Minotaur Campaign Anyone?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Minotaur Campaign Anyone?

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Krynnish Minotaurs always struck me as one of the most interesting races of the setting. Even more so when brought to life in Richard Knaak's novels about Huma and Kaaz as well as the more recent Minotaur Trilogy.

So has anyone ever thought about a campaign where all or most of the PCs are minotaurs?

I could see a campaign being based around the Bloodsea Minotaurs or a campaign centered around the Minotaur League on Taladas...

Thoughts?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Re: Minotaur Campaign Anyone?

Post by willpell » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 pm

I would love to do Minotaurs, but NOT Krynnotaurs. They're utterly unlike any other portrayal of the Horned Folk which I've ever enjoyed, and they're second only to the Kender among reasons for me not to be fond of Dragonlance.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:47 pm

willpell wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 pm
I would love to do Minotaurs, but NOT Krynnotaurs. They're utterly unlike any other portrayal of the Horned Folk which I've ever enjoyed, and they're second only to the Kender among reasons for me not to be fond of Dragonlance.
Well, since I posted this in the Dragonlance forum, I was hoping for feedback from people who like the Dragonlance setting and its races.

If you are interested in talking about a different kind of Minotaur campaigns, maybe start a separate thread about it in a different section of The Piazza? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 pm

I played a minotaur character in a 2E campaign! I like playing atypical races. Meet Mezuka the minotaur inspires by Kaaz.

Yes, I did think about running a 100% minotaur campaign at some point. I can't recall which classes would be available to them. Would you use 2E or another set of rules?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:15 pm

Havard wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:24 pm
Krynnish Minotaurs always struck me as one of the most interesting races of the setting. Even more so when brought to life in Richard Knaak's novels about Huma and Kaaz as well as the more recent Minotaur Trilogy.
Kaz the Minotaur was the first D&D novel I ever owned. I used to avoid fantasy novels, but I enjoyed Richard A Knaak's work enough to change my mind.

I need to buy The Legend of Huma and read that and reread Kaz the Minotaur in the order Richard A Knaak intended, so that I can get the experience he intended.

What is the more recent Minotaur Trillogy? Do you mean the Minotaur Wars? They look like they are set after the War of the Lance, while Kaz was from the Legends era.

I see that Dragonlance Nexus have quite a few novels listed for Richard A. Knaak. Do you know if Kaz or other minotaurs feature in any of them? I'd rather not jump past the War of Souls until I've read stories from earlier eras, so if Kaz appears in anything else I'd like to put that on my Dragonlance wishlist.
Havard wrote:
So has anyone ever thought about a campaign where all or most of the PCs are minotaurs?
I've not really considered running a campaign where players were forced to only play any one race. But I might consider playing in one. And a minotaur dominated campaign, where people could choose other races, but would be seen as "outsiders" could probably work really well.

I know I'd definitely like to see more support for minotaurs in Krynnspace. And they should have been added in as a PC option in SJR7 Krynnspace. Krynnspace is supposed to be the Dragonlance crystal sphere and minotaurs are one of the iconic features of Dragonlance.

Oddly, the minotaurs of Dragonlance have human-like feet (instead of hooved feet). I think they are supposed to have been transformed by the Greygem (or some of them were).
Havard wrote:
I could see a campaign being based around the Bloodsea Minotaurs or a campaign centered around the Minotaur League on Taladas...

Thoughts?
That sounds about right. But you could just as easily have a party of minotaurs travelling outside of their home area on a secret mission.

For example, how about a game set just before the War of the Lance where a bunch of minotaurs that are distantly related to Kaz get visited by a relation of Heart and asked to go on a secret mission to recover stolen dragon eggs. (These would be eggs that are being held hostage and destined to be turned into sivak draconians.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 am

I played a minotaur in an adventure set in Taladas ages ago. It was the first time I'd been exposed to the concept of minotaurs that weren't bestial monsters, and I really liked them.

I'd never heard of Richard Knaak's novels until now. I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the tip!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:56 pm

Taladas: The Minotaurs is, hands down, my favorite 2ED supplement. And I say that as a drooling Al-Qadim fanboy. I never got to play Dragonlance, but I had a lot of mental fanfiction about it. My favorite character was Thorr-kan, the White Minotaur, wielder of the Horn of Justice and leader of The Grey Company, all inspired by that cover.

I got to play him for one session in fall of '92/spring of '93, and it was awesome. I wrote a lot about him on the old Usenet alt.pub.dragons-inn newsgroup. (God, I miss Usenet.) And now you know why I have my forum name.

Return to “Dragonlance”