Amazing Engine as a Predecessor of Alterntity / D20Modern?

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Amazing Engine as a Predecessor of Alterntity / D20Moder

Post by Havard » Mon May 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:How easy is it to convert the d100 mechanic of Amazing Engine to d20 Modern?

Is it as simple as dividing target numbers by five, or is there a lot more too it than that?
I could never really get into Amazing Engine, but off hand I would say there is alot more to it than that.

Amazing Engine and Alternity are probably more like spiritual predecessors to D20 Modern than anything more. Fortunately, many of the settings and setting elements did get official conversions in the d20 line.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Amazing Engine as a Predecessor of Alterntity / D20Moder

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 10, 2016 11:34 pm

Havard wrote:
Big Mac wrote:How easy is it to convert the d100 mechanic of Amazing Engine to d20 Modern?

Is it as simple as dividing target numbers by five, or is there a lot more too it than that?
I could never really get into Amazing Engine, but off hand I would say there is alot more to it than that.

Amazing Engine and Alternity are probably more like spiritual predecessors to D20 Modern than anything more. Fortunately, many of the settings and setting elements did get official conversions in the d20 line.
One of the things I wonder about this relationship (and why I was talking about the conversion mechanics) is if the radical change between the two systems vs the change - but less radical change between 3e D&D and 2e AD&D might have made it a lot harder for people to buy into d20 Modern and then look back at the out of print Amazing Engine supplements to use alongside the d20 Modern rules.

I know, for example, that I'm buying 2e Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and Greyhawk products to "fill in" gaps in the 3e product lines of those campaign settings. The rules don't match exactly, but I don't have to totally rewrite everything. It seems like it just wouldn't "feel" so logical to be doing that with Amazing Engine products.

But maybe my gut feeling is off. Are there any d20 Modern fans on The Piazza who are snapping up old Amazing Engine products, specifically to use in d20 Modern games?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “d20 Modern”