Noble Draconians

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Noble Draconians

Post by Havard » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am

I read somewhere that there are some breeds of Draconians called Noble Draconians. These are based on Chromatic Dragons rather than Metallics.

Where were noble Draconians introduced? We're they created in the same way as regular Draconians?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Noble Draconians

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Havard wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 am
I read somewhere that there are some breeds of Draconians called Noble Draconians. These are based on Chromatic Dragons rather than Metallics.
That is correct. :)
Havard wrote:
Where were noble Draconians introduced?
I know they were included in Bestiary of Krynn (and it's updated version Bestiary of Krynn: Revised). One of them featured in the free web preview, which was on the Margaret Weis Productions website.
Havard wrote:
We're they created in the same way as regular Draconians?
They were. From what I recall a cleric, wizard and a dragon perform some sort of corrupting ritual on good dragon eggs to create evil draconians. According to the Noble Draconian article on Dragonlance Lexicon the remaining stolen good dragon eggs got liberated towards the end of the War of the Lance and Lord Ariakas attempted to use the draconian creation ritual on evil dragon eggs to create evil draconians.

The corruption ritual transformed the evil dragon eggs into good draconians instead. (That's down to the laws of nature of Dragonlance balancing out good and evil.)

Anyhoo, some folks find this a bit controversial. I think there are some sources on regular draconians that suggest that evil creatures are summoned from the lower planes to create the life force of regular draconians.

Someone with better Dragonlance-fu than me can probably clarify the controversy.

But, even if standard draconians do have the souls of summoned demons, I still think that the summoning ritual could work backwards and summon angels or somesuch. So if I wanted to use that part of the canon, I think there would be a way to make a parrallel explanation for noble draconians.

If you do get Bestiary of Krynn you might be interested in the "Fan Enhancement" on Dragonlance Nexus, called Noble Draconian Monster Classes. MagusRogue has broken down the Racial Hit Dice that the noble draconians get, to turn it into a set of Racial Classes that mean you can actually play a 1st Level character that is any of the noble draconians.

I really like these Racial Classes (which I see in several of the MWP books) because they unlock high ECL races for low level play. All you have to do to use them is lock the PC down to only advancing in the Racial Class, until they have maxed out in it. Then they take a normal character class at that level. (MagusRogue's article will give you an idea about how powerful each noble draconian is and what abilities they have, but you need the book to play these races.)

There are a couple of other draconian types in Time of the Dragon, which are experimental draconians made when the draconian creation ritual was being perfected. (I have wondered what sort of draconians could be created from the eggs of other dragons. D&D has plenty of other dragons.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

apotheot
Troll

Post by apotheot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am

To my knowledge, The Noble Draconian didn't appear in any novels, though I vaguely recall someone in some seminar at some convention saying that the early plans for a non-existent 3rd book in the Kang's Regiment series by Weis and Perren would likely have tackled the subject. Apart from the ones in the 3e Beastiary, I remember there being a few more rare ones introduced in 4e. Don't remember the reference, but I am sure someone on here such as Rip will recall if for me. :)

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:19 pm

apotheot wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:00 am
Apart from the ones in the 3e Beastiary, I remember there being a few more rare ones introduced in 4e. Don't remember the reference, but I am sure someone on here such as Rip will recall if for me. :)
Draconomicon: Metallic Dragons introduced a few new types of draconians based on the new kinds of metallic dragons that were (re)introduced in 4e, but those are still evil, metallic ones.

I remember having read about the noble draconians in Dragons of Krynn, but I haven't read that book in a while. I'll check it at home.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm
Anyhoo, some folks find this a bit controversial. I think there are some sources on regular draconians that suggest that evil creatures are summoned from the lower planes to create the life force of regular draconians.

Someone with better Dragonlance-fu than me can probably clarify the controversy.
The 2e Dragonlance Monstrous Compendium Appendix stated that the souls of abishai were used to create draconians. Abishai, as we know from other sources like the 1e MMII, are lesser devils who serve Tiamat, and they're color-coded just like chromatic dragons are: there are white abishai, black abishai, blue abishai, red abishai, and green abishai. Dragonlance sources never specified which kind of abishai became which kind of draconians. It might be random.

Later sources presented draconians as beings capable of sexual reproduction among themselves and less inherently evil than one might imagine if they were literal devils possessing the bodies of aborted dragon fetuses. So probably it's not as simple as that. I think it's more like reincarnation than diabolic possession; draconians don't have any clear memories of being devils and their new lives as draconians are tabula rasas, a brand new start as a new kind of mortal. Whatever their souls were in the past, they're draconians now, and they don't necessarily get their old jobs back if they die.

Noble draconians might have the reborn souls of celestials, though there isn't a dragon-themed archon species serving Bahamut in the same way that abishai serve Tiamat. Hound archons might be roughly equivalent.

rendclaw
Troll

Post by rendclaw » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 am

As for stats... I found them online.

Draconian, Rosak Invented by Todd M. Helfter

CLIMATE/TERRAIN Any
FREQUENCY Rare
ORGANIZATION Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE Any
DIET Special
INTELLIGENCE Exceptional (15-16)
TREASURE
ALIGNMENT Chaotic Good
------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO. APPEARING 1-2
ARMOR CLASS 1
MOVEMENT 6, Run 15* Glide 18
HIT DICE 8
THAC0 13
NO. OF ATTACKS 2 or 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK 1d4/1d4/1d6
SPECIAL ATTACKS Spells and Breath
SPECIAL DEFENSES +3 bonus to saves
MAGIC RESISTANCE 20%
SIZE M (7' tall)
MORALE Champion (15)
XP VALUE 6,000

*This movement rate applies when the draconian is running on all fours, flapping its wings.

Rosaks are the only draconians to have been created from evil dragon eggs. They are derived from the eggs of red dragons. They are soft spoken and warm hearted toward their friends, but savage and cunning when it comes to a fight. Rosaks average six-feet-tall and have trim torsos and long limbs. Their scales are a dark rosy color tinged with bright red. Small gray spines grow from the backs of their heads. They have long sharp teeth and recessed eyes that give them a look of intense cunning and ferocity. They speak with a deep authoratative voice that is both soft and forceful. Rosaks often outfit themselves in heavy armor, preferring to wear plate mail. If plate mail cannot be obtained then they will settle on chain mail.

COMBAT
Rosaks gain great satisfaction in bringing about the defeat of evil opponents of any race, but this feeling is the most intense when defeating evil draconians and dragons. They prefer to be in the front lines of combat where they hope to find the greatest excitement. Unlike a vast majority of the draconians, who relish the suffering of others above other things, Rosaks live for the excitement of battle and can be the fiercest of fighters. Like the red dragons that they were derived from, Rosaks have a natural immunity to fire, both magical and mundane.
Once per day, they can cast Obscure Alignment and twice per day they can polymorph into any other draconian that they have ever seen. The heightened senses of the Rosaks give them infravision to 60 feet, and the ability to detect hidden and invisible creatures within 40 feet.

Rosaks have three modes of attacks. First they can use any weapon appropriate to their class following the rules of that class. Second, they can exhale a fiery blast of breath that is ten feet long and one foot wide, three times per day. Any victims caught in the blast suffer 8d4 points of damage (a successful saving throw means half-damage). Third. Rosaks can attack with claws and fangs (1d4/1d4/1d6), though such attacks are rarely used.
Once per day, Rosaks can cast two wizard spells of 1st to 3rd level. They prefer fire based spells that include but are not limited to; Burning Hands, Flaming Sphere, and Fireball. Rosaks gain a +3 bonus to all saving throws. When a Rosak reaches 0 hit points, its body turns into a pool of clear fresh water ten feet in diameter which lasts for three rounds before evaporating. This transformation takes one complete round. Anyone touching the water has 1d4 hit points restored to them from the waters healing properties. Anyone drinking the water has 1d8 hit points restored. The water will evaporate even if it is placed in a sealed container

HABITAT/SOCIETY
Because of their superior abilities, Rosaks are easily adaptable to all environments, thought they may seek to keep their true nature hidden for their own protection. They love all treasure, especially magical weapons and platinum coins.

ECOLOGY
Rosaks have a compulsive need to bring about the destruction of their evil cousins. There is no restriction to what a Rosak will eat, though most prefer meat and wine. They will consume other alcohol if they must, to keep up appearances, but will avoid them at other times. The use of a Rosak scale in addition to the regular components of any fire-based spell will increase the effectiveness of the spell by one level (i.e. a 5th level wizard could cast a 6 die Fireball). The scale is consumed even if the other components are not.

HISTORY
The existence of the Rosak draconians went largely unnoticed until very recently. According to the great historian, Astinius of Palanthas, they were created by Sorian, a renegade magic-user, and the Brass Dragon Brillianta, during the War of the Lance as an attempt to turn the tide against the armies of the evil dragons. No one is sure just how many were created, but the number couldn't have been many for Sorian was killed during the war defending his homeland from invaders.

Lightning Draconian

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Special
INTELLIGENCE: Exceptional (15-16)
TREASURE: See Below
ALIGNMENT: Lawful Good

NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 6, Run 15*, Glide 18, Fly 24 (C)
HIT DICE: 8
THAC0: 13
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3 or 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-12 / 2-12 / 2-20
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Spells
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Immune to electricity
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 30%
SIZE: M (6½' tall)
MORALE: Fearless (19-20)
XP VALUE:

* This movement rate applies when the draconian is running on all fours, flapping its wings.

Lightning draconians were derived from blue dragons, created before all the other types of noble draconians were created (when it was assumed that an evil dragon egg would yield an evil draconian). They were allowed to inherit more powers of their dragon parents than any other chromatic draconian. It was the Lightning draconians that were responsible for liberating the other noble draconians. They are utterly fearless and devoted to the cause of good. Lightning draconians compare with Auraks, but fight with strength and courage as opposed to Auraks, who rely on stealth and wizardry.

Lightning draconians are born with dark blue scales which fade to sky blue with age. Bony ridges line their spine, continuing on their heavy tail. They are known to disguise themselves in heavy suits of armor, strapping their tails behind their backs.

Combat: When attacked by non-evil humanoids, Lightning draconians fight to subdue. When battling evil, however, they fight with zeal and bloodlust. When not using melee weapons, they are devastating, using both claws and a tail slap. Their claws are electrically charged, much like a shocking grasp spell. (Creatures immune to electrical attacks only suffer 1-6 points of damage from a claw attack.) Size M size creatures and smaller most make a Saving Throw vs. Paralysis to retain their feet after being hit with a Lightning draconian's tail.

Quite a few Lightning draconians (65%) cast priest spell, each revering a particular god of good. They cast two spells each level up to fourth.

When a Lightning draconian reaches 0 hit points, the tremendous amount of electricity in them builds up and discharges. The effects are identical to an 8-die Chain Lightning spell cast at the closest target.

Habitat/Society: Lightning draconians are the rarest of all the varied types of draconians. They spend most of their adult lives without ever seeing another of their own kind. Most Lightning draconians adopt a particular community to protect, remaining there for years until it feels the urge to move on. [Fifth Age Addition: Surviving Lightning Draconians would want to eliminate spawn and fight to resist the dragon overlords.]

Ecology: While it can eat almost anything, from meat, to vegetables, to gemstones, a Lightning draconian only craves fresh meat, an instinct inherited from its dragon parent. They often hunt near the communities they protect, killing only animals and evil monsters.

Frost Draconian

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any (preferably cold)
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Special
INTELLIGENCE: Low (5-7)
TREASURE: M,Q
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Good

NO. APPEARING: Varies
ARMOR CLASS: 4
MOVEMENT: 9, Run 15*, Glide 18
HIT DICE: 2
THAC0: 19
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2 or 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1d3 x2 or by weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS: None
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Cold Immunity
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 15%
SIZE: M (5')
XP VALUE: 175

* This movement rate applies when the draconian is running on all fours, flapping its wings.

Frost draconians are derivations of white dragons. Though they inherit that breed's limited intellect and short temper, they instinctively follow the path of good.

These draconians are shorter than most men, standing about five feet tall. They are winged, like all types of noble draconians. Two small horns grow from the ridges above their pale blue eyes. Their scales are an ivory white, which fade with age. Their scales are cold to the touch, and a person standing near one might feel a chill.

Like most noble draconians, they tend to live on the fringe of civilization, helping people in need, and hoping for eventual acceptance. Some become embittered by the prejudices of man and live as hermits.

Combat: Frost draconians are quite aggressive when angered, and rarely use sophisticated fighting tactics. If more than one are cooperating, then they will attempt to surround their victims. They fight with claws or whatever weapons they might have, preferably cleaving/crushing weapons . (A Frost draconian who obtains a Frostreaver would be a happy one indeed.)

It is important to note that a Frost draconian is most often encountered in disguise. It would have to shed this in order utilize its full movement rate and claw attacks.

When a Frost draconian reaches 0 hit points, its body temperature drops so rapidly it freezes and shatters, the crystalline shards doing 2-8 points of damage to anyone within 10 feet.

Habitat/Society: Because they are so rare, Frost draconians are rarely found in groups or even pairs. Despite this, they are actually quite social creatures and will associate freely with those who accept them as good. When companionship of this sort cannot be found, Frost draconians are known to live near communities for a time, acting as a sort of unseen guardian.

While they enjoy companionship, these draconians tend to wander, most often migrating towards colder climes. They think of themselves as unique creatures and would not advocate the creation of more draconians of any type. [Addition: They would consider spawn to be abominations to be destroyed.]

Ecology: Because of their resemblance to other types of draconians, Frost draconians are often hunted and persecuted by humanoids. The evil draconians fear and despise all noble draconians and will attack on sight. Because of this, they tend to live out their lives alone.

Frost draconians can eat anything, animal, mineral, or vegetable. They generally find it distasteful to eat other intelligent races.
AKA DM Brian: Thaco's Hammer Podcast (co-host), and Hammers of the Duchy AP Podcast (Host, Executive Producer).
Confessions Of An Arcade Addict Podcast (host, Executive Producer)

http://www.thacoshammer.info
http://archive.org/details/Thacoshammer_gmail_archive
http://www.anchor.fm/coaa
"Gotcha" rules are a bummer." --Frank Mentzer.

"Sandbox can be fun. But don't go on the all-sand diet; it'll wear out your DM." --Frank Mentzer (again).

Return to “Dragonlance”