Adapting the D&D Stronghold Builders Guide to d20 Modern

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Adapting the D&D Stronghold Builders Guide to d20 Modern

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Is it possible? The D&D Stronghold Builders Guidebook details construction of strongholds, costs, time spent as well as sample Strongholds. Should there be a book dedicated to the same for d20 Modern? Or does the game already have enough such information in the existing books?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Adapting the D&D Stronghold Builders Guide to d20 Modern

Post by Big Mac » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Wouldn't all the money be off for the D&D strongholds? Prices for building buildings have gone up a lot. Perhaps a conversion table (or an "exchange rate") could fix that.

The D&D book also would be missing things like nuclear bunkers.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:54 am

Big Mac wrote:Wouldn't all the money be off for the D&D strongholds? Prices for building buildings have gone up a lot. Perhaps a conversion table (or an "exchange rate") could fix that.

The D&D book also would be missing things like nuclear bunkers.
Yeah. I think maybe a complete rewrite would be better. Conspiracy X has rules for creating and improving bases for a modern type setting. Maybe something could be adapted from that RPG.

What other additions would be good to have in a modern base beyond having a nuclear bunker? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:03 pm

I'd just lift the Conspiracy X rules as they are. You'd just need to restat the buildings and extras for d20 Modern, but that would be relatively easy.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:45 am

Havard wrote:What other additions would be good to have in a modern base beyond having a nuclear bunker? :)
Depending on what the theme of the campaign setting, I kind of think that you need to go beyond the concept of a "base" with modern games.

If you look at the Dawn of the Dead movie, the characters in the story take control of a shopping complex, use lorries to block off the entrances and then build themselves a false wall, so that they can use the upper level that leads to the roof as a "keep".

Then you have 28 Days Later where people do a similar thing with a tower block.

And Resident Evil, has an underground biological warfare laboratory complex getting taken over by infected people.

Aliens has the same sort of thing happen in a terraforming base.

So - if you are going to have a "monster fight" kind of thing (either with zombies, alien creatures, robots or something like that) you can have an "improvised base" that originally has a different (non-military) purpose.

Actually, they do something a bit similar for Assault on Precinct 13 and that wasn't monsters - that was people.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Big Mac wrote:Actually, they do something a bit similar for Assault on Precinct 13 and that wasn't monsters - that was people.
Wait people are not monsters? :)

d20 Modern has Wealth Checks instead of worrying about exact amount of money you have. You might not use that some settings like Urban Arcana or a post-apocalyptic setting.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Return to “d20 Modern”