[The Adventurers Guild] "Rumors"

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

apotheot
Ogre

[The Adventurers Guild] "Rumors"

Post by apotheot » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm

In the late '90s TSR/WotC had a retail play program with the RPGA, where adventures were designed to be played at Game Retail stores as essentially advertisements for an upcoming product. It was called the Adventurer's Guild, and adventures were about 16 pages long. Several Dragonlance adventures were made for this program, most tying in to 5th Age Saga System product. These adventures were incredibly rare, and in many cases the author's themselves did not get copies of the finished edited product. Many Adventurer's Guild products have showed up on secondary markets such as Ebay at great cost. The last few adventures, however, the program abandoned the practice of sending the retailers physical copies of the adventure, and instead emailed pdf copies that the retailer could then print out to use. One of these adventure's is Miranda Horner's "Rumors" which tied in to the adventure Rise of the Titans. I spoke to someone several years back who had some knowledge about theses later adventures, and he believed it was entirely possible that these last few might be lost for all time, as it was up to individual retailers if they even wanted to print or keep the file.

My question is this: Has anyone played or have knowledge of events in this adventure? Do you remember what happened or how it might have tied in to Rise of the Titans?

Here is a link to a site which explains more about the retail play program and the adventures that were available https://www.acaeum.com/ddindexes/periodicals/ag.html

-Apotheot

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: "Rumors"

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:40 pm

If Rumors is a precursor to Rise of the Titans, does that mean it is set between The Sylvan Veil and Rise of the Titans?

The first adventure is about Silvanest and the second is about ogres regaining power (and becoming titans) and both are part of the "Battle Lines" product line so I'm wondering if Rumors has elements of both stories in it.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Falconer
Hill Giant

Re: "Rumors"

Post by Falconer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:02 pm

The two modules are each rather standalone. The pregens are different. Rise of the Titans does have a suggestion of what to do “If the heroes are coming from The Sylvan Veil,” but it concludes with the phrase, “The Narrator might need to adjust some of the opening text.” In other words, it is not generally written with the assumption that one will follow the other.

So I would guess “Rumors” does not tie in to The Sylvan Veil.
Beggar’s Canyon 90s Star Wars
Old School Trek Star Trek TOS+OSR
Knights & Knaves Alehouse Old School GYGAXIAN games

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [The Adventurers Guild] "Rumors"

Post by Havard » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm

We have a general discussion thread about the Adventurers Guild series here, but I had not looked specifically at the Dragonlance adventures from this series too closely before.

I have both Rise of the Titans and Sylvan Veil so it would be neat to have this adventure to run in connection with Rise of the Titans. I wonder if WotC will make these available on the DMsGuild? Would be nice to have more SAGA material too...

Steve Miller wrote an adventure called Spawn of Sable for AD&D DragonLance as part of this series. That one was tied to Sylvan Veil. I could ask Steve if he has a copy he would be willing to share...?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 pm

apotheot wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 pm
In the late '90s TSR/WotC had a retail play program with the RPGA, where adventures were designed to be played at Game Retail stores as essentially advertisements for an upcoming product... The last few adventures, however, the program abandoned the practice of sending the retailers physical copies of the adventure, and instead emailed pdf copies that the retailer could then print out to use. One of these adventure's is Miranda Horner's "Rumors" which tied in to the adventure Rise of the Titans. I spoke to someone several years back who had some knowledge about theses later adventures, and he believed it was entirely possible that these last few might be lost for all time, as it was up to individual retailers if they even wanted to print or keep the file.
I have a copy of Crossbows & Crossbones pdf but not any of the others. As best as I can recall, all four adventures were available for download from at least one pirate site over a decade ago, but I have no idea where to find them now. But those pdfs aren't lost, just difficult to find. I should have grabbed all four when I had the chance.

I should also add, unless you were a retailer participating back in the day in the Adventurer's Guild program, there is no way to acquire these legally. That won't change unless WotC puts them up online for sale, and we don't know if they kept copies or what publishing restrictions they may prefer for them.

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:39 am

NPCDave wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 pm

I have a copy of Crossbows & Crossbones pdf but not any of the others. As best as I can recall, all four adventures were available for download from at least one pirate site over a decade ago, but I have no idea where to find them now. But those pdfs aren't lost, just difficult to find. I should have grabbed all four when I had the chance.
I believe it.
NPCDave wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:44 pm
I should also add, unless you were a retailer participating back in the day in the Adventurer's Guild program, there is no way to acquire these legally. That won't change unless WotC puts them up online for sale, and we don't know if they kept copies or what publishing restrictions they may prefer for them.
Well, partially right. Aside from the four pdf only ones like Rumors, all the others could have been sold on the secondary market. A few showed up in auctions or on ebay, (there is one there now). but as for WotC selling them, they would have to get permissions from the authors.
-apotheot

Return to “Dragonlance”