Would anyone be interested...

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Would anyone be interested...

Postby FSwriter » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 am

So I have always wanted to run a Dragonlance campaign where the players take on the roles of the Heroes of the Lance. Whenever I bring this up most people either don't want to play through the chronicles story line or don't want to play the chronicle characters. Well I a checking here to see if there would be enough interest to start a play by post game here on the Piazza forums. If your interested in playing the chronicles and the characters from the chronicles post your interest here... you can also state at least two characters you would like to play....

Feel free to ask any questions you might have :)
FSwriter
Goblin

Re: Would anyone be interested...

Postby Big Mac » Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm

I probably couldn't commit to a game at the moment, but this actually sounds like it could be a lot of fun if you gave the players agency and allowed the story to divert from the canon from the day you start the game.

But, I can imagine that some people (probably the people who are resitant to this sort of game) would assume that it was a railroad. Maybe if you can find some easy ways to prove that it is not a railroad early on, the fear people have will vanish and you will attract more players.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby FSwriter » Wed May 24, 2017 3:03 pm

LOL Hi Dave!

Yeah this wouldn't be a railraod... it would just be a chance to play those characters and see where things go organically...
FSwriter
Goblin

Postby willpell » Thu May 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Dragonlance is pretty much the last D&D setting I'd ever be interested in playing. But if you're willing to work with me on minimizing the things I don't like, maximizing the few things I do, and can commit to completing at least a short story arc (enough to be worth going through the effort of character creation - and it doesn't take much, given that I rather enjoy making characters in the first place), then I'd certainly pick Dragonlance over no D&D at all (aside from one campaign that's running slowly and nowhere near a conclusion, and another that hasn't actually started yet).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby FSwriter » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 pm

At this point it doesn't look like there is interest in this idea and that is fine. I will likely give thought to a different idea once I am feeling better (been very ill the last few days).. Don't know if i will do Dragonlance or look at one of the other worlds.... Willpell, what do you like? not gonna promise to go that direction but we might have an interest or two that intersect :)
FSwriter
Goblin

Postby willpell » Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 pm

The only thing I can think of that I really like about Dragonlance is the fact that it revolves around dragons. The general idea of the dragons as being "major involveds" in the global politics of the setting interests me a lot (the 3.5 supplement "Dragon Magic" describes a lot of approaches to this kind of idea, without explicitly tying it to Krynn). But the extreme binary nature of the dragon war doesn't appeal to me, and the firm emphasis on Fantastic Racism and fairly basic fantasy tropes looms among my larger objections to the setting. It would be tough to focus on the dragons without focusing on Paladine vs. Takhisis, but that would be exactly what I'd be interested in, pretty much exclusively. (The 3E Dragonlance book also has the Mystic and Noble base classes, which I find interesting from a mechanical standpoint, though likely not enough to actually play them.)

If you end up going with a different universe, things get a lot easier; other than maybe Dark Sun and Spelljammer (and even those can bump up if you mostly focus on psionics), pretty much every other CW appeals to me more than Dragonlance does. Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms are just okay, but they have such a huge volume of lore that it's possible to really dig into them, while ignoring the stuff I don't care for as much. And Eberron is just absolute cake; I'd be more interested in that setting than all other published CWs combined, with the sole exception of my #2 favorite, Planescape. (To be clear, I would rank Eberron at something like an 80, Planescape at a 30 or so, and not give any other setting more than 10 points. Dragonlance gets about a 4; the only things that would rank lower aren't even D&D, but crappy knock-offs or totally different RPG settings that are in genres such as Post-Apocalypse or Hard Sci-Fi, which don't appeal to me at all.)
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon May 29, 2017 7:54 pm

FSwriter wrote:At this point it doesn't look like there is interest in this idea and that is fine. I will likely give thought to a different idea once I am feeling better (been very ill the last few days).. Don't know if i will do Dragonlance or look at one of the other worlds.... Willpell, what do you like? not gonna promise to go that direction but we might have an interest or two that intersect :)

I don't think that means it's a bad idea though. It could just be that Willpell and myself are not your target audience and that it is a bad time of the year for people who would jump at this. :?

We seem to have a few academic people in the gaming community who get a bit less active at certain points in the academic year.

Maybe you should put this idea on the back-boiler for a while, rather than shelve it entirely. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby FSwriter » Wed May 31, 2017 12:17 pm

OH I am sure I will give it a go again eventually. It's an idea that pops into my head every so often :)
FSwriter
Goblin

Postby Jayce » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 pm

FSwriter wrote:OH I am sure I will give it a go again eventually. It's an idea that pops into my head every so often :)

I would certainly be interested, if I can manage to fit it into my time schedule somehow. I'm always up for some Fourth Age Dragonlance. Let me know if you find any other players.

Characters I'd be interested in are Tanis and Goldmoon, from the original DL1 characters, and from the later modules Tika, Gilthanas and Laurana appeal to me, especially, but really I'd be happy to play as anyone.
Jayce
Hobgoblin

Return to Dragonlance