How to Run DL in a non-Railroady Manner

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

How to Run DL in a non-Railroady Manner

Postby Corsair14 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 pm

Never understood why the railroading thing in the 20 year old adventures was such a turn off to people for the whole setting. I rarely use published adventures or if I do I modify them heavily. I started a DL game with Keep on the Borderlands literally at a Solamnic keep on the border with the eastern lands within a few days travel to Throtyl just post WotL. That's about as published as I got as I went my own direction in the world. There wasn't a single one of the Companions around. They found enough hints and ideas for them to go do their own thing treating the DL campaign setting as a sandbox with an overarching storyline. Its a campaign world just like Greyhawk or Forgettable Realms with a lot of world spanning stuff going on in the background, which to me keeps the world moving and alive. You don't have to be a companion or even fight Takasis and the dragon armies to play in it.

Admin Edit: Split from viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18591

-Dragon Turtle
Corsair14
Orc

Re: Is Richard Knaak's Rex Draconis Setting a clone of Krynn

Postby Falconer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:30 pm

The point I think that most people look at is not that it’s impossible to run it as a sandbox, it’s that its big selling point is the grand story-saga. There are a lot of campaign settings out there, and, what would make you pick one over the other? If I want to run the classic dungeons, Greyhawk is famous for that. If I want to run a wilderness crawl, I will probably consider Wilderlands or Middle-earth. If you want to sell people on running a DL campaign, it’s not good enough to say that its railroading problem is avoidable, or that you can ignore its joke races, or that whatever other cringeworthy factor is not that big a deal. You have to focus on its positives; what might make it the best choice for a DM or his group.
Falconer
Troll

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Interestingly, the idea of running the modules never occurred to us. We never had much patience for published modules anywy. We loved the novels and always ran Dragonlance as a kind of Sandbox, just like we did with every setting. And we had plenty of Kender and Tinker Gnome PCs and it never took the fun out of the game since none of the players were jerks. :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:09 am

Corsair14 wrote:Never understood why the railroading thing in the 20 year old adventures was such a turn off to people for the whole setting. I rarely use published adventures or if I do I modify them heavily. I started a DL game with Keep on the Borderlands literally at a Solamnic keep on the border with the eastern lands within a few days travel to Throtyl just post WotL. That's about as published as I got as I went my own direction in the world. There wasn't a single one of the Companions around. They found enough hints and ideas for them to go do their own thing treating the DL campaign setting as a sandbox with an overarching storyline. Its a campaign world just like Greyhawk or Forgettable Realms with a lot of world spanning stuff going on in the background, which to me keeps the world moving and alive. You don't have to be a companion or even fight Takasis and the dragon armies to play in it.
Yeah. While I am not a fan of being railroaded, I don't mind it if it is done in a way where there is the illusion of choice. What I don't like is a DM that gloats over successfully having railroaded characters; that's not a DM that I'd want to play under again.

Raiding the books is the primary reasons why I would buy them.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:]Yeah. While I am not a fan of being railroaded, I don't mind it if it is done in a way where there is the illusion of choice. What I don't like is a DM that gloats over successfully having railroaded characters; that's not a DM that I'd want to play under again.

Nobody likes being railroaded. The DL modules are often accused of being railroady, but from what I understand this is mostly not true at all. Sure, they aren't complete sandbox adventures like Keep on the Borderlands, but few adventures are that free of story elements. I think there are one or two situations in the entire DL module series that are problematic and they keep being brought up every single time.

Raiding the books is the primary reasons why I would buy them.

oh. ok.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

How to Run DL in a non-Railroady Manner 2

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am

Havard wrote:Nobody likes being railroaded. The DL modules are often accused of being railroady, but from what I understand this is mostly not true at all. Sure, they aren't complete sandbox adventures like Keep on the Borderlands, but few adventures are that free of story elements. I think there are one or two situations in the entire DL module series that are problematic and they keep being brought up every single time.
I wouldn't know for sure if they are, as I've never played in the modules, but they are pretty cool from what I remember and definitely have raid-able elements.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Sturm » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am

Talking about railroading DL modules, you have derailed the original topic :P
And I am going to contribute by adding I DMed the original modules and were not railroad at all, the players create a fully alternative story with Laurana killing Raistlin :) BTW the modules are also full of material not appearing in the books, so it's quite possible to use them to play a parallel story and having the Heroes of the Lance do the main story in the background.
We also played other DL adventures maintaning the original story of the books and Krynn worked just like any other fantasy setting, the fact that there were heroes in the past, some still alive in the present, it's not really different from Forgotten Realms or Mystara, it just enrich the world, IMO.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Sturm wrote:Talking about railroading DL modules, you have derailed the original topic :P
And I am going to contribute by adding I DMed the original modules and were not railroad at all, the players create a fully alternative story with Laurana killing Raistlin :) BTW the modules are also full of material not appearing in the books, so it's quite possible to use them to play a parallel story and having the Heroes of the Lance do the main story in the background.
We also played other DL adventures maintaning the original story of the books and Krynn worked just like any other fantasy setting, the fact that there were heroes in the past, some still alive in the present, it's not really different from Forgotten Realms or Mystara, it just enrich the world, IMO.
That is awesome! :cool: Very cool, indeed!
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby ghendar » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:This world sounds a lot like Dragonlance. Is this secretly a Dragonlance novel? Could we see an RPG based on Rex Draconis? :)
I would be greatly interested in an RPG world inspired by Krynn. I am not fan of the Krynn setting, because I feel that the setting adapts the written works into railroading PCs into ensuring that a certain outcome occurs. If I am wrong about that, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know. A knock-off Krynn could be potentially cool, and as a RPG setting I'd be interested in seeing how the novel cannon is adapted to it, or not.

You might want to have a look at this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_of_the_Dragon

Dragonlance but not Dragonlance :D
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:36 pm

ghendar wrote:You might want to have a look at this

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Time of The Dragon. Unfortunately one of the products that got tossed in the garbage by my parents when they wanted me to get out of D&D so I do need to get it back in the collection eventually.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 pm

ghendar wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:
Havard wrote:This world sounds a lot like Dragonlance. Is this secretly a Dragonlance novel? Could we see an RPG based on Rex Draconis? :)
I would be greatly interested in an RPG world inspired by Krynn. I am not fan of the Krynn setting, because I feel that the setting adapts the written works into railroading PCs into ensuring that a certain outcome occurs. If I am wrong about that, I would appreciate it if someone would let me know. A knock-off Krynn could be potentially cool, and as a RPG setting I'd be interested in seeing how the novel cannon is adapted to it, or not.

You might want to have a look at this

Time of the Dragon is the boxed set that introduces Taladas. Taladas is awesome and we have a forum for it here:)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Dragonlance