Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Post Reply
User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20526
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by Havard » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 pm

Trying to get an overview of the timeline

WAR OF THE LANCE
351-352 AC: Events of the Chronicles
356-357 AC: Events of Legends
383 AC: Dragons of Summer Flame
384 AC Corresponds to Forgotten Realms' DR 1371

AGE OF MORTALS
414 AC: Default Age of Mortals Campaign begins.
421 AC: The War of Souls
422 AC - Dark Disciple Trilogy
424-425 - Taladas Trilogy
425-427 Rise of Solamnia Trilogy
AC433 Goblin Nation: The Stonetellers, Volume Three

AC504 Corresponds to Current 5E Forgotten Realms Timeline

Sources:
http://www.raistlin.ca/timeline.aspx
http://dlnexus.com/lexicon/17770.aspx

Does this look right?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

apotheot
Troll
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by apotheot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am

the "current" 5e year is subjective. There is no canon consistency in matching the timelines of FR and DL. Attempts have been done using Spelljammer, as Ravenloft, Planescape, and the Wizards Three articles but all of these conflict somewhere. Though your proposed date some 80 years after the end of the War of Souls isn't a bad place for it, imho.

the final novel in the timeline is Stonetellers 3?, I had thought it was the end of the Fate of Thorbardin, which, but I am pretty sure they was the last published. Since both books are part 3 in a single story trilogy, I would have to check the books (currently packed away) to see if there are dates.

At first glance most other dates look ok except I am not sure about the default age of mortals one...would have to look at a timeline.
apotheot.

User avatar
RobJN
Dire Flumph
Posts: 4405
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:33 pm
Gender: male
Location: Texas, USA
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by RobJN » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:33 pm

Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25464
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:35 pm

I know I got warned about the timeline that came with Dragonlance Campaign Setting, but I can't remember exactly what I got told was wrong with it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 25464
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:49 pm

I just wanted to point out this was a link you posted was a link to the old Dragonlance Lexicon, which is no longer updated.
Havard wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:13 pm
http://dlnexus.com/lexicon/17770.aspx
Here is the new Dragonlance Lexcion article for 430 AC.

It's the same content, but new content (and improved navigation) is going to go onto the new Dragonlance Lexicon.

(The old Lexicon is mostly online now so that editors can make sure they have grabbed everything from it.)

I just filled in the last redlinks in the List of decades article.

I've been thinking about starting the List of years article, but it's going to be a massive undertaking. However, once it goes up, it will highlight all the years that never got given articles on the old Dragonlance Lexicon and the new editors will be able to start throwing up stub articles.

A feature you might like on the new Dragonlance Lexicon, is the "What links here" tool. That follows links backwards and means you can look for things that are not actually in articles (but which reference them).

Going back to that 430 AC article, we can see, from the What links here search for 430 AC article that several things that are not in the 430 AC article yet have a connection with the year. (One of those things is that Blayne Kerrigan became the Lord of Vingaard Keep.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
Havard
Dragon Turtle
Posts: 20526
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm
Gender: male
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm

apotheot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am
the "current" 5e year is subjective. There is no canon consistency in matching the timelines of FR and DL. Attempts have been done using Spelljammer, as Ravenloft, Planescape, and the Wizards Three articles but all of these conflict somewhere. Though your proposed date some 80 years after the end of the War of Souls isn't a bad place for it, imho.
Thanks! I was basing that on some charts that I saved in my HD. Sadly I don't remember who to credit.

the final novel in the timeline is Stonetellers 3?, I had thought it was the end of the Fate of Thorbardin, which, but I am pretty sure they was the last published. Since both books are part 3 in a single story trilogy, I would have to check the books (currently packed away) to see if there are dates.
Fate of Thorbardin was not mentioned on the site I used for these references. The two previous books in the Dwarf Home Trilogy are set in AC433. Could all three books span across just a single year? If not, we might have information about a later year in Krynn's history.
At first glance most other dates look ok except I am not sure about the default age of mortals one...would have to look at a timeline.
I did some prelimiary work on this a few years ago, when trying to chronicle some of my own exploration of Krynn as a player. I think that is when I made note of that date.

Let me know if you find out anything more! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

User avatar
Falconer
Hill Giant
Posts: 487
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:42 pm
Gender: male
Location: Northwest Indiana
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by Falconer » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 pm

I would group the major events like this:


CLASSIC

1 PC: The Cataclysm (“Past” of Legends #1)
100 AC: The Dwarfgate War (“Past” of Legends #2)

351-352 AC: The War of the Lance (DL1-14 modules / Chronicles)
356-357 AC: The Blue Lady’s War (“Present” of Legends)

383 AC: The Chaos War (Dragons of Summer Flame)


FIFTH AGE

31-33 SC: Dragons of a New Age (novel trilogy and five modules)


WAR OF SOULS

34 SC: Battle Lines modules
35-38 SC: The Minotaur Wars
38 SC: The War of Souls


AGE OF MORTALS

39 SC: Age of Mortals Campaign (modules trilogy)
39 SC: The Dark Disciple trilogy
42-46 SC: The Rise of Solamnia
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

apotheot
Troll
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by apotheot » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:57 am

Falconer wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:19 pm

WAR OF SOULS

34 SC: Battle Lines modules
35-38 SC: The Minotaur Wars
38 SC: The War of Souls

pretty sure the Minotaur Wars dates are wrong..., the first book has the night of the great storm which starts the War of Souls, the second book directly calls out that it is happening in the 'previous book' update.

Apotheot

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon
Posts: 3532
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:14 pm
Gender: other

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm
apotheot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am
the "current" 5e year is subjective. There is no canon consistency in matching the timelines of FR and DL. Attempts have been done using Spelljammer, as Ravenloft, Planescape, and the Wizards Three articles but all of these conflict somewhere. Though your proposed date some 80 years after the end of the War of Souls isn't a bad place for it, imho.
Thanks! I was basing that on some charts that I saved in my HD. Sadly I don't remember who to credit.
Paul Westermeyer's Spelljammer timeline has this to say about Krynn-Toril timeline synchronization:
GMWestermeyer wrote:The Spelljammer novel series provides us with our firmest chronological intersection point, and that point intersects the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms settings. The first Spelljammer novel, Beyond the Moons, is set on Krynn and is clearly set five years after the end of the War of the Lance (p76). The War of the Lance ended in 352 AC according to Dragonlance Adventures (p101), but that is really the year of the Whitestone Council. Given Teldin Moore's role as a muleskinner, and the continuing operations, his war likely ended in 353 AC (which other Dragonlance products list as the end of the War of the Lance). The second Spelljammer novel, Into the Void, is a Forgotten Realms crossover and is clearly set less then a year after Beyond the Moons (pp 63,168, & 172). "Novel Ideas" Dragon #196, an article providing a chronology of Realms fiction, sets Into the Void specifically in 1361 DR (p66). From this we get 1361 DR corresponding to 358 AC.

There are contradictory sources, however. The Ravenloft timeline has Lord Soth of Krynn entering the Demiplane of Fear in 357 AC, shortly after the Blue Lady's War (Dragonlance: Fifth Age, p22). It connects this to the year 720 in the Barovian calendar of Ravenloft (Domains of Dread, p17). It also has the Forgotten Realms elven vampire Jander Sunstar drawn from the Forgotten Realms into Ravenloft in 1098 DR in the Realms, and 452 in the Barovian calendar (Domains of Dread, p16, Villain's Lorebook, p16). However, "Novel Ideas" Dragon #196 places the Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft crossover novel in 1098 DR and 475 Barovian (p65). Following the Ravenloft/Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms link we have 1361 DR corresponding to 352 or 375 AC.

The Planescape accessory On Hallowed Ground also provides a contradiction. It states that the events of the Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Summer Flame, occurred recently (p164). The novel is set in 383 AC. It also states that the Time of Troubles occurred in the Forgotten Realms just over twelve years ago (p168). The Time of Troubles was in 1358 DR, so that would link 1370 DR and 383 AC. Using this as an intersection 1361 DR would correspond to 374 AC.

apotheot
Troll
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Gender: male
Contact:

Re: Dragonlance Timeline: Key Events

Post by apotheot » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:08 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:35 pm
Havard wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:00 pm
apotheot wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:36 am
the "current" 5e year is subjective. There is no canon consistency in matching the timelines of FR and DL. Attempts have been done using Spelljammer, as Ravenloft, Planescape, and the Wizards Three articles but all of these conflict somewhere. Though your proposed date some 80 years after the end of the War of Souls isn't a bad place for it, imho.
Thanks! I was basing that on some charts that I saved in my HD. Sadly I don't remember who to credit.
Paul Westermeyer's Spelljammer timeline has this to say about Krynn-Toril timeline synchronization:
GMWestermeyer wrote:The Spelljammer novel series provides us with our firmest chronological intersection point, and that point intersects the Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms settings. The first Spelljammer novel, Beyond the Moons, is set on Krynn and is clearly set five years after the end of the War of the Lance (p76). The War of the Lance ended in 352 AC according to Dragonlance Adventures (p101), but that is really the year of the Whitestone Council. Given Teldin Moore's role as a muleskinner, and the continuing operations, his war likely ended in 353 AC (which other Dragonlance products list as the end of the War of the Lance). The second Spelljammer novel, Into the Void, is a Forgotten Realms crossover and is clearly set less then a year after Beyond the Moons (pp 63,168, & 172). "Novel Ideas" Dragon #196, an article providing a chronology of Realms fiction, sets Into the Void specifically in 1361 DR (p66). From this we get 1361 DR corresponding to 358 AC.

There are contradictory sources, however. The Ravenloft timeline has Lord Soth of Krynn entering the Demiplane of Fear in 357 AC, shortly after the Blue Lady's War (Dragonlance: Fifth Age, p22). It connects this to the year 720 in the Barovian calendar of Ravenloft (Domains of Dread, p17). It also has the Forgotten Realms elven vampire Jander Sunstar drawn from the Forgotten Realms into Ravenloft in 1098 DR in the Realms, and 452 in the Barovian calendar (Domains of Dread, p16, Villain's Lorebook, p16). However, "Novel Ideas" Dragon #196 places the Forgotten Realms/Ravenloft crossover novel in 1098 DR and 475 Barovian (p65). Following the Ravenloft/Dragonlance/Forgotten Realms link we have 1361 DR corresponding to 352 or 375 AC.

The Planescape accessory On Hallowed Ground also provides a contradiction. It states that the events of the Dragonlance novel, Dragons of Summer Flame, occurred recently (p164). The novel is set in 383 AC. It also states that the Time of Troubles occurred in the Forgotten Realms just over twelve years ago (p168). The Time of Troubles was in 1358 DR, so that would link 1370 DR and 383 AC. Using this as an intersection 1361 DR would correspond to 374 AC.
Yes, this is one of the "attempts" I have mentioned. It does ignore the Wizards Three articles, as well as some other Planescape works such as the Guide to the Astral, which seems to support the On Hallowed Ground assertion that the disappearance was relatively recent. The real issue is that time might not flow at the same rate in different Crystal Spheres. Since the start of player involvement in Dragonlance, on two different occasions time advanced much faster than it did on other worlds. (between the Blue Lady's War and Chaos War, and from the Chaos War the start of 5th Age.) so as I said, trying to date current 5e Dragonlance is pretty subjective.
-apotheot

Post Reply

Return to “Dragonlance”