d20M Campaign Idea: Blackmoor 2000

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderators: Idabrius, Blacky the Blackball

d20M Campaign Idea: Blackmoor 2000

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Inspired by the Greyhawk 2000 concept, here's an idea I have been thinking about for a while now:

970 years have passed since the spaceship crashed near King Uther's Blackmoor. The lore brought back from the City of the Gods allow the Wizards to Blackmoor, working with dwarves and Gnomes to speed up the technological advancement at a meteoric rate. Centuries later, the Kingdom of Blackmoor has come to dominate most of the northern hemisphere, through the use of technology, magic and military prowess. Some prophets say the end of the world is coming by the end of the decade.

What would the setting be like compared to other D20 Modern settings? Technology is partially fueled by magic, which could cause it to be less predictable, and have a different outlook than what we would expect. The tech level will be high enough for Blackmoorians to have ventured far into space, so any kind of futuristic technology is probably available.

It is a fantasy setting so fantasy races and monsters will be around a plenty (Urban Arcana will be useful).

The following products would be useful:
• D20 Modern RPG
• Menace Manual
• Urban Arcana
• D20 Future
• D20 Future Technology
• D20 Cyberscape
• Weapons Locker
• Foul Weather (details the story of the Beagle)

Other ideas?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: d20M Campaign Idea: Blackmoor 2000

Postby Philosopher » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Would magic and technology work together, as you envision this setting, or would they be at odds? Each could be interesting.

If the former, perhaps you could draw some inspiration from Eberron, where magic is used for modern-like conveniences. (I'm not familiar enough with Eberron to know how well it would work for you.) Depending on your cosmology, maybe there could be permanently opened conduits to the quasi-elemental plane of lighting for power (and maybe before they figured out how to use electricity, they primarily used conduits to the quasi-elemental plane of steam).

If the latter, then the Amethyst setting could be of help. Again, I'm not familiar enough with the details, but it does portray a world where magic and technology cannot be used together. If this is the case, then as technology advances, perhaps they eschew the use of magic. Maybe technology comes to out-perform magic, or maybe magic remains more powerful but less economically viable.

Just some thoughts. I like your basic premise, and it's worth fleshing out more details or making some of your assumptions explicit.
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Chimpman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Yes! :D This is a great concept! I've never been much of a Modern player, so I probably can't help much rules wise. I'd love to explore what Blackmoor was like at its height.

There's definitely room for a "Martian colony" ;) and possibly some kind of conflict with the planar spiders of Chak.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Dave L » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:25 pm

I have none of the books you mention, but man that cityscape looks pretty! :)
Dave L
Storm Giant

Postby Azaghal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:51 pm

Wow! Great idea Havard! Initial thoughts on magic, have magic in use somewhat like the force in Starwars. But it should be much more prevalant. Some fusion of magic and tech along the lines of Ebberon would be important features.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby RobJN » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:58 pm

I, too, am intrigued by what little I've heard/read of Blackmoor-before-the-fall. I've read, for instance of a "meteoric rise" of the kingdom to a technologically advanced culture, due (largely, I assume) to the alien tech glommed from the City of the Gods and reverse-engineered at the University.

I'm inclined to view the setting as a sort of "magi-tech" fusing of magical and technological. Eberron strikes me as a bit too "steam-punk" in flavor -- I could see the whole dirigibles-and-biplanes thing as Blackmoor rose, but they seem to've been long past that phase when the society reached its peak. Of course, it could well be that while Blackmoor City itself was all gleaming spires of glass and steel and glassteel, the outlying colonies still subsist at significantly lower progress levels, with bits and pieces of the "good stuff" coming their way every now and then...

I have some ideas of my own regarding Blackmoor-before-the-fall, but they are heavily shaded by the worldview and events from Thorn's Chronicle, and thus a bit off the beaten Gazetteer/DA modules' path.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:19 pm

I agree with Rob. From what I've seen of the Thor trailer (before it was yanked off the net) I'd be inclined to model Blackmoor at it peak after Asgard.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby shesheyan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:55 am

Oh I really love this idea !

You might want to look at : http://dragonstarsrd.freehostia.com/
If memory serve me right it was a spelljammer/fantasy races in space setting.
shesheyan
Stone Giant

Postby Azaghal » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:50 am

shesheyan wrote:
You might want to look at : http://dragonstarsrd.freehostia.com/
If memory serve me right it was a spelljammer/fantasy races in space setting.

Thanks for the link Shesheyan! Awesome stuff!
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks for all the comments so far! I will try to answer some of the questions asked...

Philosopher wrote:Would magic and technology work together, as you envision this setting, or would they be at odds? Each could be interesting.

I think the great project of the Blackmoorians is to try to combine the two. The results were impressive, but in the end these are two forces that are impossible to combine; technology being based on logic and magic on contradiction. In the end the consequences were catastrophic. However, in the Blackmoor 2000 setting, technology and magic are still working together, but perhaps with some indications that this could end very badly...

I see Wizards in the role of scientists, perhaps with a similar approach to magic as in the Fading Suns setting. Various races and classes will no doubt have different attitudes towards technology, but after nearly a milennia, they all have to deal with it in some way or other.

If the former, perhaps you could draw some inspiration from Eberron, where magic is used for modern-like conveniences. (I'm not familiar enough with Eberron to know how well it would work for you.) Depending on your cosmology, maybe there could be permanently opened conduits to the quasi-elemental plane of lighting for power (and maybe before they figured out how to use electricity, they primarily used conduits to the quasi-elemental plane of steam).

I think those are great ideas! James Mishler also hinted at technomancy stretching across the planes in his Blackmoor epic.

If the latter, then the Amethyst setting could be of help. Again, I'm not familiar enough with the details, but it does portray a world where magic and technology cannot be used together. If this is the case, then as technology advances, perhaps they eschew the use of magic. Maybe technology comes to out-perform magic, or maybe magic remains more powerful but less economically viable.

Might still be worth checking out. Aquaria also seems to be working from this premise.

Just some thoughts. I like your basic premise, and it's worth fleshing out more details or making some of your assumptions explicit.

Thanks! The OP were just my initial thoughts. I will try to get some further details pinned down:

* Technology is believed by the Blackmoorians to be an extension of Magic: Technomancy. Technomancy is inherently flawed since it tries to combine logic and the esoteric which are contradictory.
* The small kingdom of Blackmoor has conquered most of the eastern part of the northern continent (Skothar-Brun). The "Brun" portion to the west is still inhabited by evil dragons, Giants, humanoids and barbarians (Azcans, Oltecs, primitive dwarves), but since the Beastmen Crusades, there has been little opposition from this part of the world. Blackmoor has established military bases on various locations here (ie Urzud), and small colonies have sprung up around them, but otherwise, Brun is fairly low-tech.
* Skandaharians have remained independent of Blackmoor and have developed their own technomagical realm, but are seen as minor rivals rather than any serious threat.
* The Southern Continent is ruled by lizardfolk and the like. Elven realms in the far south have had frequent contact with Blackmoor and have become so fascinated by technology that it borders on the unhealthy. They are now known as the Blacklore Elves.
* The Order of the Frog still exists as a secret mazon-like brotherhood.
* The Egg of Coot is believed to have been destroyed, but might in fact be in control of one of the largest corporations in Blackmoor.
* The Space Program has allowed for bases to be constructed on Damocles and "Mars". Possible origins of Myoshima could be placed on the moon.
* The Duchy of the Peaks still exists in a semi-independent fashion becoming this worlds Las Vegas, Amsterdam or perhaps more like Biff Tannen's Hilldale.
* Vestfold and Blackmoor have grown together into a single large mega-city. This world's New York.
* The Duchy of Ten is controlled by Blackmoor, but Starmorgan is the second most important city in the North.
* Mohacs is the most important city in the South.
* I am undecided on what to do with the Tanagoro. I'm leaning towards some having been incorporated into the Empire (Bolgers) and others left as low-tech.
* John Rafiel is one of the most prominent scientists at the Blackmoor University in this age.

More later :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Philosopher » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Havard wrote:
Philosopher wrote:Would magic and technology work together, as you envision this setting, or would they be at odds? Each could be interesting.

I think the great project of the Blackmoorians is to try to combine the two. The results were impressive, but in the end these are two forces that are impossible to combine; technology being based on logic and magic on contradiction. In the end the consequences were catastrophic. However, in the Blackmoor 2000 setting, technology and magic are still working together, but perhaps with some indications that this could end very badly...

Heh, I love the fact that I asked you which of two options you had in mind, and you responded with a third option that combined the two, which I hadn't considered. I like this idea! What's especially cool about it is that you set the campaign right at the time when the indications of catastrophe begin to emerge. Do you plan on doing anything with this for the PCs to deal with, or is it just to be part of the background? Or do you have a third option I hadn't considered? ;)
- Selman
Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Postby Chimpman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm really loving this idea Havard. It almost makes me want to switch gears from 2300 BC to 3030 BC ;)... almost... Regardless, I'm going to mine this thread like crazy for ideas to import 700 years down the line.
Havard wrote:* Technology is believed by the Blackmoorians to be an extension of Magic: Technomancy. Technomancy is inherently flawed since it tries to combine logic and the esoteric which are contradictory.

Yup, spot on. I'm wondering if you could throw in the beginnings of the Technomancy vs. Elven Returnists debates... perhaps even bringing in one of Ilsundal's ancestors - his father perhaps? I can definitely see protesters rallying outside of Blackmoorian technomantic power plants.

Havard wrote:* The small kingdom of Blackmoor has conquered most of the eastern part of the northern continent (Skothar-Brun). The "Brun" portion to the west is still inhabited by evil dragons, Giants, humanoids and barbarians (Azcans, Oltecs, primitive dwarves), but since the Beastmen Crusades, there has been little opposition from this part of the world. Blackmoor has established military bases on various locations here (ie Urzud), and small colonies have sprung up around them, but otherwise, Brun is fairly low-tech.

Most of the Brun we know is under (or near) the polar ice cap, so it's also a pretty harsh place. I'm wondering how much of Blackmoorian technomancy cultures like the Oltecs and Azcans would have adopted? Is it possible that the Azcans used what little technomantic knowledge they possessed to help them build a shelter under the Great Plateau?

Also if you intend to include the Mogreth resources as well, you could actually have a set of Carnifex living in a hidden (and warmed) valley up there. These would be the Old Kings (I think of the Second Empire of Mogreth?). I'm not sure what kind of interaction they would have with Blackmoor, but they could be used as another antagonist.

Havard wrote:* Skandaharians have remained independent of Blackmoor and have developed their own technomagical realm, but are seen as minor rivals rather than any serious threat.

I'd love to see technomancy merged with the afterlife in some way - perhaps technomantic artifacts designed to communicate with those ancestors still lingering in Limbo. Perhaps the Skandaharians even possess the means to travel to the afterlife and back again. Technomantic Valkyries anyone?

Havard wrote:* The Southern Continent is ruled by lizardfolk and the like. Elven realms in the far south have had frequent contact with Blackmoor and have become so fascinated by technology that it borders on the unhealthy. They are now known as the Blacklore Elves.

These lizardfolk could be the shattered remnants of the last Carnifex Empire - something the Carnifex of the north might look down upon as regressing savages.
Again with the elves I think this is a great opportunity to start up the technomagic vs returnist debate.

Havard wrote:* The Order of the Frog still exists as a secret mazon-like brotherhood.

Yay!

Havard wrote:* The Egg of Coot is believed to have been destroyed, but might in fact be in control of one of the largest corporations in Blackmoor.

This is just a really cool idea. For some reason I can't get the image of the Egg (whatever it really is) dressed up in a suit and tie :twisted:

Havard wrote:* The Space Program has allowed for bases to be constructed on Damocles and "Mars". Possible origins of Myoshima could be placed on the moon.

This makes me wonder about Myoshiman history during and after the GRoF. Being on a separate planet they could have avoided the worst brunt of the disaster. Makes me wonder if there were ever any colonization/conquest attempts by Myoshima after the GRoF.

Havard wrote:* John Rafiel is one of the most prominent scientists at the Blackmoor University in this age.

Just make sure there is a John Rafiel Jr. waiting in the background just in case the PCs happen to neutralize Sr. and his dangerous experiments :twisted:
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:08 pm

Philosopher wrote:Heh, I love the fact that I asked you which of two options you had in mind, and you responded with a third option that combined the two, which I hadn't considered. I like this idea! What's especially cool about it is that you set the campaign right at the time when the indications of catastrophe begin to emerge. Do you plan on doing anything with this for the PCs to deal with, or is it just to be part of the background? Or do you have a third option I hadn't considered? ;)

Well, there are various ways to deal with this. One option is to just leave it hanging there, postponing the Great Rain of Fire (GRoF) to sometime after the campaign ends. Another is to reveal this possible future to the players in the form of an old profecy, perhaps based on "accounts from travellers from the future" (reference to DA1). A keyword here though would be "possible future" as there should be a way for the PCs to alter this and prevent the imminent destruction. Of course, there is more than one way that Blackmoor can be destroyed and the players shouldn't know exactly what would trigger the Great Rain of Fire. I think it would be a big mistake to force this campaign to follow the exact Mystara timeline should the players choose to alter things for better or worse.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:42 pm

Chimpman wrote:I'm really loving this idea Havard. It almost makes me want to switch gears from 2300 BC to 3030 BC ;)... almost... Regardless, I'm going to mine this thread like crazy for ideas to import 700 years down the line.

Great! Well, if these projects can help stimulate one another that is all for the better! I will be borrowing ideas from the 2300 BC project as well. :)

Havard wrote:* Technology is believed by the Blackmoorians to be an extension of Magic: Technomancy. Technomancy is inherently flawed since it tries to combine logic and the esoteric which are contradictory.

Yup, spot on. I'm wondering if you could throw in the beginnings of the Technomancy vs. Elven Returnists debates... perhaps even bringing in one of Ilsundal's ancestors - his father perhaps? I can definitely see protesters rallying outside of Blackmoorian technomantic power plants.

I was thinking the exact thing. This is the build up to the reaction movement lead by Ilsundal. I like the idea of Ilsundal's father being involved. The elves of the North have probably all become consumed by the fascination of technology at this point...

Most of the Brun we know is under (or near) the polar ice cap, so it's also a pretty harsh place. I'm wondering how much of Blackmoorian technomancy cultures like the Oltecs and Azcans would have adopted? Is it possible that the Azcans used what little technomantic knowledge they possessed to help them build a shelter under the Great Plateau?

I am a little uncertain about how to deal with this. IMC I have always used the HW Pre-Cataclysmic map which does not place the Known World under the Ice Cap. This makes more sense when you think about the lifestyles of the Azcans/Oltecs. OTOH, that might make it more difficult to make use of works by you, Hugin, OldDawg etc which is something I would like to do.

In the case of Azcans, I dont see why some of them could not have adopted some technomantic knowledge, but I dont think it has come to dominate their culture. Probably those livining the closest to the Blackmoorian outposts will have the most knowledge of such matters.

Also if you intend to include the Mogreth resources as well, you could actually have a set of Carnifex living in a hidden (and warmed) valley up there. These would be the Old Kings (I think of the Second Empire of Mogreth?). I'm not sure what kind of interaction they would have with Blackmoor, but they could be used as another antagonist.

You guys have produced so much material that it is hard to keep up, but I would like to make use of this. Having the Carnifex around is a fun adventure possibility. In spite of Blackmoor's dominance in this age, the world should not be without dangers.

I'd love to see technomancy merged with the afterlife in some way - perhaps technomantic artifacts designed to communicate with those ancestors still lingering in Limbo. Perhaps the Skandaharians even possess the means to travel to the afterlife and back again. Technomantic Valkyries anyone?

Cool idea! Another way of incorporating those visuals from the Thor trailer too? :)

These lizardfolk could be the shattered remnants of the last Carnifex Empire - something the Carnifex of the north might look down upon as regressing savages.
Again with the elves I think this is a great opportunity to start up the technomagic vs returnist debate.

Yep. I am using Mishler's Epic as a basis for this. Davania is ruled by scattered remains of the Serpentine Empire, in turn a remnant of servtors of the Carnifex. Various lizard and serpent type races have different realms on this continent.

This is just a really cool idea. For some reason I can't get the image of the Egg (whatever it really is) dressed up in a suit and tie :twisted:

*lol*
The Egg is of course a Cthulhu-ish servitor of the Outer Beings. Imagine a Megacorporation controlled by something like that. Wolfram & Hart times 2000.

This makes me wonder about Myoshiman history during and after the GRoF. Being on a separate planet they could have avoided the worst brunt of the disaster. Makes me wonder if there were ever any colonization/conquest attempts by Myoshima after the GRoF.

I will have to read up on Myoshima for this. My general idea for space colonies is that they mostly died off after the GRoF and perhaps much of the technology was purged by the Immortals or buried underground.

Havard wrote:* John Rafiel is one of the most prominent scientists at the Blackmoor University in this age.

Just make sure there is a John Rafiel Jr. waiting in the background just in case the PCs happen to neutralize Sr. and his dangerous experiments :twisted:[/quote]

Not a bad way of handling it. OTOH, I do think that the players should be able to alter the timeline if they want to. However, I dont think Rafiel was in any way responsible for the GRoF. If he had been, his attitude towards technology and such would be very different in AC1000. Instead, I see Rafiel as a guy trying to figure out what is going on. He might be a good candidate as a patron for the PCs, hiring them to make investigations for him. He might already have seen some of the dangerous signs that things are going in the wrong direction and will need the PCs to help him. Of course, being Rafiel, he can be a tad manipulative...

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Chimpman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 am

Havard wrote:
Philosopher wrote:Heh, I love the fact that I asked you which of two options you had in mind, and you responded with a third option that combined the two, which I hadn't considered. I like this idea! What's especially cool about it is that you set the campaign right at the time when the indications of catastrophe begin to emerge. Do you plan on doing anything with this for the PCs to deal with, or is it just to be part of the background? Or do you have a third option I hadn't considered? ;)

Well, there are various ways to deal with this. One option is to just leave it hanging there, postponing the Great Rain of Fire (GRoF) to sometime after the campaign ends. Another is to reveal this possible future to the players in the form of an old profecy, perhaps based on "accounts from travellers from the future" (reference to DA1). A keyword here though would be "possible future" as there should be a way for the PCs to alter this and prevent the imminent destruction. Of course, there is more than one way that Blackmoor can be destroyed and the players shouldn't know exactly what would trigger the Great Rain of Fire. I think it would be a big mistake to force this campaign to follow the exact Mystara timeline should the players choose to alter things for better or worse.

If the campaign focuses around stopping the disaster, then I'd allow the PCs to accomplish the task (possibly). However like you suggest, they may actually only be postponing the inevitable. Not much is going to change in Modern Day Mystara if the GRoF happens in BC 3000 verses BC 2970, for example... or even if it happens in BC 2500. All you have to do is take current Mystaran history and condense it a bit so everything works out in the end.

OR - you could always develop a parallel world ;)

Of course if you never intend on running the same group through Mystara in the present (AC 1000), then it really doesn't matter anyway.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Chimpman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:55 am

Havard wrote:I was thinking the exact thing. This is the build up to the reaction movement lead by Ilsundal. I like the idea of Ilsundal's father being involved. The elves of the North have probably all become consumed by the fascination of technology at this point...

I like the idea that Ilsundal's father actually lived in the North at one point and was able to discern the problems and dangers associated with technomancy. Perhaps he managed to make it back to Vulcania before the end (or even better) perhaps he only managed to send his family home before it was too late - shades of Krypton seeping through... ;)

Havard wrote:

Cool idea! Another way of incorporating those visuals from the Thor trailer too? :)

:mrgreen:

Havard wrote:

I will have to read up on Myoshima for this. My general idea for space colonies is that they mostly died off after the GRoF and perhaps much of the technology was purged by the Immortals or buried underground.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I'd handle it as well.

Havard wrote:Not a bad way of handling it. OTOH, I do think that the players should be able to alter the timeline if they want to. However, I dont think Rafiel was in any way responsible for the GRoF. If he had been, his attitude towards technology and such would be very different in AC1000.
[/quote][/quote]
I wouldn't be so sure of that :twisted: If you consider Rafiel to be a true neutral, he might deem the discovery of creating Radiance Immortals to be worth the sacrifice. But I can understand playing him differently as well. I think Rafiel is one of those great NPCs that a DM can do just about anything with.

There was something else I wanted to mention last time and forgot. I can't believe that none of us has mentioned the Comeback Inn in this setting. How about setting up some secret agency based around the inn and its time traveling properties. Not sure if you are familiar with Doctor Who (the recent stuff), but if so I'd say something that models Torchwood. It could even serve as the "patron" organization for a bunch of PCs. Of course it could serve just as well as a great antagonist - especially if someone unstable gets a hold of it and starts pulling creatures from all over Mystara's history (past and present) to throw at the PCs.

... and if we ever wanted a way to preserve some of this Blackmoor, this would be the thing to use. If for example, the Comeback Institute found a nice stable time period around AC 1020...
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Elvith Jars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Personally I think you could blend the esoteric forces of magic with modern technology quite well. Take the Blackmoor Space Agency for instance. You could make a permanent heat metal enchantment on some metal rods, dunk them in water, hook up some steam turbines and alternators, and you have a non-nuclear generator. Hose those rods down with liquid hydrogen in a combustion chamber, and you have a nuclear thermal rocket without the radiation. You could combine the generator with the engine since your rods will be continually hot, and then augment the engine with liquid oxygen (kind of like an afterburner), and now you've got serious thrust. Enchant your spacecraft with levitate, and you won't need to achieve orbital velocity to balance out the acceleration due to gravity (effectively "falling" around the planet as we do in the real world). You'd still need to achieve escape velocity, but that's no biggie with constant thrust.

Add a decantur of endless water or a gate to the elemental plane of water that can keep up with the fuel flow rate, and you won't need massively huge fuel tanks. Your ISP (basically your fuel consumption rate) will suffer if you use water instead of LH2, but so what, you have an endless supply of the stuff. Modern computer technology will be helpful to calculate orbits and fly the spacecraft on autopilot.

Enchant the crew areas with Endure Elements, then add in a purify air enchantment, and you've got the basics of life support. Create food and water scrolls gives you a compact food supply. If you want to, you could petrify the crew for the long interplanetary trips so that they don't age and don't take up supplies and don't get cabin fever. Then you could create some warforged or golems or elementals to revive the crew at their destination, and they don't have to be smart enough to fly the ship; the ship's computers can do it for them.

With just a few simple spells and enchantments, and you've got yourself a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft capable of interplanetary flight.
Last edited by Elvith Jars on Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby Elvith Jars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Another idea: With a transmute water to superheated steam enchantment, you could easily build a piston engine that is environmentally friendly. Your engine oil could come from olive trees even; no need to drill for oil!
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby Elvith Jars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:01 pm

Just like in Eberron, you could have magewrights who learn a scant few rituals in order to perform their job. With enough of them you could mass produce magical enchantments, much like workers in the food industry shuck oysters, harvest crops, and so on. And wouldn't you know it, The Magewright Union at Uther Aeromotive is demanding higher wages. Again...
Last edited by Elvith Jars on Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby Elvith Jars » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Blackmoor Times

For the first time in Millenia, a starship orbits our world. The Blackmoor Space Agency Starship (BSAS) Beagle II orbits overhead, standing ready to enter the history books by crossing the great void between star systems, reach Bork's Star (some wanted to call it Higara after a popular video game), and attempt to contact the Galactic Fedaration. This incredible journey wouldn't be possible without Beagletech combined with wizardry. Looking like a giant jellyfish, a large shield protects the BSAS Beagle II from interstellar dust while mass reduction enchantments reduce impact effects. Magical thermal rockets built into the shield's backside provide thrust and generate electricity while a thick cable with the starship's modified space station modules and interplanetary shuttles trail behind.

Though the Beagle's FTL drive remains a mystery and unavailable to the Beagle II, mass effect rituals make it possible to accelerate the BSAS Beagle II up to 1.1% of light speed but it'll still take four centuries to reach Bork's Star. While the crew of 125 humans, elves, gnomes, orcs and rakasta rest in petrisleep, a crew of golems and D-Bots will guard their precious cargo...

Last edited by Elvith Jars on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 am, edited 5 times in total.
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby Elvith Jars » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:41 am

Anyway, pretty cool idea. BTW, what is "Foul Weather?"
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby RobJN » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:03 am

"Foul Weather" is an adventure for the d20 Future sourcebook, available here.
Wizards of the Coast wrote:Two derelict spacecraft orbiting a planet on the fringe of known space pay silent homage to the fragility of human life and the raw, devastating power of space. For the past two years, the I.S.S. Beagle and End's Run have orbited this planet, locked together in a grim dance of death. Can the heroes unlock the secret of their destruction without falling victim to the same fate?

Foul Weather is an adventure for 5th-level characters by Mike McArtor that explores the many dangers of deep space -- even for those accustomed to dealing with it.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Elvith Jars » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:27 am

Nice link, thanks! In order to rapidly advance technology, I could see the Beagle's crew working with the natives to use magic in place of things like chemistry and engineering to some degree, allowing them to "cut corners" as they advance the technology. Maybe cutting those corners is part of what brings about the GRoF. They would probably have to downgrade their tech significantly for awhile until tools and manufacturing capabilities became available. Think of the Axis of Time trilogy by John Birmingham. A 21st century battlegroup goes back into time to WWII, and by the end of the series, America went from 1940s tech to 1960s tech. One of the neat things about that series is examining what changes would be made to the culture, as well as the tech level. But given our own rapid advance in electronics with the advent of computers (heck we design aircraft carriers on computers nowadays), you might end up with a socity that's well in advanced of ours in the 970 years that have passed.

Just imagine if the Beagle II took 400+ years to reach "Bork's Star." The crew would know that any friends and relatives they leave behind will be long dead, and when they fail to contact the Galactic Federation, they turn around to go home... arriving in present day Blackmoor!
Elvith Jars
Ogre

Postby Havard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Great ideas Elvith! I am not sure how much of the Beagle, Bork Riesling etc will be known to people however. If we follow what's written on the Beagle in WotI, then the Beagle itself is completely destroyed a few centuries after the crash, although alot of tech has been sold off to locals before that.

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Seer of Yhog » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:08 pm

This is a really neat idea, Havard!

chimpman wrote:Also if you intend to include the Mogreth resources as well, you could actually have a set of Carnifex living in a hidden (and warmed) valley up there. These would be the Old Kings (I think of the Second Empire of Mogreth?). I'm not sure what kind of interaction they would have with Blackmoor, but they could be used as another antagonist.

Depending on how close we are to 3000 BC, we're looking at different empires. Currently I have the last of the Carnifex kings retreat from public view around 3050 BC. Technically then, the Second Empire didn't begin until after the GRoF, but the last years of the First Empire were, in fact, under the reign of the first lizard man sorcerer kings (the "first First", if you will).

So, while Mogreth grew increasingly isolationist as Blackmoor grew in power (the Carnifex may have thought of the themselves as gods, but they weren't stupid), the period between BC 4000-3000 is pretty bare in my timeline. The Skandaharians would have tried raiding Isshum and Ssugath (as artificially warm ports in the cold north, they would have had slaves, loot, and other things worth taking), but the magic of the Carnifex would have made it a dangerous undertaking, so they probably left Mogreth alone after a while. But, my thought has always been that the Carnifex would have tried (at first) to keep the growing Blackmoorian Empire in check. When that failed, the seeds of paranoia about being swamped by humans were planted in Mogreth's collective psyche.

The Beastman Crusades would probably have occurred near Mogreth, but the beastmen would probably have given the realm as wide a berth as they could, once it became clear that anyone who ventured too close to that misty, humid land vanished.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Next

Return to d20 Modern