[Milky Way] Solar system map

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

[Milky Way] Solar system map

Post by shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 pm

I created this map of the solar system for my D20 Future game. One hex equal 1 UA = 150,000,000 kms

Last edited by shesheyan on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Currently playing : Coriolis The Third Horizon
Preparing : Modern AGE Urban Arcana mini-campaign
Reading : 5E Sci-Fi Esper Genesis

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Milky Way] Solar system map

Post by shesheyan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 pm

A map of the Milky Way with possible locations of home world of Star Frontiers races and other races mentioned in d20 Future book. The hexes were drawn over a scientific graphic of the Milky Way's arms. The Frontier Arm is of course fictitious.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Sweet.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Wow, these are excellent! I like that you included the d20 Future Races :)

Your use of hexes is really cool.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:56 am

With the Alternity 2017 playtest draft in my hands, these maps may prove very useful. Very useful indeed.......
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 am

Thank you everyone. Glad to see these can help.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 am

These look great, love them! ♥

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:02 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:56 pm
I created this map of the solar system for my D20 Future game. One hex equal 1 UA = 150,000,000 kms
Ohh! That's an unusual style. I like the way that you have most of the planets in a straight line, but have gone out in other directions for Venus, Earth and Mars in order to be able to get both the inner planets and outer planets onto the same diagram. (That's something that the Spelljammer designers were not able to do. They went for having two different diagrams. And I wonder how well this system of yours would work for SJ planetary systems.) Did you work out this trick for the inner planets of the Solar System straight away? Or did you have to fiddle around a bit before you got the concept to be this clear?

The AU hex is a genius idea. Not only do you have a standard hex size that is going to be memorable (and understandable). :cool:

Have you tried making a map for any of the other d20 Future planetary systems? How well does the mapping style hold up?

Are there star systems much larger than 40 AU that you have to deal with? I'm guessing you could shrink your hexes a bit more, before they became so small that they would start to become hard to read. I'm guessing you could also switch to a 2 AU, 5 AU or even 10 AU hex to cope with much bigger star systems, but that that would cause problems with the inner worlds.

Are there planetary systems with a lot of inner planets that would cause a mapping problem? It looks like you are only using 3 of the 6 potential 1 AU hexes and only 1 of the 6 potential 2 AU hexes, so I'm guessing that you might be able to cope with almost twice as many inner worlds, of they were spread out between the 1 AU and 2AU zones. I'm also guessing you could switch to a 1/2 AU hex, if you needed to fit more inner worlds in, but that that would cause problems with the outer worlds.
shesheyan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:01 pm
A map of the Milky Way with possible locations of home world of Star Frontiers races and other races mentioned in d20 Future book. The hexes were drawn over a scientific graphic of the Milky Way's arms. The Frontier Arm is of course fictitious.
This is very nice. It's less of a diagrammatic thing than the other map, and more of an artistic thing, but I still think that the style looks similar enough that they obviously go together.

I remember someone (it might have been Thorf or Anna Meyer) telling me that all maps misrepresent things in order to get the information out. I don't normally notice that stuff, but I think that the arms you show in the Galaxy are a great example of that. You have simplified what is often more of a smudge on diagrams and turned it into something a lot more like a contour line on a height map. That's very clever as it means that your map does what it needs to do, without being too fussy.

The sizes of these hexes isn't quite as memorable a number as the 1 AU hexes on your Solar System map, but I like the way that your distances are easily transformed into "25 days per hex", "12.5 days per hex" or "6.25 days per hex" of travel time (depending on what PL thingy people have).

I'm also interested by the fact that you have a "Ssheyan" on the map. That's quite close to the spelling of your forum name. Is there a connection between your forum name and d20 Future? What's the deal there? Is that your favourite planet, or something you made in homebrew? :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:52 pm

The idea behind the Solar System map was to show the system on one sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper. I had seen many solar system maps but they were unsatisfying. Too scientific... I decided to use hex mapping because that is what we did for D&D. This map was created as a educational tool to quickly show the distance between the planets to players. I wanted a solution usable with any fictions system. Once I decided not the represent the orbits around the Sun, it all fell into place. I was aware of the problem of representation of planets near the sun. Having the Spell Jammer box I decided not to do it the same way. It didn't take long before I came up with the «going off» in other directions to solve this.

This decision has a flaw. Distance between the same planets can vary immensely as they orbit around the sun throughout the year(s). I decided they were always at the same distance like clockwork. Its gamey, I know, but couldn't local a table with the correct distances. A table would have been great. I'm wondering if there is an APP for this now...I bet there is!

Yes Shesheyan is based off Sesheyan. Made a mistake while entering my forum user name. Really love the drawing and creature background of this D20 Modern alien race.

Here is an exemple of a Sector Hex and three planetary systems. Its the only one a ever made. Added the double coordinate system [Number] + [Letter] for localisation.

The Galactic Concord Core has three star systems each containing colonized planets. These planets were all terra_formed to create a central exchange/trade area in the Carina-Sagittarius arm of the galaxy. All races have free access to these systems and planets. The Fraals, strong defenders of inter racial relations, use their heavily armed colony ships to police the Galactic Concord Core.

PLANET NAME
• Distance : Distance in AU from the star of the system
• Type : Terra_Formed, Gas Giant, etc
• Planets with no type have no settlements
• Population : According to last census
• Size : Relative to Earth
• Government : Name of the race controlling the political body in place. Political systems vary widely : Dictatorship, Democratic, Corporate, etc

Return to “d20 Modern”