Non-Dragonlance modules/adventure paths suitable for Krynn

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Non-Dragonlance modules/adventure paths suitable for Krynn

Post by Jayce » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 pm

As much as I love Mystara and Athas, Krynn has always been my greatest love among TSR's many settings. However, as an RPG line it has often been horribly mismanaged during the AD&D years (even before it was moved to the Saga game), and when it was finally allowed to truly come into its own during the 3E/3.5 era, its development was cut short by WotC's decision to take away the license from Margaret Weis productions. As a result, Dragonlance fans have had plenty of fun novels to sink their teeth into, but there haven't been many worthwhile modules outside of the original DL series and the excellent Age of Mortals campaign by Christopher Coyle and Cam Banks.

As a result, Dragonlance fans have mostly had to either write their own adventures (something we're not all equally talented at) or convert modules developed for other settings. Of course not every module or adventure path is easily adapted to Krynn, as the setting has a pretty distinct feel to it, quite different and less kitchen sink-ey than either Forgotten Realms or Mystara. For example, although Tyranny of Dragons could work relatively easily on Ansalon, as would several adventures from the previously discussed Tales from the Yawning Portal, and I could see Tomb of Annihilation working in the jungles of Neron or maybe Thenol, personally I would certainly struggle with placing Princes of the Apocalypse or Out of the Abyss anywhere on Krynn (although if you have any ideas on how to go about this, you're welcome to share them of course).

So for all of us DMs who are looking to place adventures, campaigns and adventure paths designed for other settings on Krynn, what are your suggestions? These can be official D&D modules for any edition/setting, adventures taken from the DMs Guild, material from third party publishers, Pathfinder adventure paths, or anything along those lines.

Also, please provide some basic suggestions on how to adapt the adventures to Krynn - no full conversion notes are needed (although if you feel like sharing them, be my guest), but it would be nice if you could include some ideas for locations, eras of play, factions, etc.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Non-Dragonlance modules/adventure paths suitable for Krynn

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm

It's a real shame that the RPGA never had a Living Dragonlance campaign going (during the 2nd Edition or 3rd Edition Eras).

Taladas and the three DL subsettings in Otherlands have even less material than Ansalon has, but they also have less fiction. So I think it might be easier to give some adventures a minor Dragonlance reboot and put them there, without people asking why organisations like the Orders of High Sorcery, the Knights of Solamnia and the Holy Orders of the Stars are not involved in the plot.

Any adventures containing monsters new to Dragonlance (as a major theme) might also be explained away as something that has arrived from Krynnspace. ;-)

In fact "Wreck of the Mind Spider" from the 3e sourcebook Lords of Madness would work well as something set in area around Mount Nevermind shortly after the battle shown at the end of Beyond the Moons. Some of the captured slaves could be swapped out for Knights of Solamnia or Tinker Gnomes.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm

I think it could be interesting to adapt B10 Dark Night's Terror to Dragonlance. The two lost races trapped in an isolated valley could have survived since the Cataclysm or even predate it? Not sure which race to replace the Hutaakans with. I was wondering if Irda might work?

Also could be fun to run B5 Rahasia since it was written by Tracy (and Laura) Hickman. Could be placed near the Qualinesti? Maybe even replace Rifflian with Solace.

B4 the Lost City could also work connected with the Cataclysm.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Jayce
Hobgoblin

Post by Jayce » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:39 pm
It's a real shame that the RPGA never had a Living Dragonlance campaign going (during the 2nd Edition or 3rd Edition Eras).

Taladas and the three DL subsettings in Otherlands have even less material than Ansalon has, but they also have less fiction. So I think it might be easier to give some adventures a minor Dragonlance reboot and put them there, without people asking why organisations like the Orders of High Sorcery, the Knights of Solamnia and the Holy Orders of the Stars are not involved in the plot.

Any adventures containing monsters new to Dragonlance (as a major theme) might also be explained away as something that has arrived from Krynnspace. ;-)
I agree, although to be fair, old RPGA adventures seem really difficult to get a hold of. :/

To be fair, Ansalon also still has quite a bit of little explored territory, both historically as well as geographically. The absence of the Knights, Orders of High Sorcery and the priesthood can always be explained with them being caught up in their own politics. After all, during the post-war Fourth Age, Ansalon is still rebuilding from the war: the Knighthood is spread thin and trying to deal with the remnants of the Dragonarmies in addition to undergoing sweeping reforms initiated by Gunthar uth Wistan, the Holy Order of the Stars is still being rebuilt from the ground up, while in the case of the Orders of High Sorcery, there simply aren't that many powerful magic-users on Ansalon to begin with. I think part of the problem with Ansalon has been that, because of the fiction that came out early on in the line's history, GMs often seem to assume that everything on Ansalon has to deal with the loss of the gods, and the Dark Queen trying to enter Krynn. The truth, of course, is that Ansalon has room for a lot of other stories as well.
Havard wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:20 pm
I think it could be interesting to adapt B10 Dark Night's Terror to Dragonlance. The two lost races trapped in an isolated valley could have survived since the Cataclysm or even predate it? Not sure which race to replace the Hutaakans with. I was wondering if Irda might work?
Wahey, I bought this module recently after it was recommended to me by Thorf. Of course the Graygem creates endless possibilities for previously undiscovered races, or variants of known races. Sounds like something that would fit right into the late Age of Despair (around the Second Generation-era). :)

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:22 am

The Sunless Citadel: The fortress was pulled into the earth by the Cataclysm; the vampire was staked sometime before that. I'd set it on the edge of one of the wastelands areas, to represent the Ashen Plain. Southern Ergoth or the Plains of Dust might make sense, or near Tanith in northern Solamnia. Ashardalon lived long ago, before the time of Huma. Belak the Outcast was a priest of Chislev who became corrupted and fell into the worship of Morgion.

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Sunless citadel is pretty easy to put pretty much anywhere. Taladas as well. Isnt it the one occupied by orcs? What would you put in their place, draconians or hobgoblins?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:37 am

Corsair14 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm
Sunless citadel is pretty easy to put pretty much anywhere. Taladas as well. Isnt it the one occupied by orcs? What would you put in their place, draconians or hobgoblins?
It's occupied by goblins, so no change is necessary.

Boneguard
Deep One Priest

Post by Boneguard » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:58 pm

The Red Hand Doom would be perfect: a mini-campaign/ adventure (going from level 6 to 12) with an army of hobgoblin led by dragons.
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread

Falconer
Troll

Post by Falconer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I guess I would be of the mindset that it’s very difficult to use a generic module in DL. As I once wrote on another forum: “Even when writing an introduction to the original 351 AC setting, you have to explain about the All Saints War, the Gnomes and the Greygem, the Kinslayer Wars, Huma’s War, the Fall of Istar, and the Dwarfgate War. This history is precisely that which makes Dragonlance uniquely interesting and evocative, because it’s what gives context to each and every situation on the ground. It provides a reason for Moon Mages and Kender. It explains the Qualinesti and the Silvanesti. It explains the Hill Dwarves and the Mountain Dwarves. It explains the ruins and the lost gods and the heretical cults. It’s what gives a home to dragons and dragonriders and dragonslayers and death knights and flying citadels. By knowing where they come from, you have a very clear sense of what their agendas and destinies might be.”
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Ares
Kobold

Post by Ares » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:54 am

A few years back I had prepped a DL conversion of Curse of the Crimson Throne by Paizo. Korvosa can be swapped out for Palanthas if you squint hard enough and don't ask too many questions! Later parts of the adventure path also feature *ahem* nomadic humans who can be swapped in with the Que Shu or some such. Unfortunately the campaign never got off the ground due to availability issues.

Return to “Dragonlance”