Druids, Rangers, the Forestmaster and the Gods of Nature

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Druids, Rangers, the Forestmaster and the Gods of Nature

Postby Havard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:23 am

The section about the Forestmaster is probably one of my least favorite parts of Dragons of Autumn Twilight. However, the Forestmaster is a pretty interesting figure, being near immortal and a champion of Chislev and nature.

Where do Druids fit into Krynn? Are they followers of Chislev, Zivilyn and Habbakuk?

Are there other such champions of nature such as the Forestmaster?

How do Druids relate to elves, barbarians and other races and cultures?

Did Druids go away during the Age of Despair or did they remain on Krynn with their magic intact?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Druids, Rangers, the Forestmaster and the Gods of Nature

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:10 am

Havard wrote:The section about the Forestmaster is probably one of my least favorite parts of Dragons of Autumn Twilight. However, the Forestmaster is a pretty interesting figure, being near immortal and a champion of Chislev and nature.

When I read the Chronicles novels, the stuff with the Forestmaster did seem a bit strange to me. From a plot point-of-view, the heroes cross an area that humanoids are not allowed to enter and the Forestmaster allows them to pass through. But, it felt like Darken Wood wasn't really anything like other parts of Krynn. I guess it is just supposed to be one of several no-go areas, but I couldn't never tell from the maps what parts of Ansalon where the no-go areas.

Maybe, when I've read some more stuff, I'll have a better idea of what to do with Darken Wood and the Forestmaster and can see if it is an area that would be able to "test" druids and rangers, the way that wizards get tested. :?

Havard wrote:Where do Druids fit into Krynn? Are they followers of Chislev, Zivilyn and Habbakuk?

That's an excellent question. I've been wondering that, not just for Ansalon, but for Taladas, the other parts of Krynn and even for Krynnspace.

Page 46 of Dragonlance Campaign Setting states that druids are "speciality priests of nature, serving one of the three nature gods: Habbakuk, Chislev or Zeboim". (Druids do not get a medallion of faith like clerics do.)

Page 52 of Dragonlance Campaign Setting states that rangers do not have to choose a patron deity until they get to 4th level (and gain the ability to cast spells). It also states that they can only choose between Habbakuk, Chislev or Zeboim.

Page 49 of Holy Orders of the Stars has a Prestige Class called: Phoenix of Habbakuk and pages 120-123 of HOotS explains how the church works, as well as how druid and ranger followers (who are not considered members of Habbakuk's Holy Order) conduct their worship.

Page 58 of Holy Orders of the Stars has a Prestige Class called: Wild Fury Of Chislev and pages 117-118 explain how the small church of Chislev works (most of her followers are said to be druids and rangers).

Page 55 of Holy Orders of the Stars has a Prestige Class called: Seawolf of Zeboim and pages 145-147 explain how the churchs of Zeboim are mostly located in port-cities. (I didn't really see much about druids or rangers in that section. Perhaps that means they don't have much interaction.)

Havard wrote:Are there other such champions of nature such as the Forestmaster?

There is a creature called Silver Horn that was a sort of underwater version of the Forestmaster.

Havard wrote:How do Druids relate to elves, barbarians and other races and cultures?

Kagonesti elves, centaurs and human nomads are more likely to become druids or rangers. So I would say that they have better relations with druids than other races.

Havard wrote:Did Druids go away during the Age of Despair or did they remain on Krynn with their magic intact?

Neither. They remained on Krynn, but had no access to divine magic. They just retained their various nature skills. Their magic came back after the return of the gods.

In an Age of Despair game, I guess that the classes that have access to the Healing skill would be valued, as they would be able to accelerate speed that characters heal naturally.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Druids, Rangers, the Forestmaster and the Gods of Nature

Postby Falconer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:31 am

In the AD&D Dragonlance materials, Chislev the Feathered Cleric was THE god (later goddess) of Druids. Of course, Druids are all Neutral in AD&D. Not sure if that changed in d20.

Habbakuk the Fisher King is the patron of Rangers in AD&D DL. Of course, Rangers are all Good in AD&D. Not sure if THAT changed in d20, either. In AD&D it was all nice and neat. Habbakuk is basically Aragorn as a god.

We know that there were Druids in the pre-WotL 4th Age; however, there were Clerics in this time, too (Seekers, Plainsmen priestesses, etc.), as well as Monks of Majere and Aesthetics of the Great Library; so, we know that religious groups continued to exist due to inertia or habit or to address a basic human need. I would definitely say no Druidic spellcasting or other divine abilities, though, until some sort of finding-of-the-faith event occurs in the WotL or after.

I remember back in the 90s wondering if the Forestmaster were Chislev; but, I have found any evidence of a connection. If anything, she seems to me to serve Paladine, in the book. A Habbakuk connection might work.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Dragonlance