose, and Scott Fitzgerald Gray are credited with the creation of this book. Matt Mercer and James Haeck were the designers for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. James Introcaso is a DM's Guild Adept and has done work for the recent Waterdeep adventures. Chris Lockey is a content producer for Critical Role. Hannah Rose is a DM's Guild Adept. Scott Fitzgerald Gray worked on numerous 3rd and 4th Edition D&D books.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:39 am
Big Mac wrote:
The codename is mentioned in this interview with Chris Perkins at around 3:17: https://www.facebook.com/dndbeyond/vide ... 638631111/
Facebook is terrible with videos. (They are obsessed with forcing you to autoplay other videos.)

YouTube let me link directly to the ""Dawn War" is a big book..." quote.

Thanks for letting me know what to look.

Chris Perkins also said that the Critical Role world was in the Material Plane in the D&D multiverse. That's not something that holds true for every D&D adaptation of a non-TSR/non-WotC world.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:42 am
Big Mac wrote:
Matthew Mercer, James Haeck, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Hannah Rose, and Scott Fitzgerald Gray are credited with the creation of this book. Matt Mercer and James Haeck were the designers for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. James Introcaso is a DM's Guild Adept and has done work for the recent Waterdeep adventures. Chris Lockey is a content producer for Critical Role. Hannah Rose is a DM's Guild Adept. Scott Fitzgerald Gray worked on numerous 3rd and 4th Edition D&D books.
Hmm. I'm not clear on that. Let's see if I can find lists for the Green Ronin and WotC books.

RPG Geek has a Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting article, but not one for the "Dawn War" book, but I just saw that the Critical Role website has added a [PRE-ORDER] Explorer's Guide to Wildemount page.

So RPG Geek gives us four designers for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting:
  • Matthew Mercer,
  • Joseph Carriker,
  • James J. Haeck,
  • Steve Kenson
Critical Role gives us four "writes" for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount:
  • Matthew Mercer,
  • Chris Lockey,
  • James Introcaso,
  • James Haeck
So Explorer's Guide to Wildemount has kept James Haeck.

And it dropped Joseph Carriker and Steve Kenson and replaced them with Chris Lockey and James Introcaso. That's a 50 percent change in the design team.

RPG Geek has give us nine artists for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting:
  • Biagio D'Alessandro,
  • Kent Davis,
  • Stanislav Dikolenko,
  • John Anthony di Giovanni,
  • Claudia Ianniciello,
  • Andrew Law,
  • Svetoslav Petrov,
  • Aaron J. Riley,
  • Andrey Vasilchenko
Critical Role gives us a massive forty one artists for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount:
  • Even Amundsen,
  • Jonah Baumann,
  • Mark Behm,
  • Eric Belisle,
  • Dan Bittencourt,
  • Zoltan Boros,
  • Wesley Burt,
  • Clint Cearley,
  • Jedd Chevrier,
  • Chippy,
  • David René Christensen,
  • CoupleOfKooks,
  • Joma Cueto,
  • Alayna Danner,
  • Kent Davis,
  • Nikki Dawes,
  • Axel Defois,
  • Olga Drebas,
  • Lars Grant-West,
  • Julian Kok,
  • Linda Lithen,
  • Jessica Mahon,
  • Andrew Mar,
  • Marcela Medeiros,
  • Robson Michel,
  • Goñi Montes,
  • Irina Nordsol,
  • Stephen Oakley,
  • Robin Olausson,
  • Claudio Pozas,
  • Livia Prima,
  • Jenn Ravenna,
  • Nick Robles,
  • Caio E Santos,
  • David Sladek,
  • Brian Valeza,
  • Anna Veltkamp,
  • Richard Whitters,
  • Shawn Wood,
  • Zuzanna Wuzyk,
  • Anna Zee
So Explorer's Guide to Wildemount has kept Kent Davis.

And it dropped Biagio D'Alessandro, Stanislav Dikolenko, John Anthony di Giovanni, Claudia Ianniciello, Andrew Law, Svetoslav Petrov, Aaron J. Riley and Andrey Vasilchenko.

That's a massive change in the art team. But technically you could also say there is one person (other than Matthew Mercer) who has come over from each team.

Critical Role also gives us a cartographer for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount:
  • Deven Rue
RPG Geek doesn't list a cartographer for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. Maybe they are listed as an artist, rather than as a cartographer. (I can't imagine that the book has no maps.)

RPG Geek has give us five design staff for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting:
  • Joseph Carriker
  • Jennifer Lawrence
  • Hal Mangold
  • Caroline Pitt
  • Evan Sass
Critical Role does not list the design staff for Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

Now those folks do the layout and that means that we can't be sure how much of the Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting will carry through to Explorer's Guide to Wildemount.

Joseph Carriker was also listed as a designer (as well as production staff).

I'm not sure how much we can tell from this. We can confirm three people on the Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting team are also on the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount team. (That's Matthew Mercer, James Haeck and Kent Davis.)

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:31 pm
  • Deven Rue
RPG Geek doesn't list a cartographer for Critical Role: Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. Maybe they are listed as an artist, rather than as a cartographer. (I can't imagine that the book has no maps.)
Andy Law is the cartographer for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. So no overlap there, either.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:12 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:31 pm
  • Deven Rue
Andy Law is the cartographer for the Tal'Dorei Campaign Setting. So no overlap there, either.
Thanks for tracking that information down, Tim.

Return to “Critical Role”