Dragonlance SAGA system: any experiences?

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonlance SAGA system: any experiences?

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:01 pm

I bought the Dragonlance SAGA game (and all its supplements) back in the day, but my actual experience in running it has been very limited; only a few games scattered in about 15 years. Now, I was thinking of running a small campaign with one player (my wife) so I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences with the system.
Using the cards is surely an innovation over the dice (she is used to Mentzer D&D) but are there things I should watch out for?

Cheers,
Antonio
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Dragonlance SAGA system: any experiences?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:59 pm

I don't have any SAGA stuff, but I had the Taladas: Time of the Dragon boxed set, and that had some sort of weird semi-pregenerated system for player characters. It was the one part I disliked (as - for some reason - I hate pregen characters).

Looking back, I wonder if the Time of the Dragon stuff was a stepping stone away from SAGA. I don't know if the two were published at similar times, but if they were, it might be checking TotD out, in case it can add to your SAGA campaign.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Jorkens » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:42 am

The Time of the Dragon box was published years before the SAGA system came into use. The SAGA was part of the 5th ed change. But I agree that it was a great product.

I tried to run SAGA a couple of times, but I never really felt I got a handle on it. Its a system I would love to try again as a player, then with a DM that really knew how to use the rules.I think its an interesting idea and that it could work well if both the players and the DM are eager to experiment with the rules and the variant ideas though.
Jorkens
Stone Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't have any SAGA stuff, but I had the Taladas: Time of the Dragon boxed set, and that had some sort of weird semi-pregenerated system for player characters. It was the one part I disliked (as - for some reason - I hate pregen characters).

Looking back, I wonder if the Time of the Dragon stuff was a stepping stone away from SAGA. I don't know if the two were published at similar times, but if they were, it might be checking TotD out, in case it can add to your SAGA campaign.

As mentioned, that's not related to SAGA at all. I too have the Time of the Dragon boxed set, and I can't recall any semi-pregen system. Or are you referring to the kits? Those saw a very large use; probably the largest in any other 2e setting.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:36 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I bought the Dragonlance SAGA game (and all its supplements) back in the day, but my actual experience in running it has been very limited; only a few games scattered in about 15 years. Now, I was thinking of running a small campaign with one player (my wife) so I would be interested in hearing about other's experiences with the system.
Using the cards is surely an innovation over the dice (she is used to Mentzer D&D) but are there things I should watch out for?

I love the Dragonlance SAGA game. We have had so much fun with it in my group.

First thing to keep in mind is that this is not D&D. If you want it to be D&D, then you are playing the wrong game. However, if you are ready to try something different and embrace those differences, then you will be able to enjoy SAGA much more.

One of the things I love about SAGA is how the cards in your hand reflect both your chances at succeeding and how much damage you can take. Suffered damage then automatically reduces your chances of success in a very elegant way.

The Role of the DM (Narrator) is different. You no longer have to roll dice or even use cards. All you have to do is declare difficulty numbers. While this feels strange at first, it can also be quite liberating, and frees up more time and energy for the DM to come up with descriptions, and twists and turns of the adventure on the fly. One of our DMs missed rolling some dice to get some more randomness to his adventures, but solved this by occasionally flipping a card, interpreting the outcome in a number of ways the easiest being Black=Bad, Red=Neutral, White=Good.

I think I have mentioned this before but I strongly recommend using the combat options in Heroes of Steel. They really make for a more dynamic combat system.

More later.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dreadnaught » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm

Would anyone know if there were any SAGA downloads available?
Dreadnaught
Orc

Postby Havard » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:21 pm

Dreadnaught wrote:Would anyone know if there were any SAGA downloads available?

Do you have this stuff?

http://www.dlnexus.com/archives/taladas/

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Dreadnaught » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:13 pm

Well, I was hoping to find more for the original continent as I'm limited to the two adventures from Dungeon but I'll take what I can get. Thanks!:)
Dreadnaught
Orc

Postby Tinker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:46 pm

I only have the core box set and the Saga Companion. I hope to be able to run a game using it someday.
Tinker
Orc

Postby Dragonhelm » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Just an FYI, Nexus 2.0 is going to showcase the SAGA system a lot better than the current rendition of the Nexus does. I'll provide updates once the new site is up.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Tinker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Just an FYI, Nexus 2.0 is going to showcase the SAGA system a lot better than the current rendition of the Nexus does. I'll provide updates once the new site is up.

Awesome DH! :mrgreen:
Tinker
Orc

Postby Havard » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Just an FYI, Nexus 2.0 is going to showcase the SAGA system a lot better than the current rendition of the Nexus does. I'll provide updates once the new site is up.

I agree with Tinker, I think this is good news. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Dragonlance