Joe Magianello talking about D&D, Movie, T-shirts etc at Collider Movie Talk

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Joe Magianello talking about D&D, Movie, T-shirts etc at Collider Movie Talk

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 pm

(Link to the time stamp when Magianello is introduced)

I love his story about how he responded to his friend's girlfriend when she was dismissive about D&D. :D The game clearly meant alot to both Magianello and his friends when they grew up, just like it did for many of us.

Dragonlance isn't mentioned specifically, but I think those are the characters he is referring to.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Joe Magianello talking about D&D, Movie, T-shirts etc at Collider Movie Talk

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 am

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:10 pm
I love his story about how he responded to his friend's girlfriend when she was dismissive about D&D. :D The game clearly meant alot to both Magianello and his friends when they grew up, just like it did for many of us.
That was a pretty good story.
Havard wrote:
Dragonlance isn't mentioned specifically, but I think those are the characters he is referring to.
I'm not so sure.

I did hear that the script he wrote was a Dragonlance script, but he was very careful to avoid mentioning a campaign setting in that interview. And he stressed that there was a different movie company in charge now and that he had to be careful about what he said.

It's possible that they have asked him to make a Forgotten Realms movie, to tie into the setting that WotC is supporting most.

I did notice that he mentioned Death Knights. But then the clothing he brought out had a picture of the original Death Knight. I'm not sure that is a Dragonlance character. I didn't quite catch the name (but it definitely was not Lord Soth).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Joe Magianello talking about D&D, Movie, T-shirts etc at Collider Movie Talk

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:48 am

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 am
I did notice that he mentioned Death Knights. But then the clothing he brought out had a picture of the original Death Knight. I'm not sure that is a Dragonlance character. I didn't quite catch the name (but it definitely was not Lord Soth).
Saint Kargoth the Undying. He is not a Dragonlance character, but is associated with Greyhawk (as a Death Knight of Demogorgon). He is- at least as far as I am aware- considered to be the first Death Knight.

(The first "named" death knight, in any event. Originating from Dragon #79. Death Knights had originally appeared before that, in the Fiend Folio. Lord Soth wasn't introduced until 1985.)

It sounds like he wasn't considering a Dragonlance movie, but something more D&D generic, but based on (at least what he says) "some characters that nobody was looking at." I am guessing he might have been thinking of Greyhawk, and a lot of those characters (Mordenkainen, etc.) But that's just a guess.

EDIT: NM. I see some articles and a tweet from him back in 2017 that strongly suggests it was Dragonlance.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:
I'm not so sure.

I did hear that the script he wrote was a Dragonlance script, but he was very careful to avoid mentioning a campaign setting in that interview. And he stressed that there was a different movie company in charge now and that he had to be careful about what he said.

It's possible that they have asked him to make a Forgotten Realms movie, to tie into the setting that WotC is supporting most.
I agree. I think that Magianello really was a genuine D&D fan back in the days and really fell in love with the game again when he came back to the hobby many years later. I think that he really saw the potential for a Dragonlance movie. I believe he saw the potential of himself playing Caramon.

But I think you are right that he specifically did not mention Dragonlance now, probably because he has talked to WotC and they would prefer a Forgotten Realms movie.

In any case, I really like hearing the video of Magianello talking about how he saw D&D back then and how he sees it now.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:04 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:
I'm not so sure.

I agree. I think that Magianello really was a genuine D&D fan back in the days and really fell in love with the game again when he came back to the hobby many years later. I think that he really saw the potential for a Dragonlance movie. I believe he saw the potential of himself playing Caramon.

But I think you are right that he specifically did not mention Dragonlance now, probably because he has talked to WotC and they would prefer a Forgotten Realms movie.

In any case, I really like hearing the video of Magianello talking about how he saw D&D back then and how he sees it now.
It was a great video. He does seem like a nice guy.

Right now, I would rather see a D&D movie that feature any published D&D campaign setting over another generic fantasy movie with the name D&D thrown on it.

I actually think that Dragonlance is an excellent thing to turn into a movie, as the War of the Lance is a great story, but Forgotten Realms has some reasonable stories too.

If TSR had not fallen out with Gary Gygax, I think that a series of Gord the Rogue movies would have been the best option.

I don't think there is any chance that they would do a Spelljammer movie. I don't think it would pull in as large an audience as Forgotten Realms, and the environment of Wildspace would probably push the budget up. But I'd rather have a movie for that or even a fairly obscure D&D setting that had some sort of story to tell.

Maybe, just maybe, if they do one Dungeons & Dragons movie based on a campaign setting, and it works, they might make movies for other campaign settings too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “The Wishing Well”