d20 Modern campaign settings

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Ashtagon
Hierarch

d20 Modern campaign settings

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:09 pm

Listed in no particular order, and incorporating all official d20 Modern books, Dungeon magazine settings, Alternity settings, and Amazing Engine settings, here is the grand list. Note that some of the Dungeon magazine settings were written as D&D mods rather than d20 Modern mods; I have included them all for completeness.

Setting | Dungeon Magazine | d20 Modern | Amazing Engine | Alternity | See Also Spelljammer | Dungeon #92 | — | — | — | AD&D (2e) Thunderball | Dungeon #93 | — | — | — | — Gamma World | Dungeon #94 ("Omega World")| — | — | Gamma World (5e, 2000) | Gamma World (1978 et alii.) Starcraft | — | — | — | Starcraft | Bughunters V for Victory | Dungeon #97 | — | — | — | — Hijinx | Dungeon #99 | — | — | — | — Incursion | Dungeon #100 | — | — | — | — Iron Lords of Jupiter | Dungeon #101 | — | — | — | — Deathnet | Dungeon #105 | — | — | — | — Shadow Chasers | Dungeon #91 | d20 Modern | — | — | — Agents of PSI | — | d20 Modern | — | — | — Urban Arcana | — | d20 Modern, Urban Arcana | — | — | Magitech Pulp Heroes | Dungeon #90, #102 | d20 Past | — | — | Indiana Jones (1984) Age of Adventure | — | d20 Past | — | — | — Shadow Stalkers | — | d20 Past | — | — | — Dark Matter | Dungeon #108 | d20 Dark Matter | — | Dark Matter | Tabloid! Bughunters | — | d20 Future | Bughunters | — | Starcraft Dimension X | — | d20 Future | — | — | — From the Dark Heart of Space | — | d20 Future | — | — | — GeneTech | Dungeon #96 | d20 Future | — | — | Kromosome Mecha Crusade | Dungeon #95 | d20 Future | — | — | — Star*Drive | — | d20 Future | — | Star*Drive | Star Frontiers (1982) Star Law | — | d20 Future | — | — | Star Frontiers (1982) The Wasteland | — | d20 Future | — | — | — Cyber Rave | — | d20 Cyberscape | — | — | — Earth Inherited | — | d20 Apocalypse | — | — | — Atomic Sunrise | — | d20 Apocalypse | — | — | — Plague World | — | d20 Apocalypse | — | — | — For Faerie, Queen, and Country | — | — | For Faerie, Queen, and Country | — | — The Galactos Barrier | — | — | The Galactos Barrier (1993) | — | Star Wars Kromosome | — | — | Kromosome | — | GeneTech Magitech | — | — | Magitech | — | Urban Arcana Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega | — | — | Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega | — | Metamorphosis Alpha (1976) Once and Future King | — | — | Once and Future King | — | — Tabloid! | — | — | Tabloid! | — | Dark Matter
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: d20 Modern campaign settings

Post by shesheyan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:56 pm

Excellent ! ;)

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:21 pm

This leads me to note that there were three distinct Sci-Fi genres that early TSR covered. I believe "Post-Whoops" and "Space Hulk" were in a shared universe, but that "Space Opera" was a separate universe.

Post-Whoops
Gamma World and Omega World (Dungeon magazine) are obviously meant to be in a shared (same?) universe — they both feature aliens (actually mutated animals) called hoops and badders.

The Wasteland (d20 Future) makes no mention of specific aliens or mutants, but it is entirely believable that it could be in a shared universe with Gamma World. Atomic Sunrise (from d20 Apocalypse) is really just a more developed version of The Wasteland, except it includes campaign notes that tie it closer to the USA, and removes even the theoretical Gamma World association.

Space Opera
Star Frontiers (1982) featured dralasites (among others), and was not in the same shared universe as Gamma World. The races were copied and transplanted wholesale into d20 Future Chapter 13.

Star*Drive featured klicks (the designated enemy race, vaguely arachnoid). The d20 Future version doesn't formally specify other races, but implies the full Chapter 13 list is available; the artwork however includes one of the t'sa. I don't have the Alternity version of Star*Drive. What aliens are present in that game?

d20 Future's Star Law doesn't explicitly feature any aliens noted in the text. However, the art includes what looks very much like a weren.

Space Hulk
Amazing Engine's Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega features life in a wilderness setting. The tomato surprise is that it turns out to be a starship. Metamorphosis Alpha (1976) is the same thing. AD&D (1e) Module S4 is essentially the same concept, but on a crashed malfunctioning ship that had the same mission. I suspect this is the same "shared universe" as Gamma World, although not the same "campaign setting". The "aliens" are the same hoops, badders, and their friends found in Gamma World.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:33 pm

Thanks for making this list Ash, there are several items on it that list that I haven't even heard about. :)

I'd love to learn more about these settings.

-Havard

D&D Worlds (all editions),OD&D Settings, Classic D&D Settings, AD&D 1st Ed Settings, Savage Worlds Settings, WEG Settings, RuneQuest Settings, BRP Settings, d20 Modern Settings, Pathfinder Settings
Last edited by Havard on Thu May 26, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dryhad
Orc

Post by Dryhad » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:43 am

Ashtagon wrote:Star*Drive featured klicks (the designated enemy race, vaguely arachnoid). The d20 Future version doesn't formally specify other races, but implies the full Chapter 13 list is available; the artwork however includes one of the t'sa. I don't have the Alternity version of Star*Drive. What aliens are present in that game?
All the aliens in d20 Future that weren't from Star Frontiers (Dralasites, Vrusk, and Yazirians) were originally from Star*Drive. So the Aleerins (as "Mechalus"), Fraal, Sesheyans, T'sa, and Weren. I understand that many more were added in supplemental material, including the Medurr and their Dharmin slaves as seen in this web enhancement. The Medurr also enslaved Blix, for some reason presented in Urban Arcana (as far as I know the only Alternity material to appear there). Many races in the Menace Manual also had Alternity origins; mostly Dark*Matter but I know the Gardhyi and N'sss were originally from Star*Drive.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Could Shadow Stalkers (From D20 Past) be said to be an update on Boot Hill? Now, granted Shadow Stalkers exists in the past of the Shadow Chasers setting (described in the D20 Modern core book) and although it is set in 1872, it doesn't have to be placed in the Old West. On the other hand, the inclusion of the Frontier Marshall PrC does allow for a specific Old West setting, albeit with supernatural elements.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “d20 Modern”