[SAGA] Palanthas

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[SAGA] Palanthas

Post by Big Mac » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:30 am

I just spotted that the SAGA people created a sourcebook for Palanthas.

I'm not too interested in Dragonlance's 5th Age, but I would like to know more about Palanthas.

How much stuff in this book is usable in the War of the Lance era?

And is there anything in this book, that is "too modern" that I would have to avoid using?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Falconer
Troll

Re: [SAGA] Palanthas

Post by Falconer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:29 pm

Well, Palanthas is occupied by the Knights of Takhisis; actually it is part of Khellendros’s territory, and the dark knights serve him here. The Tower of High Sorcery is gone; the Temple of Paladine as far as I remember still stands but presumably there is no worship of Paladine going on there; Astinus is gone from the Great Library but it is otherwise unchanged, just under Bertrem’s leadership (easy enough to put Astinus back in). So, with these changes in mind, it is a good book if you want some solid maps of the city. It’s fleshed out okay. It’s a good read in it’s own right, being a sort of narrated guidebook (which may or may not be good for gaming). I’d say go for it.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [SAGA] Palanthas

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am

Falconer wrote:Well, Palanthas is occupied by the Knights of Takhisis; actually it is part of Khellendros’s territory, and the dark knights serve him here. The Tower of High Sorcery is gone; the Temple of Paladine as far as I remember still stands but presumably there is no worship of Paladine going on there; Astinus is gone from the Great Library but it is otherwise unchanged, just under Bertrem’s leadership (easy enough to put Astinus back in). So, with these changes in mind, it is a good book if you want some solid maps of the city. It’s fleshed out okay. It’s a good read in it’s own right, being a sort of narrated guidebook (which may or may not be good for gaming). I’d say go for it.
Thanks Falconer. (Sorry I missed this good advice, at the time.)

I think I'd be interested to learn about the occupation too. I might not want to play in the Fifth Age, but that's mostly because it doesn't really support Spelljammer/Krynnspace, like the early 2nd Edition Era material for Dragonlance does.

Perhaps I could file the serial numbers off of some of the things tied into the Fifth Age, and reuse them as inspiration for things on other worlds in Krynnspace. That would give me the ability to have a Dragonlance vibe for new things in Krynnspace. A bunch of dark knights controlling a city might even fit in a bit better with the idea of four death knights running the black market in Palanthas. Maybe this new stuff could help me make that other stuff feel less jarring.

Another possible way I could use this, could be to depart from the official Dragonlance timeline and use this book as the "desired end goal" in some sort of "plot for a takeover of Palanthas" in an earlier era. Or maybe one of those Alternate Krynns that Legends of the Twins has.

I'll put this on my wishlist. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Dragonlance”