Using the 5th Age Cards for AD&D or D&D Dragonlance?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Using the 5th Age Cards for AD&D or D&D Dragonlance?

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:35 pm

Has anyone thought about using the Fate Deck from Fifth Age SAGA in a D&D or AD&D (Any edition) game?

I am not thinking primarily of replacing the dice, but instead finding other ways to incorporate the deck? Maybe some ideas can be borrowed from how Ravenloft incorporatess the Tarokka Deck?

One idea could be to in certain situations allow for the players to draw a card and add the number to his attack rolls? Maybe something like how Action Points work in Eberron/3E Unearthed Arcana or Inspiration in 5th Edition?

It is great having these cards with the Dragonlance art on them and the alignment colors, numeric values and suits symbols. There are tons of concepts I am sure could be fun to combine with a traditional D&D game.

Any thoughts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

apotheot
Ogre

Re: Using the 5th Age Cards for AD&D or D&D Dragonlance?

Post by apotheot » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:14 pm

As someone who is running the 5th age saga right now but retro-converted to 2nd ed, I would LOVE to find a use for the cards!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Okay, here's one attempt:

Each player begins the game with 3 cards.
  • After making a an attack roll or other roll involving the 20-sided dice, the player can choose to replace the rolled number with the value of a card from his hand (1-10). If the symbol of the card corresponds to the action (Sword - attack), an additional card may be drawn from the deck and added to the value.
  • If taking damage, the player may spend one or more cards to subtract those numbers from damage taken.
  • The character may spend a card to add to his AC for a single round.
Note that in this system, cards spent are not replaced during that session. If the DM wants, he may award additional cards to be drawn to characters who play their alignment well, come up with cool ideas, great roleplaying or in other ways add to everyone having a good time around the gaming table. Cards are replaced at the beginning of each session. All cards must be discarded at the end of the session and may not be kept between sessions. In 5th Edition, this may replace the Inspiration Rules.

Cards may only be spent for one action per round, though in the case of reducing damage, multiple cards may be spent for the same action.

For TSR Era editions:
Since different dice are used for different checks and in some cases you need to roll high and others low, you need to modify the rules above a little:
  • For instance, if making ability score checks, Proficiency checks or other dice rolls where you need as low a result as possible, instead of replacing the die roll with the card, instead you subtract the value of the card from the number rolled.
  • For Thief Skill checks or other rolls involving %-dice, multiply the value of the card by 10.
  • For AC, the value of the card is subtracted from your AC that round.
What do you think?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:06 pm

I like! :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Glad you like it! :)

Here's some more...

OPTIONAL 1:
The Dragon Suit: The Dragon Cards are always Trump. Meaning you always get to draw an additonal card from the deck to add to the total when playing a card. The downside is that once a dragon card is played, you have to hand it to the DM. The DM can then spend this card to give a penalty to any roll made by a player. The DM does not get to draw an additional card from the deck when playing a dragon card in this manner though.

OPTIONAL 2:
If the players ask the DM a question about the setting, he can choose to draw a card from the deck and consult the colors:
White: Yes
Red: Yes, but...
Black: No, but...
Suit symbols and images can also be added to interpret situations!

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Dragonlance”