Is Joe Manganiello writing a Dragonlance script?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Is Joe Manganiello writing a Dragonlance script?

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:08 am

I came across this article today, which says screenwriter Joe Manganiello has teased that he's met with WotC and is writing a script for Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Do you think a Dragonlance movie will ever see the light of day?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Is Joe Manganiello writing a Dragonlance script?

Postby Havard » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 pm

That would be fantastic!

Honestly, I think it is due time to get Dragonlance on the Big Screen. The challenge would be to get the audience to respond positively to a fantasy movie that has a different take on the genre than Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

I do think that the Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends Trilogies have stories worth retelling to new audiences.

Chronicles could use some polishing though. For Dragons of Spring Dawning, I think it would be cool to include some flashback scenes of Kitiara and Tanis and perhaps of Kitiara and Sturm. I think the reveal that Kitiara is leader of the Takhisis army could be a nice ending of that movie.

I also think it might be a good idea to take some time to make audiences understand what the world during the Age of Despair was like. I think that the idea of the Gods being lost by humanity and rediscovering them could be emphasized more for a movie audience to get how important that really was.

I wonder about the portrayal of Fizban. He never seemed like a discount Gandalf to me, but he would also have to made unique on the big screen. I think his casting would be extremely important here. Who do you see as playing Fizban?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:28 pm

Havard wrote:I wonder about the portrayal of Fizban. He never seemed like a discount Gandalf to me, but he would also have to made unique on the big screen. I think his casting would be extremely important here. Who do you see as playing Fizban?

I could see someone like Christopher Lloyd playing the role, although I haven't seen Christopher Lloyd in anything lately, so maybe he's not acting any longer.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:50 am

Colider Movie Talk, a YouTube show that I follow daily, talked about this yesterday:

https://youtu.be/3xd17liyGAQ?t=2304

A little disappointed that noone on the panel seemed to know any specifics about Dragonlance, but I love their plans to run D&D at their studios(!) even if it may take place after the MtG game. :D

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:10 am

Havard wrote:Colider Movie Talk, a YouTube show that I follow daily, talked about this yesterday.

Good find. Thanks for sharing.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:57 pm

There was another company talking about making a live-action Chronicles trilogy, back when the animated movies were still in production.

I had hopes that it would work out like Lord of the Rings (with an animated version followed by a live action version) but Paramount bottled out on Dragonlance before it was released, sent it straight to DVD in the USA and sat on it for months over here (refusing to announce a release date).

I really enjoy Karl Preusser's music and hope that they go to him for the live-action music. (I'd even be happy for them to get him to reuse and expand the existing music.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 pm

The Website Geek & Sundry has an article on what the script for the Dragonlance movie might contain: http://geekandsundry.com/delving-into-a ... nce-movie/

Manganiello as Caramon? Yeah, I can see that :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby BronzeDragon » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 pm

I would be highly skeptical of all this, until I've seen a budget estimate.

The LotR trilogy cost over 450 million dollars in 2001, so anything below 250 for Chronicles would raise an eyebrow for me. There's bound to be a huge amount of cgi involved, considering Draconians, Dragons, magic in much higher quantities than in LoTR and so on and so forth.

There's also the matter that the story would be considered highly derivative by the public at large. They have already seen most of the elements present in Chronicles elsewhere, excepting perhaps the idea of priestly magic.
BronzeDragon
Kobold

Return to Dragonlance