d20M Campaign Idea: Blackmoor 2000

It's a great new fantasy role-playing game. We pretend we're workers and students in an industrialised and technological society.
The Book-House: Find d20 Modern products.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: d20M Campaign Idea: Blackmoor 2000

Post by RobJN » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:49 pm

Chimpman wrote:There was something else I wanted to mention last time and forgot. I can't believe that none of us has mentioned the Comeback Inn in this setting. How about setting up some secret agency based around the inn and its time traveling properties. Not sure if you are familiar with Doctor Who (the recent stuff), but if so I'd say something that models Torchwood. It could even serve as the "patron" organization for a bunch of PCs. Of course it could serve just as well as a great antagonist - especially if someone unstable gets a hold of it and starts pulling creatures from all over Mystara's history (past and present) to throw at the PCs.

... and if we ever wanted a way to preserve some of this Blackmoor, this would be the thing to use. If for example, the Comeback Institute found a nice stable time period around AC 1020...
Having agents from the future safeguarding the past brings up the old paradox, though: if they avert the disaster in their past, then the future they came from doesn't exist... Ugh. I hate all this timey-wimey stuff! :shock:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 pm

RobJN wrote:
Chimpman wrote:There was something else I wanted to mention last time and forgot. I can't believe that none of us has mentioned the Comeback Inn in this setting. How about setting up some secret agency based around the inn and its time traveling properties. Not sure if you are familiar with Doctor Who (the recent stuff), but if so I'd say something that models Torchwood. It could even serve as the "patron" organization for a bunch of PCs. Of course it could serve just as well as a great antagonist - especially if someone unstable gets a hold of it and starts pulling creatures from all over Mystara's history (past and present) to throw at the PCs.

... and if we ever wanted a way to preserve some of this Blackmoor, this would be the thing to use. If for example, the Comeback Institute found a nice stable time period around AC 1020...
Having agents from the future safeguarding the past brings up the old paradox, though: if they avert the disaster in their past, then the future they came from doesn't exist... Ugh. I hate all this timey-wimey stuff! :shock:
I was actually thinking something slightly different. Agents from the past, trying to safeguard their future... but not by saving Blackmoor :shock:, at least not in the way you might think. Premise this ;):

1) The Fetch, having already pulled heroes from Mystara's future into his own present (circa BC 4000) in order to save his Blackmoor, decides to start exploring the future of his nation. He travels through time (say the next 1000 years or so) and builds up an organization called the Comeback Institute (or should it be the Comeback Innstitute?).

2) The Comeback Institute is dedicated to the preservation and expansion of Blackmoorian culture, and over the 1000 year time span from BC 4000 to BC 3000, they do a pretty good job of it... however there are just some things that mortals (and even perhaps the immortals) can not change. For some reason they have difficulty traveling anywhere between BC 3030 and BC 2970, and journeying to any time after BC 2970 reveals that Blackmoor has been destroyed. [Unknown to them, Radiance fallout corrupts time travel during this stretch of time]

3) Being brilliant, the Fetch deduces that something in that period destroys Blackmoor, and after nearly 1000 years of trying, he is no closer to preventing that occurrence. Rather than continuing in a quest doomed to failure, the Fetch decides to change his tactics. He begins gathering Blackmoor's best and brightest from across that 1000 year time period and prepares them to make an even greater time jump.

4) Because he can't risk altering Blackmoor's own time period within its 1000 year rise to glory, the Fetch is restricted to gathering people who won't be missed. He targets mostly folks who are on the brink of destruction, saving them from almost certain death. By removing people from their own timeline in this way he minimizes the impact that their disappearance will have on Blackmoor's future... however extracting such folks is extremely dangerous work in itself (hence the need for brave adventurers to perform such heroics).

5) Just before Blackmoor is destroyed, the Fetch and his Comeback Institute will use the Comeback Inn to journey far into Mystara's future and create a beachhead for New Blackmoor. Mystara's history is not altered in any meaningful way, and now the "modern era" (circa AC 1000) has a new threat to deal with. :twisted:
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:41 pm

Havard wrote:The Egg is of course a Cthulhu-ish servitor of the Outer Beings. Imagine a Megacorporation controlled by something like that. Wolfram & Hart times 2000.
Could he be a Neh-Thalggu?

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:57 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Havard wrote:The Egg is of course a Cthulhu-ish servitor of the Outer Beings. Imagine a Megacorporation controlled by something like that. Wolfram & Hart times 2000.
I'd say he could be served by Neh-Thalggu... but I would make the Egg itself more akin to something of "demi-god" status at least.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:58 pm

Chimpman wrote:
ripvanwormer wrote:
I'd say he could be served by Neh-Thalggu... but I would make the Egg itself more akin to something of "demi-god" status at least.
Agreed. Defining the Egg too much takes away a bit of the mystery. There are several theories presented in the FFC.

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Blacky the Blackball
Storm Giant

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:51 am

Elvith Jars wrote:Personally I think you could blend the esoteric forces of magic with modern technology quite well. Take the Blackmoor Space Agency for instance. You could make a permanent heat metal enchantment on some metal rods, dunk them in water, hook up some steam turbines and alternators, and you have a non-nuclear generator. Hose those rods down with liquid hydrogen in a combustion chamber, and you have a nuclear thermal rocket without the radiation. You could combine the generator with the engine since your rods will be continually hot, and then augment the engine with liquid oxygen (kind of like an afterburner), and now you've got serious thrust. Enchant your spacecraft with levitate, and you won't need to achieve orbital velocity to balance out the acceleration due to gravity (effectively "falling" around the planet as we do in the real world). You'd still need to achieve escape velocity, but that's no biggie with constant thrust.

Add a decantur of endless water or a gate to the elemental plane of water that can keep up with the fuel flow rate, and you won't need massively huge fuel tanks. Your ISP (basically your fuel consumption rate) will suffer if you use water instead of LH2, but so what, you have an endless supply of the stuff. Modern computer technology will be helpful to calculate orbits and fly the spacecraft on autopilot.

Enchant the crew areas with Endure Elements, then add in a purify air enchantment, and you've got the basics of life support. Create food and water scrolls gives you a compact food supply. If you want to, you could petrify the crew for the long interplanetary trips so that they don't age and don't take up supplies and don't get cabin fever. Then you could create some warforged or golems or elementals to revive the crew at their destination, and they don't have to be smart enough to fly the ship; the ship's computers can do it for them.

With just a few simple spells and enchantments, and you've got yourself a single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft capable of interplanetary flight.
If you want interstellar flight, you can either have a "jump drive" that is basically the ship's computer doing the astronavigation calculations and then speaking the command words to activate a teleport item to teleport the ship to the co-ordinates that it has calculated.

Or a "hyperspace drive" that is similar but does a plane shift to the astral, flies through the astral to the point relative to its desired destination, and then plane shifts back to the prime material.

Actually, if you add in the various "create XXX" spells for replicators, detection spells for tricorders, teleportation spells for transport, disintegrate spells for phasers, and so forth, you can pretty much do most of Star Trek's technology as a magitech campaign...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 pm

This thread is full of awesome!

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:This thread is full of awesome!
I totally agree and thanks for bumping it TAD, I need to come back through and comb it for nuggets again.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:12 am

I thought about the idea of a BLACKMOOR TIMES...I think you will find 'THE BLACKMOOR TEMPORAL' more of an awesome newspaper/blog title. Now all we need do is submit adventure ideas as blog entries:

Code: Select all

TITLE TAG: BLACKLORE
1834 – 4 – 25 B.Y.
For the first time in Millennia, a star ship orbits our world. The Blackmoor Space Agency Star ship (BSAS) Beagle II orbits overhead, standing ready to enter the history books by crossing the great void between star systems, reach Bork's Star (some wanted to call it Higara after a popular video game), and attempt to contact the Galactic Federation.
This incredible journey wouldn't be possible without Beagletech combined with wizardry. Looking like a giant jellyfish, a large shield protects the BSAS Beagle II from interstellar dust while mass reduction enchantments reduce impact effects. Magical thermal rockets built into the shield's backside provide thrust and generate electricity while a thick cable with the star ship’s modified space station modules and interplanetary shuttles trail behind.
Though the Beagle's FTL drive remains a mystery and unavailable to the Beagle II, mass effect rituals make it possible to accelerate the BSAS Beagle II up to 1.1% of light speed but it'll still take four centuries to reach Bork's Star. While the crew of 125 Humans, Elves, Gnomes, Orcs and Rakasta rest in Petrisleep, a crew of golems and D-Bots will guard their precious cargo...

Code: Select all

TITLE TAG: BLACKMOORCITY
1814 – 4 – 24 B.Y.
Whistleblowers at INMARTECH have unveiled yet another scandal. Apparently the Technology cartel that developed and built the BSAS Beagle II has been financing a research project to develop a Dragon-Human Hybrid.
This project has links to the birth of those deformed children last year in the Inner City Healing Centre. It looks as though it wasn’t something in the drinking water after all. The BLAKCMOOR TEMPORAL has asked ICHC and INMARTECH for their views on the matter but they have both refused to comment.
 Investigations are ongoing...

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 am

Havard wrote: 970 years have passed since the spaceship crashed near King Uther's Blackmoor. The lore brought back from the City of the Gods allow the Wizards to Blackmoor, working with dwarves and Gnomes to speed up the technological advancement at a meteoric rate.
I'm happy I stumbled on this awesome thread, but I can see some timing inconsistency that you may be able to explain better: I think that one millennium between the crash landing of the spaceship and Blackmoor developement of space flight is a bit too much time.

If you think about the world your real feet are walking on, during last millennium had a major technological rise (not much below the Blackmoorian), without (allegedly) availability of spaceships technology to reverse engineer, without the extra-long life semi-human sages and scholars and without the magical helping hand.
After all, Blackmoor's advancement rate is not so meteoric and not so impressive as it might have been.

What do you think?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

I'd say the extra long lifespans is a hindrance to technological advancement. The pattern of history has been that scientific consensus tends to advance most when greybeards set in their opinions die off. With longer-lived generations, that will take longer.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Well, there are a couple of other consideration to throw into the mix as well.

1) There is probably some time between when the ship crashed, and when the Blackmoorians finally acquired full access to its secrets. Superstitions (coupled with still active defenses of the ship) could have kept folks away for quite some time.

2) There were survivors on the ship, that may not have wanted the locals to acquire said technology. Saint Stephen and his cult of the frog are just one example of those survivors.

3) (In the Mystaran version) magic and technology don't mix well. This is what most speculate led to the Great Rain of Fire. So there might have been some difficulties in getting the straight technology to work at all in a magic filled world. The Blackmoorians not only had to reverse engineer what they found, but they had to modify it to work with magic.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:44 pm

In addition to what Chimpman says above, keep in mind that the Men of Blackmoor never had access to the actual space ship. While many technological artifacts were sold off by shady crew members, the ship itself was eventually destroyed by Rheddrian Benekander (as detailed in WotI).

The main problem with having Blackmoor go too far into space exploration is that once they could have self sustainable off world bases then the Great Rain of Fire would not be able to destroy the Blackmoor Civilization...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Havard wrote:The main problem with having Blackmoor go too far into space exploration is that once they could have self sustainable off world bases then the Great Rain of Fire would not be able to destroy the Blackmoor Civilization...
Ahh... but Havard it didn't :twisted: It just destroyed in the Mystaraspace sphere ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Havard wrote:The main problem with having Blackmoor go too far into space exploration is that once they could have self sustainable off world bases then the Great Rain of Fire would not be able to destroy the Blackmoor Civilization...
Ahh... but Havard it didn't :twisted: It just destroyed in the Mystaraspace sphere ;)
:cool:

Yep, I could see some long range expeditions if you want to have them. Maybe you could have something like a Battlestar Galactica type scenario where a ship, or a small fleet survives and learning the reports of the destruction back on the home planet (Mystara) simply decides to leave for another homeworld far across the stars...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Chimpman wrote:2) There were survivors on the ship, that may not have wanted the locals to acquire said technology. Saint Stephen and his cult of the frog are just one example of those survivors.
Ogdoban Treel is the example for exactly the opposite behaviour... ;)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:29 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Chimpman wrote:2) There were survivors on the ship, that may not have wanted the locals to acquire said technology. Saint Stephen and his cult of the frog are just one example of those survivors.
Was St. Stephen trying to keep the locals from getting the technology? Or was he more interested in maintaining control over its dissemination? He certainly shared enough of the technology with the Cult of the Frog to enable him and his crewmates to take over, and his end goal was world domination and eventual rebuilding of the Federation technologies on Mystara (as opposed to Rocklin battening the hatches and hunkering down until a rescue crew arrived).

Purely hypothetical thought: What if one or more of the crew members of the Beagle accessed the Comeback Inn and traveled back into the (even more distant) past, managed to get off-world and rebuild, founding a new technological civilization... that eventually becomes the Galactic Federation!! :twisted:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Yaztromo wrote:
Exactly right... which could be an argument in favor of a more rapid Blackmoorian technological revolution.

On the other hand, those other considerations still apply. If Ogdoban (or someone similar) disseminates Fed tech to native populations that doesn't work (or might backfire) because of the influence of magic, then that might actually make folks more distrusting of said technology and thus slow down its acceptance. Nobody wants to drive a car that has a 10% chance of exploding every time you turn on the ignition ;)
Cthulhudrew wrote:Was St. Stephen trying to keep the locals from getting the technology? Or was he more interested in maintaining control over its dissemination? He certainly shared enough of the technology with the Cult of the Frog to enable him and his crewmates to take over, and his end goal was world domination and eventual rebuilding of the Federation technologies on Mystara (as opposed to Rocklin battening the hatches and hunkering down until a rescue crew arrived).
Stephen was more about furthering his own agendas than anything else. I don't think he would have helped (directly) with furthering the acceptance of Fed tech in Blackmoor society. On the other hand he might have actually helped indirectly, as adventurers/mercenaries/military would have seen the usefulness of getting their hands on equivalent tech in order to fight St. Stephen and his Frog Cult.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 01, 2016 4:42 pm

Did you ever sort out how to do this Havard?

I know that you like Star Wars. Maybe you could dump the most obvious elements of Star Wars and use the more generic parts.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun May 01, 2016 5:29 pm

I love when Big Mac plays at thread necromancy :)
Havard wrote:In addition to what Chimpman says above, keep in mind that the Men of Blackmoor never had access to the actual space ship. While many technological artifacts were sold off by shady crew members, the ship itself was eventually destroyed by Rheddrian Benekander (as detailed in WotI).

The main problem with having Blackmoor go too far into space exploration is that once they could have self sustainable off world bases then the Great Rain of Fire would not be able to destroy the Blackmoor Civilization...

-Havard
Imagine, for instance, if the Men of Blackmoor found a way to get to M-Mars, and found that the Beagle-tech worked much, much better than it did on Mystara, M-Mars having a much weaker (some would say 'non-existant') magical field. They lose contact with with the Empire, and watch through far-seers as the planet is bathed in fire, tipping on its axis. Cut off from the source of their magitech, they have to make do with what they've got, tinkering and repairing and rebuilding with more and more technological elements than magical.

How long would it take them to be able to return to their homeworld? A hundred years? A thousand? Three thousand? How would the M-Martians' culture differ from 'current day' Mystarans? What if they decide that they want to take their rightful homeworld back from these 'backwards' savages that infest it now? :twisted:

Hmm.... M-War of the World, anyone....? :D
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 09, 2016 7:22 pm

RobJN wrote:I love when Big Mac plays at thread necromancy :)
Sorry. I missed the memo, when this topic was posted. I'm trying to catch up on all the interesting things I missed.
RobJN wrote:
Havard wrote:In addition to what Chimpman says above, keep in mind that the Men of Blackmoor never had access to the actual space ship. While many technological artifacts were sold off by shady crew members, the ship itself was eventually destroyed by Rheddrian Benekander (as detailed in WotI).

Imagine, for instance, if the Men of Blackmoor found a way to get to M-Mars, and found that the Beagle-tech worked much, much better than it did on Mystara, M-Mars having a much weaker (some would say 'non-existant') magical field. They lose contact with with the Empire, and watch through far-seers as the planet is bathed in fire, tipping on its axis. Cut off from the source of their magitech, they have to make do with what they've got, tinkering and repairing and rebuilding with more and more technological elements than magical.

How long would it take them to be able to return to their homeworld? A hundred years? A thousand? Three thousand? How would the M-Martians' culture differ from 'current day' Mystarans? What if they decide that they want to take their rightful homeworld back from these 'backwards' savages that infest it now? :twisted:

Hmm.... M-War of the World, anyone....? :D
I've seen some stuff (it might have been 4e stuff or 3e stuff) that pretty much turns the Spelljammer concept on it's head and uses the big SJ factions as "horrid things from space" (with no more to it, than that). Maybe it would be possible to build upon the crashed spaceship thing, without creating a fantasy Blackmoorspace crystal sphere.

Perhaps Night of the Comet should be on your reading list.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon May 09, 2016 8:12 pm

Big Mac wrote: I've seen some stuff (it might have been 4e stuff or 3e stuff) that pretty much turns the Spelljammer concept on it's head and uses the big SJ factions as "horrid things from space" (with no more to it, than that). Maybe it would be possible to build upon the crashed spaceship thing, without creating a fantasy Blackmoorspace crystal sphere.

Perhaps Night of the Comet should be on your reading list.
I was thinking more along the lines of tripod-walkers and death-rays than "engrossing coming-of-age tale that deftly conveys the hopes and heartaches of adolescence, and the unfulfilled dreams that divide a family, played out against the backdrop of a small southern town in 1973" or courtship comedy featuring Bostock and Harris. But I could do coming-of-age courtship comedy. There was that one time that Leansethar promised her sister's hand in marriage to the first froglin to bring her a gift truly befitting the would-be queen of the Dismal Swamps....
Rob

Return to “d20 Modern”