Ergoth

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Ergoth

Post by Havard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am

I've been looking at locations on Ansalon where you can run a campaign that might not directly involve the war between the followers of Takhisis and Paladine even if set during the War of the Lance. What is Ergoth like? What distinguishes Ergoth from Solamnia? What about Southern Ergoth vs. Northern Ergoth. Are they very different?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Ergoth

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:48 am

My impression is that Northern Ergoth is older, more traditional and staid than Solamnia. Ergoth is an old, old empire and Solamnia was founded in reaction to it. Earth analogies seem inevitably misleading and potentially offensive but consider any old, imperial nation and a younger nation that splits away, in some respects mirroring its former ruler and in other respects defining itself in opposition. Both nations have had plenty of time now to become set in their respective ways, but I think there are some potentially useful comparisons to be made.

Northern Ergoth is ruled by an emperor and an elected senate similar to ancient Rome, while Solamnia is ruled by a triumvirate of Lord High Warrior, Lord High Clerist, and Lord High Justice. Prior to the Cataclysm, the Knights of Solamnia were ruled by a Grand Master, but there hasn't been one in recent ages. In the Age of Mortals, Palanthas is controlled by the Knights of Neraka. Palanthas also has a senate drawn from the city's merchants and nobles.

From what I can tell, Solamnia was ruled by the Knights of Solamnia and its triumvirate until the Cataclysm, when the knighthood fell from grace and dwindled to the point where there weren't enough knights to elect its leaders. At that point, the land's feudal nobles formed a parliament, assuming they didn't have one already.

Both Northern Ergoth and Solamnia seem to have a feudal system, so it's likely that local rulers simply call whatever troops they can muster from the commoners and peasantry when knights aren't available.

Solamnia is larger and much more diverse than the islands of Ergoth, so it's harder to summarize. You could say that Northern Ergoth is similar to Italy and Solamnia is like much of the rest of the territory once ruled by the Romans, though unified under a single government.

Northern Ergoth is a temperate land dominated by humans and is what I'm really talking about when I say "Ergoth" after the Cataclysm. The kender nation of Hylo (Kenderhome) is on the same island and there are some goblin tribes in the southern desert.

Southern Ergoth is a colder land with (aside from a Solamnic outpost) almost no human inhabitants, dominated by ogres. After the War of the Lance its southern forests had some elven colonists, but during the Age of Mortals the elves were driven away by one of the dragon overlords. This is mainly a land of monsters (ogres, thanoi, draconians, goblins) and as such has no real analogy to real-world cultures, and nothing in common with the culture of Northern Ergoth.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Ergoth

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 am

Thanks for this great descirption Rip!

It is really helpful to get a sense of how these different human lands can be distinguished. They always seemed more or less the same to me. I wonder if Northern Ergoth could be a good starting point for a more traditional D&D-esque campaign. Perhaps even with expeditions to the Ogre lands of Southerh Ergoth to do some dungeon crawls or raids at Ogre settlements...

We usually stayed away from the DL modules, but our campaigns were nearly always based around either Palanthas or on Abanasinia (around Sollace). It is interesting what Ansalon has to offer besides these two types of campaigns.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Dragonlance”