My take on the Age of Mortals and 5e

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Knight of Gondor
Kobold

My take on the Age of Mortals and 5e

Post by Knight of Gondor »

With the publication of Dragons of Summer Flame, I was never happy with the direction Dragonlance took. It just never felt correct with me. When third edition came about and the Mina trilogy was published, I did like many of the story aspects, especially ones that reset the clock in a way but again felt that some of decisions, especially those that were clearly insertions of 3rd edition aspects turned me cold.

Now fast forward many years later, I find myself yet again drawn to this world. I was actually considering a homebrew, and I guess I still am, when I came across some old notes regarding the Tower of Daltigoth. This led to some speculation and me typing away last night.

What follows is my attempts at bridging the gaps in my mind. Yes I am just as guilty of creating fan fiction that inserts rules in a setting but I hope I have not tread on anyone else hollowed ground. I thought I would share; to get feedback, to get inspiration to write more.

Note, though I would believe most have the read books mentioned above spoilers lie below.

I hope you enjoy...

Wuchner’s Take on the Age of Mortals

As described in the book Dragons of Summer Flame, the Greygem of Gargoth was cracked open and the Elder god Chaos was released; the rest is only now truly known…

1. A mysterious young woman named Mina, is presented to both the Orders of Solomnia and of Neraka, and the Conclave of Wizardry as the adoptive daughter of Takhisis. Takhisis requests that Mina is to become the Supreme Commander of the Mortal forces. Strangely the god, Paladine agrees with Takhisis. The High Wizard Par Salian appoints the White Wizard Palin Majere as the Conclave’s Emmisary to the War Council. Mina forms an alliance with the White Wizard Palin Majere, and the Nightlord Steel Brightblade; together the three of them are instrumental in keeping the forces of Chaos in check and assembling the necessary items of power, the Crown of Power, the Staff of the Magius and an Orb of Dragonkind, to create the Eldritch Lance, a weapon that might be able to kill Chaos.

2. Takhisis and Nuitari betray the other gods, and attempt to use the war as means to consolidate power. Steel discovers the Dark Queen’s treachery as well as Nuitari’s usurpation of magic. Citing the Oath and the Measure, he challenges Takhisis’ authority and demands that she submits to the Trial of Justice; all the while knowing Takhisis response would be to simply kill him without honor. But unbeknownst to Takhisis, the White Wizard Palin Majere witnesses the murder and used his magic to warn not only the other gods, but the Conclave of Wizardry, both sects of knighthood, as well as Mina, who had fallen in love with Steel.

3. At the Gates of the Last Citadel, the magical fortress of Magic, Palin confronts Nuitari. Though gravely wounded, Palin uses the Elder lance to wound Nuitari whose blood both opens the Gates to the Citadel as well as a rift to the Abyss. Now freed from their prison, the other two gods of magic confront their dark cousin. Realizing that magic must remain free to the mortals, Lunitari and Solinari sacrifice their divinity. In doing so they set Raistlin free, and raise him to godhood. Using the combine powers of both Red and White magic and feeding off the tear from the Abyss, Raistlin steals the mantel of magic from Nuitari and banishes him to the void.

4. During the Last Battle, Mina, using the Eldritch lance, mortally wounds Chaos. Takhisis attempts to steal the elder god’s essence but is blocked by the Hour-Glass god, Raistlin. Palin uses the planar energy to set the other gods free. It is then revealed that Mina is in fact the daughter of Paladine and Mishakal. With the balance of divine power now upset, existence is in danger. With the exception of Takhisis, all the gods agree that the balance must be restored. As the only being who knows both divinity and mortality, good and evil, triumph and despair, and lastly, logic and madness, the gods elect Raistlin to be the new High-god. Takhisis, enraged with this decision seizes the Eldritch lance and attempts to slay Raistlin. Mina, still grieving from the murder of Steel and conflicted by the news of her parentage, grabs a shard of Chaos and hurls it at Takhisis who blocks it with the Eldritch lance, causing it to detonate. Takhisis’ burnt and mangled body falls to the ground and her essence dissipates. Only Mina weeps over the loss.

5. Raistlin’s first decree as High-god is to protect the Balance, to do so one of the god’s of light must give up their divinity. Paladine readily accepts this responsibility but before he can do so, the god Majere intervenes. Majere’s only request; that his clerics could learn power through sacrifice; the Way of the Monk. His second decry known as the Law of Immortal Sundering, creates the Age of Mortals. Through this law, all the gods are banished from walking the plane of Krynn. The gods could only indirectly influence the plane through their worshipper’s actions and the spells of their clerics. As part of this decry, Raistlin, as the Watchman of High Magic, forbade that he himself could have no clerics. Raistlin’s third decry was for Mina, now known as the goddess of Tears, would remain outside all three pantheons, and instead would join Raistlin as his warden. With that the gods returned to their realms. However, in the Abyss something screams in rage and anger…

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: My take on the Age of Mortals and 5e

Post by Big Mac »

Knight of Gondor wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:11 pm
With the publication of Dragons of Summer Flame, I was never happy with the direction Dragonlance took. It just never felt correct with me. When third edition came about and the Mina trilogy was published, I did like many of the story aspects, especially ones that reset the clock in a way but again felt that some of decisions, especially those that were clearly insertions of 3rd edition aspects turned me cold.

Now fast forward many years later, I find myself yet again drawn to this world. I was actually considering a homebrew, and I guess I still am, when I came across some old notes regarding the Tower of Daltigoth. This led to some speculation and me typing away last night.

What follows is my attempts at bridging the gaps in my mind. Yes I am just as guilty of creating fan fiction that inserts rules in a setting but I hope I have not tread on anyone else hollowed ground. I thought I would share; to get feedback, to get inspiration to write more.

Note, though I would believe most have the read books mentioned above spoilers lie below.

I hope you enjoy...
I've avoided the spoilers because I have not read those books yet.

But I have heard about Takhisis stealing Krynn and that's problematic for me (as a Spelljammer fan who wants to use Krynnspace) so I see where you are coming from.

One of the 3e MWP books wrote about "alternate Krynns" (where certain things are rebooted). If you have any problems selling the differences in your Age of Mortals campaign, you might want to use that term, as it might get people onboard with the concept faster.

Have you thought about any ripple effects that might come up from your changes (where one change invalidates a number of other elements in Dragonlance canon)? I'll be interested to hear if anything unusual comes up, as you develop your game.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm »

Check out the Age of Dragons alternate timeline in the Legends of the Twins sourcebook from Margaret Weis Productions.

I wrote it as an alternative to the Age of Mortals. Kind of a "What if the Fifth Age didn't happen?" This includes some of the stuff that Tas saw in the alternate timeline in War of Souls.

I also did the Dragonlands and War of the Darklance alternate timelines. The other three are quite good too.

Check it out!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Not a Decepticon
Kobold

Post by Not a Decepticon »

With that the gods returned to their realms. However, in the Abyss something screams in rage and anger…
I take this could be a possible option to have all those "villains want to free Tiamat" modules they put in Forgotten Realms easy to translate into Dragonlance with Takhisis instead? I was thinking of running the Tyranny of Dragons or Red Hand of Doom in Dragonlance so this could be pretty useful to make it fit better.

Knight of Gondor
Kobold

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 am
One of the 3e MWP books wrote about "alternate Krynns" (where certain things are rebooted). If you have any problems selling the differences in your Age of Mortals campaign, you might want to use that term, as it might get people on board with the concept faster.

Have you thought about any ripple effects that might come up from your changes (where one change invalidates a number of other elements in Dragonlance canon)? I'll be interested to hear if anything unusual comes up, as you develop your game.
Yes I own the MWP book that you are referring. In fact that is where I got the idea of calling Raistlin the Hour-Glass god.

As far as ripple effects, I am not that worried. The only cannon that I worry about was what was established in the first trilogy and to a lesser extent the Twins trilogy. To me the defining things for Dragonlance, has always been about the organizations (The knights, the wizards, the elves, the dwarves etc.), the war/post war, and the fact that is a post apocalyptic world and all that implies.

I have never liked the addition of the Sorcerers and Mystics that came about after Dragons of Summer flame. I have never been comfortable with gods or even their avatars walking the planet. Also, never liked how dragons were portrayed, mainly as steeds and servants of mortals. Lastly I hated the idea that there were never orcs present, even though in one of the early chapters of Dragons of Autumns Twilight, I believe they were referenced.

These are not just my gripes but also the gripes of people I play with.

Again, I posted my ideas just to share; not trying to convert people or tell them how to have fun.

Thanks for the input, I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Knight of Gondor
Kobold

Not a Decepticon wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:07 pm
With that the gods returned to their realms. However, in the Abyss something screams in rage and anger…
I take this could be a possible option to have all those "villains want to free Tiamat" modules they put in Forgotten Realms easy to translate into Dragonlance with Takhisis instead? I was thinking of running the Tyranny of Dragons or Red Hand of Doom in Dragonlance so this could be pretty useful to make it fit better.
That is a possibility but it is in fact the least likely plot thread for me to take. But if it works for you great!

The complaints I often get when I propose running a Dragonlance game is usually that even if you don't run the original modules, Dragonlance will still be a rail road because everything ends up about fighting Takhisis, the pantheon of darkness or their minions. And I do have to agree with that statement. Except for the Taladus box set, almost everything else produced for Dragonlance focuses on the above. As one of my players put it " I want to play D&D not Dragonlance"; he actually sees it as a very specific subset of D&D to a point that it is a different game.

By keeping Takhisis dead/destroyed I am hoping to move on and focus on other aspects of the world and make this campaign very D&D but still Dragonlance, or as I am going to call it my Ansalon Campaign.

Unless I get lazy or unless my players actually scream for the Dark Queen's return (something I HIGHLY doubt) I have something totally different in mind. In fact I have three things that are possible source of the screaming and rage...just have not committed to a single choice yet.

Return to “Dragonlance”