3 new gods from Dragons of the Hourglass Mage

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

3 new gods from Dragons of the Hourglass Mage

Postby redking » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Kitiara lowered her hand and rested it on the golden top of the hourglass. “The Sly One. That’s what they called you. Perhaps that’s why you were always my favorite. It seems that Nuitari has betrayed his mother for the last time. Takhisis has decided to get rid of the god of magic and his two treacherous cousins. She is bringing in three new gods, Gods of the Gray. They will answer directly to their Queen, and she will give them the magic.”

Any speculation about these three new gods that were to replace the gods of magic?
redking
Orc

Re: 3 new gods from Dragons of the Hourglass Mage

Postby redking » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Nevermind. I've just realized that it was a lie by Takhisis to draw the gods of magic into the Hourglass.

That said... The fact that they bought such a lie means that there must be gods looking for a stable job as a god. Otherwise the threat would not be credible.
redking
Orc

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:55 pm

It seems possible she was threatening to elevate three mortals to divinity. Supposedly, that's what happened to Gilean.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 pm

redking wrote:Nevermind. I've just realized that it was a lie by Takhisis to draw the gods of magic into the Hourglass.

A lie of that magnitude is still worth talking about. :)

redking wrote:That said... The fact that they bought such a lie means that there must be gods looking for a stable job as a god. Otherwise the threat would not be credible.

The High God originally brought Paladine and Takhisis to the place where Krynn would eventually be built (*cough* Krynnspace *cough) and then got thm to invite in a number of other gods from the Beyond. So it's not the first time that deities have arrived in the area.

I'm not sure if some sort of mechanism locked the area (*cough* crystal sphere *cough) but I would presume that whatever (if anything) prevented deities from coming in would be something that the other gods knew about (because it would have been set in place after they arrived). So, presumably, Takhisis would be able to come up with a lie that convinces the othe gods if she needed to.

There have apparently been a number of fake religions in the time between the Cataclysm and the return of the real gods. I've never really seen much information on them. I couldn't find anything about these Gods of the Gray either. But I'd love to know how they allegedly would have worked.

Was each one supposed to take over on of the three moons? Were they supposed to be able to turn the three moons grey?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:08 am

Here's an earlier thread on the Seeker gods: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4441
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Falconer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:34 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:It seems possible she was threatening to elevate three mortals to divinity. Supposedly, that's what happened to Gilean.

TotL does mention this in connection with Gilean specifically, but, it seems to me implied that ALL the gods originated as mortals from other realities. This is reinforced by the Mormon (Tracy Hickman’s faith) concept of deification, as well as what we have seen of the progression of souls of Krynn mortals. This is especially evident in DoSF, in which dead heroes (Raistlin, Sturm, Kitiara, Huma) are as active in the world as the gods. There’s a scene in which Takhisis (via Kitiara) offers to Steel to go with her to explore and build other worlds. That sounds a lot like the way the original gods were called “from the Gray” (an inside joke reference to Greyhawk and/or the FR Gray box?) into Krynn. Also, much is made of the fact that Flint gets his own planet.
Falconer
Troll

Return to Dragonlance