[Critical Role][Exandria] What's special about this setting?

Discuss Tal'dorei, Wildermount and other lands in Matthew Mercer's Exandria world, as it relates to pen & paper RPGs, here.
sam
Gnoll

[Critical Role][Exandria] What's special about this setting?

Post by sam »

I've read some materials before, but it looks like a collection of fragmented elements, like the kitchen sink I designed when I was preparing for the game. :|

In addition, some famous characters are directly used in CR, like Vecna. If they want to make this setting more "official", they must solve the problem of how to deal with these duplicate characters.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Critical Role][Exandria] What's special about this setting?

Post by Big Mac »

sam wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:32 pm
I've read some materials before, but it looks like a collection of fragmented elements, like the kitchen sink I designed when I was preparing for the game. :|
That's the six million gold piece question.

Can Matthew Mercer connect to people who have never watched his live streamed games, and get across the unique selling points of Exandria?

Having said that, does he need to? Is the unique selling point of the two Critical Role books that Critical Role fans will buy enough copies to make the books financially viable?

From what I can see, Matthew Mercer started off with the Dawn War deities, from 4th Edition, and went in a different direction to the way the Nentir Vale products went.

If you think about it the 4e core rulebooks were selling the concept of Points of Light as a core value to GMs. So...assuming that is something that GMs actually wanted...Exandria could be filling that gap in the market.
sam wrote:
In addition, some famous characters are directly used in CR, like Vecna. If they want to make this setting more "official", they must solve the problem of how to deal with these duplicate characters.
There is also duplication between Mystara stuff, Blackmoor stuff, Greyhawk stuff and Nentir Vale stuff.

Not to mention that Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms use the same demihuman pantheons (mostly the same - Lolth is different in both and there are some other tweaks).

And Celestial is found in Greyhawk, Spelljammer and Planescape.

These shared elements can actually be helpful for anyone wanting to run a crossover game.

So perhaps Vecna will be a good way for a Greyhawk GM to run a campaign where the PCs travel to Exandria for a while.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

sam wrote:
As someone who isn't very familiar with the setting either, do we know that this is a different Vecna? Could he have traveled to a different crystal sphere and be the same character in Oerth, Nerath, and Exandria?

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam »

Oerth's Vecna and Exandria's Vecna are different. They have different experiences, although they share some characteristics. I think keeping it like this is fine, excessive interpretation will be more confusing.

I also want to see some materials that are good for crossover, like Exandria surrounding systems that can be used in SJ game. But I think the premise is to strengthen the specificity of Exandria, then crossover in different worlds will be interesting.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Firearms and Gun Mages strike me as another iconic feature of this setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Tim Baker wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:05 am
sam wrote:
As someone who isn't very familiar with the setting either, do we know that this is a different Vecna? Could he have traveled to a different crystal sphere and be the same character in Oerth, Nerath, and Exandria?
The adventure Die Vecna Die! involves the PCs travelling from Greyhawk to Ravenloft and onto Sigil.

So if Vecna has an influence on two transitive settings, that could be a way for him to influence Exandria.

Do we know if Vecna is actually worshipped as a deity on Exandria...or if someone has just brought his hand or eye to the planet.

BTW: Lolth works differently in Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk. I believe she has managed to gain a larger portfolio in one of the two settings. So that is something that is possible for other deities.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:10 pm
Firearms and Gun Mages strike me as another iconic feature of this setting.
Savage Coast and Spelljammer both have firearms. But I don't recall Gun Mages elsewhere.

How do Gun Mages compare to Arcane Archers?

Return to “Critical Role”