Psionics on Krynn?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Psionics on Krynn?

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:40 pm

In one of the more memorable Dragonlance Campaigns I have taken part of, I played a Kender (yes indeed) who was a sort of sidekick to another player who was a Psionicist (2nd Edition).

I don't recall if it was established that the character was from another world, although this campaign did feature the occasional Spelljammer Crossovers, but I remember that we also did some writeups of possible native Krynnish races with psionic potential.

I realize that Psionics isn't everyone's favorite to the game, but has anyone else used psionics with Krynn? What are your thoughts on adapting it to the setting? The only previous thread I could find was this 4E Krynn thread.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Psionics on Krynn?

Post by night_druid » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:57 pm

IIRC, Raistlin's mom was psionic. I recall that it was mentioned in one book that she had unusual mystic abilities and eventually went mad because of those powers. I don't think it was stated explicitly that she was psionic, but it was one of those 'read between the lines' things. Since then, though, I think they decided that psionics and Krynn don't mix.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 am

Right, in the 2nd Edition era, Psionics were considered one of the no-nos in Dragonlance, along with Orcs and Drow and Lycanthropy. Even mind flayers lost almost all of their psionic ability once they landed on Krynn (becoming the Yaggol).
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:25 am

Falconer wrote:Right, in the 2nd Edition era, Psionics were considered one of the no-nos in Dragonlance, along with Orcs and Drow and Lycanthropy. Even mind flayers lost almost all of their psionic ability once they landed on Krynn (becoming the Yaggol).
The 2e Complete Psionics Handbook made it pretty clear that psionics don't exist on Krynn.

That being said...when mysticism was introduced in the Fifth Age products, many of the mystic spheres came across as psionic in nature. Mentalism is telepathy, Channeling is psychometabolism, and so on and so forth.

The key thing is to reskin the powers to sound more high fantasy in nature.

I'd love to talk about this some more. :)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:33 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Falconer wrote:Right, in the 2nd Edition era, Psionics were considered one of the no-nos in Dragonlance, along with Orcs and Drow and Lycanthropy. Even mind flayers lost almost all of their psionic ability once they landed on Krynn (becoming the Yaggol).
The 2e Complete Psionics Handbook made it pretty clear that psionics don't exist on Krynn.
Indeed, aside from Outsider (either by Spelljammer or planar Travel) Krynn had no native Psionic under 2nd Edition rules...doesn't stop a
DM to add them though.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

HobbitFan
Gnoll

Post by HobbitFan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:18 am

I like Dragonhelm's idea about psionics and mysticism. That's clever....

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:24 pm

Was there ever an "in canon" reason for psionics not working on Krynn?

TBeholder
Hill Giant

Post by TBeholder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:51 pm

Not really.
Maybe their funny magical guild just doesn't like any competition? :)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." - Michele Carter

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:15 pm

TBeholder wrote:Not really.
Maybe their funny magical guild just doesn't like any competition? :)
I just thought the magic gods were jealous of it.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Bouv wrote:Was there ever an "in canon" reason for psionics not working on Krynn?
I thought there was something in Krynnspace, buit I'm not 100% on it.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

Bouv wrote:Was there ever an "in canon" reason for psionics not working on Krynn?
Not really. That was the designers at the time trying to maintain world flavor.

Interestingly, the Realms had psionics in 2e, then they ditched them in early 3e, then they rescinded that and brought psionics back. :mrgreen:
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:28 pm

Here is something I've been working on, though I haven't had time of late to develop it further. I stole the sorcerer school of summoning to fit psychoportation. It's a fairly decent fit. I'm going to playtest this sometime soon.

Mystic Spheres and Psionic Disciplines

Alteration (Metacreativity)
Alteration magic creates objects, creatures, or some form of matter. Creatures you create usually, but not always, obey your commands.

Channeling (Psychometabolism)
Channeling allows the mystic to increase his physical prowess by using the power of his divine spark into strength, speed, or endurance. Channeling can also change the physical properties of some creature, thing, or condition.

Healing (Psychometabolism[Healing])
Healing allows the mystic to remove damage from creatures. However, mystic healing usually falls short of the true healing power of clerics, in direct comparisons. In the past, many mystics saw this as a separate discipline from Channeling. However, Healing is a sub-discipline of Channeling.

Elementalism (Psychokinesis)
Elementalism magic allows the mystic to manipulate energy or tap the power of the heart to produce a desired end. Elementalism powers can deal large amounts of damage.

Mentalism (Telepathy)
Mentalism allows the mystic to read the thoughts of others, project his own thoughts, or dominate another’s will simply through the power of the mind.

Sensitivity (Clairsentience)
Sensitivity enables a mystic to learn secrets long forgotten, to glimpse the immediate future and predict the far future, to find hidden objects, and to know what is normally unknowable.

Spiritualism (Spiritism - forthcoming)
Spiritualism deals in the essence of life and death, allowing the mystic to affect and interact with the spirit world or use the ambient energy in a corpse to give it the mockery of life.

Summoning (Psychoportation)
Summoning powers move the mystic, an object, or another creature through space and the River of Time.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:58 pm

When I ran DL in 1e, I allowed rolls to check for psionics. It only happened twice, but it was a lot of fun (as the people of Krynn don't have a clear idea of what a psionicist is, so even the Orders of High Sorcery might mistakenly believe a character to wield magic, and require him to face the Test :twisted: )

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:05 pm

I've actually been wondering if the devolution of illithids into the yaggol, might actually be down to something else.

I believe that the Elder Brain have some sort of ability to extend into another dimension. If that ability was blocked by the Krynnspace crystal sphere, and if the illithid clerics are unable to connect to their usual deities, that would potentially "cut off the leadership" of any organised illithid force that moved into Krynnspace and leave them operating at a disadvantage (vs illithids in other crystal spheres).

Without the command and control abilities, it might be easier for illithid splinter groups to break off from the domination of the leadership, and to form their own groups.

The yaggol could perhaps have been one breakaway group. Perhaps they started off as an illithid colonisation force.

I think that, if you do want to have psionics in Dragonlance...and you want them to be restricted or rebooted, that tying in the idea with the yaggol might help.

Another idea for the descent of the yaggol, is that the people of Krynn (and Krynnspace) are psionically inert, and that when an illithid tadpole takes over the body of a native of Krynn, they are tying their brain into a nerve system that is psionically stunted.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:The 2e Complete Psionics Handbook made it pretty clear that psionics don't exist on Krynn.

That being said...when mysticism was introduced in the Fifth Age products, many of the mystic spheres came across as psionic in nature. Mentalism is telepathy, Channeling is psychometabolism, and so on and so forth.

The key thing is to reskin the powers to sound more high fantasy in nature.

I'd love to talk about this some more. :)
Have you ever looked at the stuff in Dark Sun about arcane magic and divine magic combining to give you the magic that the sorcerer kings use?

Suppose that mysticism wasn't the same as psionics, but that it could somehow be combined with psionics. I wonder if that could create some sort of epic way to go with psionics on Dragonlance, that does tie-in with the themes. :?

There is one psionic Dragonlance character - or Dragonlance-ish. She is a kender called Gaeadrelle Goldring (Gaye). She stowed away on a ship, and it happened to be a spelljamming ship that went to the Rock of Bral, where she got left behind. She is in the Cloakmaster Cycle novels

Gaye does not start off as a psionic character. But during the story, she visits a crystal sphere where there is a powerful psionic creature, called a fal and the fan teaches her psionic powers.

If you want an example of how psionics would work on Krynn, I would say that Gaye would be the best thing to base your research on. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 am

Psionics do not exist on Krynn, at least prior to the Chaos War. I believe there was a short story that dealt with them suddenly showing up, but I would have read it almost 2 decades ago.
anyone remember it?

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed May 25, 2016 10:29 pm

apotheot wrote:Psionics do not exist on Krynn, at least prior to the Chaos War. I believe there was a short story that dealt with them suddenly showing up, but I would have read it almost 2 decades ago.
anyone remember it?
Psionics in Krynn shows up as a part of mysticism, so it's considered divine magic. There are psionic-like domains, such as Channeling and Mentalism.

True psionics, like the various psionic handbooks, have not made an official appearance.

What you might be thinking of is the Dragons of a New Age trilogy.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed May 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Big Mac wrote:Have you ever looked at the stuff in Dark Sun about arcane magic and divine magic combining to give you the magic that the sorcerer kings use?

Suppose that mysticism wasn't the same as psionics, but that it could somehow be combined with psionics. I wonder if that could create some sort of epic way to go with psionics on Dragonlance, that does tie-in with the themes. :?
In Dragonlance, sorcery and mysticism were supposed to be able to combine to form hybrid magic. I don't really want to take away from that to combine psionics and mysticism.

Of course, 5e psionics appears to be a very different beast.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Dragonhelm wrote: In Dragonlance, sorcery and mysticism were supposed to be able to combine to form hybrid magic.
It always seemed to me an "after the fact" idea, born with the Saga Companion, to put back into the game Wizards and Clerics, just with a different name (this, coupled with the introduction of Mantras, a.k.a. prayers and Librams, a.k.a. spellbooks, makes the match almost perfect.)
This is also the reason why I don't bother with distinguishing between sorcery and mysticism when using D&D: just use wizards and clerics, and call it a day (in fact, the Mystic was designed as a cleric kit in one of the AD&D 2e Dragon Annuals.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:10 am

Anyone who is a fan of "mysticism as psionics" and is a fan of the Pathfinder system might want to check out Occult Adventures.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:39 pm

Simple rule for psionics on the planet Krynn.

Natives do not develop psionics while they remain on Krynn. If they leave Krynn, to the outer planes for example, it is possible that they might cultivate psionic ability.

Outlanders from other worlds or the planes can use psionics on Krynn. However, for every year that they remain on Krynn they lose the ability to manifest powers from their highest psionic power level cumulatively. For example a psion able to manifest 9th level powers that remains one year on Krynn will only be able to manifest 8th level powers. If he remains two years he will only be able to manifest 7th level powers. If he leaves Krynn for the planes or another world his ability to manifest at his highest level returns instantly, however if he returns to Krynn he is still affected as before, with no renewal of a "countdown".

Thus Krynn is very hostile to psionics.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:55 pm

Is that from a [source]book?
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Is that from a [source]book?
I'm guessing Redking is talking about his own campaign. I don't think any official sourcebooks about Krynn even mention psionics.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:58 pm

Havard wrote:I'm guessing Redking is talking about his own campaign. I don't think any official sourcebooks about Krynn even mention psionics.

-Havard
Ah.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading

RPG Projects

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Quoted from CompPsi:
"Krynn, a DRAGONLANCE game setting.
No natives of Krynn, exhibit any psionic potential whatsoever. What few psionicists live on that world undoubtedly came from somewhere else (via spelljamming vessels or other magical travel) or are the descendants of psionically-able ancestors who came from another world. Only the most widely-read sages and wizards will have any knowledge of psionics."

I could have sworn Dragonlance Adventures has something about losing one psionic level/month while on Krynn, but I don't have a copy to check. I remember thinking it would be interesting to play an imported psionicist and see if you could gain XP fast enough to offset level drain.

Return to “Dragonlance”