DL Logo on Piazza

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

DL Logo on Piazza

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:46 pm

Any chance we could get the classic DL logo on these boards rather than the red dragon logo?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Re: DL Logo on Piazza

Post by Andaire » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Probably, but I think you should ask in The Kippin' Griffin part of the board where forum organization (including logos) is discussed. Maybe the DL mod can move this topic there :?:
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:09 pm

I specifically chose the newer DL logo for the icon for a good reason. The original DL logo is so long and thin that, scaled down to the standard size I am using, it would basically be unreadable and almost unrecognisable as the DL logo.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Ashtagon wrote:I specifically chose the newer DL logo for the icon for a good reason. The original DL logo is so long and thin that, scaled down to the standard size I am using, it would basically be unreadable and almost unrecognisable as the DL logo.
Fair enough.

And sorry I put this in the wrong area. Still getting used to this forum.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:23 am

It is actally interesting that some D&D logos have wildly different proportions than others.

From a design point of view, I don't think the Dragonlance logo works well when the width is restricted. (Planescape is also very bad at small sizes. I think the Oriental Adventures logo is probably best.) Maybe the classic logo could replace the "phpBB creating communities" banner at some point in the future (assuming local banners are possible with the forum software).

And I'm not sure this was a bad place to post as Ashtagon started a logo thread in the SJ forum.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

JoeNotCharles
Ogre

Post by JoeNotCharles » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:31 am

Dragonhelm wrote: And sorry I put this in the wrong area. Still getting used to this forum.
I don't think this board's big enough to be a huge stickler for things like that. Makes it seem unfriendly if people are always complaining, "No, that should go on the next board over!"

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:37 am

An admin issue that is specific to a single board is one of those corner cases. I'm happy to have such an issue's discussion kept to the board it concerns most.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:21 am

Not disputing Ashtagon's decision, but it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one who prefers the logo without the dragon from a more general PoV :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Havard wrote:Not disputing Ashtagon's decision, but it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one who prefers the logo without the dragon from a more general PoV :)

Havard
I prefer the old logo too. I understand the decision behind the new logo, but I never liked it quite as much.
- Selman

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:And sorry I put this in the wrong area. Still getting used to this forum.
Nah, I was just not sure what visibility it would have here, but Ashtagon does visit often enough. Those Piazza boards sure see a lot of cross-participation 8-)
Besides, I see you're a mod for DL now, anyway.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Andaire wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:And sorry I put this in the wrong area. Still getting used to this forum.
Nah, I was just not sure what visibility it would have here, but Ashtagon does visit often enough. Those Piazza boards sure see a lot of cross-participation 8-)
Besides, I see you're a mod for DL now, anyway.
Yep. I was a WizO for a while on WotC's boards, so I actually have formal training. Plus I'm an administrator at DragonlanceForums.com.

Glad to be here, where they have so much setting goodness.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:04 am

You want the old logo:

Not sure background color, so two versions.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:24 am

Plaag wrote:You want the old logo:

Not sure background color, so two versions.

ShaneG.
That's nice, but I'm pretty certain the aspect ratio is distorted on that image to make it fit. I don't like damaging the artistic integrity by stretching images that way.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Whilst I prefer the classic logo to the newer one, I can see the tech reasons for it. Pity, though.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Havard wrote:Not disputing Ashtagon's decision, but it's interesting to see that I'm not the only one who prefers the logo without the dragon from a more general PoV :)
I think most people prefer the original logo, but it is too short and fat to fit in.

I think the only way to fix this, would be to adjust the width of all the other campaign setting logo to "help" make space for this one. But then you are going to get logos at the other end of the scale that are too tall and skinny to fit in.

If you check out the Eberron logo, it is a lot easier to see at small size. I'm sure some marketing dudes sat down and worked out its "readability" before it was approved.

I think that if a solution (that worked for all campaign setting logos) could be found it would be more poetic for this "old D&D campaign world" forum to use the older logos.

Maybe we could do something with the masthead. Is it possible to have a different masthead for each campaign setting? If so, you could put the logo (or logos) into that. (Or have some of the copy-cat artwork similar to the stuff I've seen for the old TSR logos.)

I would love to see someone take the Dragonlance logo and change the text from "Dragonlance" to "The Piazza"! That would be so cool! 8-)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah, the old DL logo is very nice. Dragonhelm's sig looks really good with it! Great sig! Too bad the logo's shape doesn't fit with the boards' logo size. Any chance that reducing it and filling in the rest with background color could ever work?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:16 am

Andaire wrote:Yeah, the old DL logo is very nice. Dragonhelm's sig looks really good with it! Great sig! Too bad the logo's shape doesn't fit with the boards' logo size. Any chance that reducing it and filling in the rest with background color could ever work?
Dragonhelm actually has the Dragonlance Nexus logo in his sig. I don't think we can use that! ;)

I did get your point, but it was far too good an opportunity for a joke to miss. :D

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:27 am

I wish I could find a copy of the logo from the Huma comic book, before WotC made the Dabel Bros. use the red dragon one. I've got way too many files to look through...*sigh*
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 am

Dragonhelm wrote:I wish I could find a copy of the logo from the Huma comic book, before WotC made the Dabel Bros. use the red dragon one. I've got way too many files to look through...*sigh*
How about the new movie logo? That is pretty true to the original. And they have cut of the ends of the lance, so it might fit in better.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:54 am

Dragonhelm wrote:I wish I could find a copy of the logo from the Huma comic book, before WotC made the Dabel Bros. use the red dragon one. I've got way too many files to look through...*sigh*
This was the best I could find on short notice. Since Newsarama changed their site, their old links no workie anymore, so the Huma preview pages they had aren't viewable. I'm sure there are several other sites that have images of those covers, though (in particular, comic preview sites- Mile High Comics might; haven't checked yet. Or Popcultureshock.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
This was the best I could find on short notice. Since Newsarama changed their site, their old links no workie anymore, so the Huma preview pages they had aren't viewable. I'm sure there are several other sites that have images of those covers, though (in particular, comic preview sites- Mile High Comics might; haven't checked yet. Or Popcultureshock.)
You could always copy the URL of the bad links and paste them into the Wayback Machine to see if it has an archived copy of them. It doesn't have everything, but if you surf around my Yahoo links in my signature, you will see that some of them are actually archive copies of dead websites.

Return to “Dragonlance”