Moon Disicples and Theurgy

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Moon Disicples and Theurgy

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:40 am

Back in the Tales of the Lance boxed set for 2nd edition, there was a section on the gods and their clerics. In the case of the gods of magic, their clerics first had to be 5th-level wizards.

Of course, this was retconned in 3e, which returned the WoHS to be more like they were in 1e, where the gods of magic had no clerics.

Now, back in those 3.5 days, Cam Banks and I worked on our own respective takes of the clerics of the gods of magic, inspired by the 2e clerics of the moon gods. So we came up with the Moon Disciple, a prestige class where a wizard gains a few divine-like abilities yet remains a wizard.

I was considering revisiting this idea again in 5e, but WotC beat me to it. They released the Theurgy arcane tradition for the wizard class. Yes, kind of a mystic theurge. Also, perfect for the moon disciple!

So what do you all think? Would you use this in a Dragonlance game? How would you further develop the idea?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Moon Disicples and Theurgy

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:41 am

Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am

I didn't realise that Tales of the Lance had done this.

Other campaign settings, that have gods of magic, have clerics, so I guess it makes sense to have some sort of option available.

Dragonlance doesn't have to copy everything else, but there are some non-moon worshippers who get arcane spells, so if it works one way, it can work the other way.

Sadly, I can't find a Moon Disciple article on the Lexicon, to teach me about the non-crunchy aspects of the three clerical orders.

Are there any examples of them being used in a novel, or is it just an oddity from Tales of the Lance that got abandoned?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 am
Sadly, I can't find a Moon Disciple article on the Lexicon, to teach me about the non-crunchy aspects of the three clerical orders.

Are there any examples of them being used in a novel, or is it just an oddity from Tales of the Lance that got abandoned?
The Lexicon won't have it because the Moon Disciples are not official.

It's just something from TotL that got abandoned.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Return to “Dragonlance”