[Ghostwalk] Using Manifest within Dragonlance

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Ghostwalk] Using Manifest within Dragonlance

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:25 am

Waylander39 brought up the idea of using Ghostwalk as a campaign option within another setting. When he did that, he mentioned Dragonlance.

Now I actually think that integration with Dragonlance would be tougher than other settings.

You can't just add in the Ghostwalk pantheon in this case, so how should this be handled? I suspect that Ghostwalk would need to do the big change here.

And where can Manifest fit in? I wonder if Istar would be a good fit. What is left is now at the bottom of the sea, but that would just mean that the blurb wold need to change.

I wonder of one of the islands from Otherlands might be a good place to put some of the lands from The Land of Dead.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Ghostwalk] Using Manifest within Dragonlance

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 31, 2015 8:01 pm

I found a couple of topics on the Dragonlance Forums, that involved the idea of using Ghostwalk as part of Dragonlance: Neither of the topics (over there) has covered how to replace the Ghostwalk deities with the Dragonlance deities. :) I can't recall if Ghostwalk and Dragonlance have the same number of deities (I know they both have a small number of deities) so a straight-swap might not work.

It seems that I am not the only person to wonder about Istar, but given the disruiption that Manifest would cause to Krynn (preventing the link to the afterlife in a large area around Manifest) I'm wondering if it would be easier (and better) to treat Ghostwalk as a subsetting (like Taladas and Adlatum) and then use Sean K Reynold's map and the Ghostwalk nations as a new part of Krynn, but add in the DL deities, the moons of magic and the DL cosmology.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:17 am

I think DL is too tightly woven to allow an option like Ghostwalk.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:06 am

I think it'd make a lot of sense to equate Manifest with the Fortress of Zhaman, which has a portal to the Abyss in it. On the other hand, there's also the gate of souls in the War of Souls trilogy. I don't think it would work very well to simply drop Manifest in Krynn without any modifications, but you could use the Ghostwalk rules to flesh out one of Krynn's existing gates to the afterlife.

Still, it's your campaign, and you can make your Krynn as loose or tight as you want.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:52 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I think DL is too tightly woven to allow an option like Ghostwalk.
I suspect that might be the case.

Ghostwalk would need to be heavily rebooted to get it to work, as part of Krynn. The Ghoswalk gods would need to be swapped out, for one thing. That would screw with all the Orcus themes.
ripvanwormer wrote:I think it'd make a lot of sense to equate Manifest with the Fortress of Zhaman, which has a portal to the Abyss in it. On the other hand, there's also the gate of souls in the War of Souls trilogy. I don't think it would work very well to simply drop Manifest in Krynn without any modifications, but you could use the Ghostwalk rules to flesh out one of Krynn's existing gates to the afterlife.
I'm not sure that Ghostwalk would drop into any campaign setting without modifications. I think that it works best as its own campaign setting. But I did want to see if anyone had any ideas about how much work would be needed to get it to work with Dragonlance.

I'm starting to suspect that the least awkward way to combine Ghostwalk and Dragonlance, would be to add a new area to Krynn, create a combined "Ghostlance" crossover and have an area of effect around Manifest that prevents souls from going through the Gate of Souls. The portal below Manifest could simply be rebooted to be the only way (within that region) for souls to move onto the Dome of Creation, Hidden Vale and the Abyss.

But given the amount of rebooting needed to do that, it might be a lot easier to run a normal Dragonlance game and a normal Ghostwalk game.
ripvanwormer wrote:Still, it's your campaign, and you can make your Krynn as loose or tight as you want.
Thanks for the input here.

I may consider "Ghostlance" as a possible option for an area on one of the worlds of Krynnspace, if it looks like it would fit in with the existing themes there...but I'll probably drop the idea for now.

Return to “Dragonlance”