[D20 Past] Imperal Age Setting from Adamant Entertainment

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[D20 Past] Imperal Age Setting from Adamant Entertainment

Post by Havard » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm

DigitalElf mentioned this in this Ravenloft/MotRD thread. Apparently this setting uses the d20 Modern/Past ruleset and explores a Victorian/Gothic version of Earth, not unlike the Masque of the Red Death setting. There are 21 items listed on DrivethruRPG, including a bundle deal.

Anyone check out this setting? Is it worth picking up if one is more interested in the setting than the specific ruleset?

Are there other 3rd party settings that used specifically the D20 Modern (or Past, Future etc) as their system (as opposed to their own d20 variants)?

I also have this list for 3rd party d20 Modern/Future settings, but that list is not limited to this particular variant of d20.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Re: [D20 Past] Imperal Age Setting from Adamant Entertainment

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm

The 6th edition of Gamma World had rules for using both d20 modern and 3rd edition D&D.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am

Digitalelf wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:12 pm
The 6th edition of Gamma World had rules for using both d20 modern and 3rd edition D&D.
Good point, 6th Ed was published by SSS, so it should also make it to the 3PP list.

Did you get a chance to look at the Imperial Age Setting in greater detail yet? How similar is it to MotRD?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 pm
DigitalElf mentioned this in this Ravenloft/MotRD thread. Apparently this setting uses the d20 Modern/Past ruleset and explores a Victorian/Gothic version of Earth, not unlike the Masque of the Red Death setting. There are 21 items listed on DrivethruRPG, including a bundle deal.

Anyone check out this setting? Is it worth picking up if one is more interested in the setting than the specific ruleset?
I've never heard of this before, but I think I saw something for it that was written for True 20. So I'm not sure if Adamant Entertainment converted this to a ruleset you like to play with.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Digitalelf
Hobgoblin

Post by Digitalelf » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:51 am
Did you get a chance to look at the Imperial Age Setting in greater detail yet? How similar is it to MotRD?
At its core, this is the game's concept in a nutshell:
The Imperial Age RPG book wrote: The Age of Occult Steam

While The Imperial Age is designed for modularity and customization, it was necessary for us to establish a “default” setting when crafting our official Imperial Age adventure line. We took a “kitchen sink” approach, allowing you to use the full range of options offered in this book.

The default starting year for the Age of Occult Steam is 1880 and, to the public at large, the world is as the history books recorded it. Victoria is Queen of Great Britain and Empress of India and European states are busy carving chunks of Africa for themselves. William Gladstone is about to retake his post as Prime Minister from Benjamin Disraeli. The Second Afghan War is drawing to a close.

Beneath this mundane veneer, however, preternatural forces lurk in secret. Practitioners of magick really can cast hermetic spells, while certain alienists can unlock the mind’s full potential. Faeries lurk in the shadows of the cities and deep in the wilderness. Mediums do occasionally contact the dead. Those aware of such things do their best to keep the public in the dark for fear of persecution and reprisal. To the average Victorian, ghosts, goblins, and wizards are the stuff of folktales and penny dreadfuls.

While the power of steam has been driving locomotives and ships for decades, more outrageous inventions are the province of inventors of questionable sanity. While the general public is more willing to accept the notion of strange steam-driven contraptions than magick and fairies, they are still rather skeptical and dubious as to the practicality and safety of such designs. While a keen inventor has the power to reshape the world, it simply hasn’t happened yet.
The setting is indeed very modular, with each supplement being completely and totally optional. Also, each supplement offers several options on how one might introduce the supplement's subject matter into a campaign. For example, the supplement on "Magick" offers three different options on how "magick" might be practiced within a campaign... Such as it might be practiced much like it is within standard d20 rules, another is that it might be limited and hard to master. One could make the setting more "steampunk", with steam-powered automatons. The level of customization available seems limitless.

So one could, through careful selection of the available options, construct a campaign that is closer to that of MotRD. But then, one could also construct a campaign that is closer to TSR's Amazing Engine's "For Faerie Queen, & Country" setting just as easily.
Last edited by Digitalelf on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “d20 Modern”