Feasibility of a 5e Dragonlance war of the lance campaign

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Feasibility of a 5e Dragonlance war of the lance campaign

Post by Corsair14 »

Im trying to come up with a means of playing a Dragonlance campaign. I am trying to come up with a variety of answers to questions.
Goal: Trying to avoid the typical trope that my current campaign has of dungeon after dungeon to find a McGuffin to stop an evil cult from bringing a god into the world. So I am looking for ideas of what my parties goals might be outside of endless dungeon crawling. I want it to have a heroic feel to it.

Character classes- Obviously certain classes don't exist. Dragonlance nexus has a Solamnic knight class for 5e to take the place of Paladins that's about the only thing I have covered.

Sorcerers: I don't have an issue with using this class as is. What is their interaction with the College of Magic?

Warlocks aside from being incredibly high powered, would they exist in DL? What justification and what does the College of Magic have to say about them. I have no problem axing them completely.

Races: I will allow normal races + Minotaurs and maybe a few other odds and ends but as much as I love Draconians as a player races, in the War of the Lance they would be 100% bad guys. Kender to make it easy would stat as halflings unless I can find some 5e info on DL nexus.

Is there a good source of info during the War of the Lance time period? I don't want to run the actual rail road modules nor do I want the PCs to be Tanis and Goldmoon etc. This brings me back to the start on what can my players do long term? I was already planning on having them be in a fort to start the game which comes under attack by Draconian forces for the first time.

Right now I am in the brainstorming phase.

maddog
Frost Giant

Re: Feasibility of a 5e Dragonlance war of the lance campaign

Post by maddog »

I'm very interested in this idea. The original campaign really is about stopping an evil god from entering the world so there's that. Sorcerers at the time of the WotL would be hunted as renegades by the Mages of the Towers of High Sorcerery. Worlocks as a class came long after this was published so not sure what to say on that one. They would probably be treated as renegades as well. No problems with the races. IIRC, Minotaurs were a possible playable race all the way back to the 1e era.

As for good information on the WotL, there's the original modules for 1e, the 3e book, The War of the Lance, IIRC. The Karen Wynn Fonstad Atlas of Krynn that outlines the events of the novels as well as gives you some interesting maps. I wouldn't say that all of them would be usable for gaming though. You should also go through the "Other Dragonlance websites" viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21 thread too. I'm sure there's more there.

There's a couple ideas from the top of my head. :)

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Not a Decepticon
Kobold

Post by Not a Decepticon »

Corsair14 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:06 pm
Im trying to come up with a means of playing a Dragonlance campaign. I am trying to come up with a variety of answers to questions.
Goal: Trying to avoid the typical trope that my current campaign has of dungeon after dungeon to find a McGuffin to stop an evil cult from bringing a god into the world. So I am looking for ideas of what my parties goals might be outside of endless dungeon crawling. I want it to have a heroic feel to it.

Character classes- Obviously certain classes don't exist. Dragonlance nexus has a Solamnic knight class for 5e to take the place of Paladins that's about the only thing I have covered.

Sorcerers: I don't have an issue with using this class as is. What is their interaction with the College of Magic?

Warlocks aside from being incredibly high powered, would they exist in DL? What justification and what does the College of Magic have to say about them. I have no problem axing them completely.

Races: I will allow normal races + Minotaurs and maybe a few other odds and ends but as much as I love Draconians as a player races, in the War of the Lance they would be 100% bad guys. Kender to make it easy would stat as halflings unless I can find some 5e info on DL nexus.

Is there a good source of info during the War of the Lance time period? I don't want to run the actual rail road modules nor do I want the PCs to be Tanis and Goldmoon etc. This brings me back to the start on what can my players do long term? I was already planning on having them be in a fort to start the game which comes under attack by Draconian forces for the first time.

Right now I am in the brainstorming phase.
Paladin could be just a knight and you could make an agreement with the player their class features function mechanically the same but they must roleplay them as mundane. Instead of lay on hands you must roleplay how you tend the wounds of your ally, when you smite evil you must roleplay how you put "all your strength" into the blow, etc. Ditto Ranger who I feel would be otherwise a bigger issue - you can easily replace Paladin with a Fighter in a pinch, but Ranger feels like an option someone will try if even for the "sword and bow in accord" flavor.

I would just ban Warlock or at least most flavors of it, but Sorcerer...you could just have him be still having the same backstory as wizard just work differently mechanically.

Kender could be a subrace for Halflings, I would give them +1 Charisma and Sleight of Hand proficiency. I get not wanting Draconians but have you considered allowing Goblinoids? A player could easily write in a Goblin or Hobgoblin who decided to turncoat and maybe even has a personal grudge against any of the baddies like Fellmaster Toede.

I also have a suggestion - drop the party onto the seas during these times, there is likely an entire story to write about a sea campaign in these times.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Out of curiosity, does anyone have thoughts on how to Krynn's moons in a way that feels like it does them justice, but maintains 5e's "keep it simple" approach?

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 »

No. I haven't ever actually paid much attention to the moon thing, I guess I really should.

I don't have a link on me but on the DL reddit someone posted a really good guide on starting a pre-war of the Lance campaign on Sunday. Basically a nutshell ignore having the characters involved in the big events of the WoL(and not go slavishly to the time line), start the characters as level one in a rural town as no one special, have the towns more experienced local adventurers go missing exploring some nearby ruins and have all kinds of clues and rumors and then the players decide to go do hero stuff. The guide has them getting involved and finding out that a vampire has taken them and turned them. I personally would instead have them discover a scout group from the dragon armies that no one knew existed and go from there. PCs initially are more running around doing errands for knights and other groups trying to get a handle on the sudden onslaught. It later can be moved into finding out about the various Dragonlances and quests for the Mcguffins or trying to find the good dragons.

Raymond
Bugbear

Post by Raymond »

DL15's "Tanglewood Keep" starts characters on Krynn during the start of the War of the Lance.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Corsair14 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 pm
No. I haven't ever actually paid much attention to the moon thing, I guess I really should.
I'm a firm believer of making each world your own. If the moons aren't a big deal to you, then ignore them or make them set dressing. If my question piqued your interest, maybe take a quick look at the way they're handled in the AD&D campaign book (that's where I seem to recall reading about them), and see if it sounds like a fun addition. If not, no worries.
Corsair14 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 pm
I don't have a link on me but on the DL reddit someone posted a really good guide on starting a pre-war of the Lance campaign on Sunday. Basically a nutshell ignore having the characters involved in the big events of the WoL(and not go slavishly to the time line), start the characters as level one in a rural town as no one special, have the towns more experienced local adventurers go missing exploring some nearby ruins and have all kinds of clues and rumors and then the players decide to go do hero stuff.
Would you avoid dropping hints that the PCs are on Krynn, to prevent players from knowing what's coming? Or are you playing with folks who aren't familiar with Dragonlance? Or are able to avoid metagaming with their knowledge?

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 »

In this case although its on pause for the time being until we are allowed to interact again, these are player who know nothing about Dragonlance. Their only experience is with my previous Greyhawk campaign and general 5th. I actually have a newer issue I didn't notice how bad it was until we started an over facebook video chat campaign of d6 Star Wars is how little my players actually role play. For d6 SW I called up one of my old players from our decade long campaign in highschool/college and got him in on it. The difference between him actually role playing and doing what the character would do(for better or worse, he is playing Frank from Shameless as a failed jedi) and the others waiting on me to prod them onto the next combat is night and day. I realized how much my campaign due to their just wanting to kill things in tactical combat made our dnd session into less a role playing game and more of a tabletop wargame. I am going to have to work at my dnd campaign to try and sand box it more like my SW game so its not just a series of combat encounters. For reference I tried to RP the beast master ranger obtaining his pet(and it was the pet he requested) and had it kill one of their enemies and approach tail wagging, kind of going for that Groot scene where he kills everyone and looks back as if to ask "Did I do good?" Yeah the player attacked it as soon as it got into weapons range."Well I didn't know?"

pawsplay
Hill Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Paladins would just be Knights of the Rose, and Knights of Takhisis.
Warlocks don't seem to exist.
Artificer would generally be limited to gnomes and elves, without an exceptional backstory.

Kender are lightfoot halflings.
I think the Ravnica Minotaur would be fine for minotaurs, or you could use a homebrew.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

During the War of the Lance I would consider both Sorcerers and Warlocks as Renegades.

I feel like the concept of Renegade Wizards was never fully developed in Dragonlance. Why are they so bad? Why is Takhisis willing to work with both Renegades and Black Robes Wizards?

I think it might be interesting if magic outside of the Moons was linked to Father Chaos. After the Chaos War, it is easier for Palin to develop a safe form of Sorcery since Chaos has been defeated, but before Dragons of Summer Flame, perhaps using other types of magic involved some kind of risk of freeing Chaos, or becoming corrupted by Chaos?

The idea of the Orders of Wizardry only force peoples into membership because they are interested in power/control makes them very unsympathetic for an organization composted of 2/3rds of good and neutral characters.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

pawsplay
Hill Giant

Post by pawsplay »

Like, what would a Warlock's patron be? Takhisis fills a similar role but she is a very powerful deity in her own right.
Does Krynn even have a suite of demons and devils?

Return to “Dragonlance”