Mystic (Cleric Variant for 4e)

"For in ages past, beyond memory and word, in the first blush of the world, Dragons terrible and great made war on this world of Krynn."
The Book-House: Find Dragonlance products.

Moderators: maddog, Dragonhelm

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Mystic (Cleric Variant for 4e)

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:46 pm

Okay, gang, I've given a shot at creating a working model for a 4e mystic. Check it out!

Mystic (Ambient Cleric)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Re: Mystic (Cleric Variant for 4e)

Post by Philosopher » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Not bad. The tweaks are minor, and so they're very easy to implement, yet it has enough of a flavor difference from the regular cleric. Would you do something similar to the wizard for the sorcerer, or would you use the warlock?

I've been wondering whether the PHB2 classes that use the primal power source will be suitable for ambient casters in DL. One of them should be the sorcerer, as I understand. Perhaps the shaman (which I think is supposed to be the primal leader) can be used for a mystic when the book is released. I guess we'll see.
- Selman

Hugin
Green Dragon

Post by Hugin » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:45 pm

Nice change of flavour. It amazing what you can get from some slight changes. Thanks for sharing it.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:16 pm

I'm not sure on the implement. As written, it does't seem possible for the character to later find magical implements to gain bonuses.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 am

Philosopher wrote:Not bad. The tweaks are minor, and so they're very easy to implement, yet it has enough of a flavor difference from the regular cleric. Would you do something similar to the wizard for the sorcerer, or would you use the warlock?
My original thought was to use the warlock, but closer inspection has shown me that the wizard has more elemental-based powers. Since I'd be shooting for a sorcerer that keeps some of the themes of the SAGA sorcerer, the wizard makes a better choice.
I've been wondering whether the PHB2 classes that use the primal power source will be suitable for ambient casters in DL. One of them should be the sorcerer, as I understand. Perhaps the shaman (which I think is supposed to be the primal leader) can be used for a mystic when the book is released. I guess we'll see.
One of the power sources in the PHB2 is the elemental source. If the sorcerer is an elemental controller (perhaps with a touch of wild magic thrown in), then that will fit Dragonlance nicely. I'm not sure what the primal source will be like, so I can't say whether it will work for mystics or not. Possibly, but I think the primal source may be a bit too nature-based. While animism is one mystic sphere, it isn't the only one.
Ashtagon wrote:I'm not sure on the implement. As written, it does't seem possible for the character to later find magical implements to gain bonuses.
All it takes is a little creativity on the part of the DM. ;)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:12 am

Dragonhelm wrote:One of the power sources in the PHB2 is the elemental source.
I wish that were the case, but the image of the PHB2 cover says Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes.

Mind you, what I described in my previous post isn't certain, it's just speculation.
- Selman

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:01 am

Philosopher wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:One of the power sources in the PHB2 is the elemental source.
I wish that were the case, but the image of the PHB2 cover says Arcane, Divine, and Primal Heroes.

Mind you, what I described in my previous post isn't certain, it's just speculation.
Huh. Well, that could be a mock-up cover. I'd be happy enough if the sorcerer was arcane. I do hope it fits the bill. Otherwise, I think I'm fine with elemental or just using the wizard.

Of course, I kinda like bloodlines...
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Huh. Well, that could be a mock-up cover. I'd be happy enough if the sorcerer was arcane. I do hope it fits the bill. Otherwise, I think I'm fine with elemental or just using the wizard.
It didn't occur to me that it might just be a mock-up, so that's a fair point. Either way, I guess we just can't be sure about any of it at this time. Come to think of it, while I've heard some speculation that the sorcerer is primal, I've also heard that it's supposed to be another arcane controller.

But you're right, even if they don't provide classes that would be suitable for ambient casters, your variant above (and a similar one for the wizard) would work great. (Have you started running a 4e DL campaign yet, or are these just ideas you're tossing around now?)
- Selman

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:16 pm

Philosopher wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:(Have you started running a 4e DL campaign yet, or are these just ideas you're tossing around now?)
Currently, I'm going through Keep on the Shadowfell to get more familiarized with how 4e works.

After that, I hope to revive my Age of Mortals game. I got through Key of Destiny, but never got through Price of Courage. It's kind of discouraging that I never got any further. One of the players was playing a mystic of War who had become a Legion Mystic. So I'm hoping we can convert him to 4e.

For now, just ideas, but I hope to put them into practice in the future. Now to figure out how to adapt the nightstalker NPC...
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Return to “Dragonlance”