Sunless Citadel Adaptation: Anuire

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderators: agathokles, Idabrius

Sunless Citadel Adaptation: Anuire

Postby Harbinger-of-Doom » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Hey folks-

In my blog, Harbinger of Doom, I've just completed an adaptation of the Sunless Citadel (specifically from the version in Tales from the Yawning Portal), placing it in the Spiderfell. Assuming I have time and energy, I eventually plan adaptations for the other four regions of Cerilia as well, pretty much just using Sunless Citadel as a backbone. I hope you'll take a look and let me know what you think!
Harbinger-of-Doom
Goblin

Re: Sunless Citadel Adaptation: Anuire

Postby Marco Fossati » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:21 am

Isn't the sunless citadel in an area of hills and mountains?
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Harbinger-of-Doom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Nominally, yes, but since none of the adventure takes place outside of the Sunless Citadel, I don't feel like it is important to keep it there. Relocating to a deep forest shouldn't affect much beyond window-dressing and encounters-en-route that are outside the scope of the adventure anyway.
Harbinger-of-Doom
Goblin

Postby Marco Fossati » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Harbinger-of-Doom wrote:Nominally, yes, but since none of the adventure takes place outside of the Sunless Citadel, I don't feel like it is important to keep it there. Relocating to a deep forest shouldn't affect much beyond window-dressing and encounters-en-route that are outside the scope of the adventure anyway.

You're right.

Maybe you could settle the adventure in areas with forested mountains, such as the Seamist Mountains
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Harbinger-of-Doom » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:39 pm

Since I have grand ambitions of four more Birthright adaptations, and many of those regions are well-endowed with forested mountains, you're super likely to get that next time!

For the specific case of the Anuirean version, I have to hope that getting the PCs entangled (ha ha) with the Spider at early levels is cool enough to justify the things I glossed over. =)
Harbinger-of-Doom
Goblin

Postby Marco Fossati » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Spiderfells are a good area to explore for party of any level.

For low level party maybe Erebannien is maybe slightly more suitable
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:43 am

I really liked this. I learned several tidbits about Birthright simply by reading your conversion. For example, I had no idea it had a limited variety of non-unique monsters. I look forward to seeing how this adventure fits into the next setting.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Marco Fossati » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:55 pm

I liked a lot the use of a phase spider instead of the young white dragon. As you wrote, Dragons in Cerilia are very very rare and very old.
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Harbinger-of-Doom » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:32 pm

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Tim! I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that Birthright is the lowest-fantasy setting TSR ever published (not having read all of them, feel free to correct me here), and while you CAN have marauding monsters, the setting's default state steers away from monsters-in-large-numbers other than the "classic" array of humanoids - goblinoids, gnolls, and orogs.

Also, Marco, I'm glad the phase spider idea works for you - figuring out what the hell to do about that wyrmling gave me fits. ;)
Harbinger-of-Doom
Goblin

Postby Marco Fossati » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:49 am

Harbinger-of-Doom wrote:I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Tim! I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that Birthright is the lowest-fantasy setting TSR ever published (not having read all of them, feel free to correct me here), and while you CAN have marauding monsters, the setting's default state steers away from monsters-in-large-numbers other than the "classic" array of humanoids - goblinoids, gnolls, and orogs.

IIRC Lankhmar is also very low magic.

The Big problem when adapting Birthright to 5e is that it's a setting where "magic is very rare but very powerful" (realm spells, blood abilities) which doesn't work well with 5e where magic is assumed to be fairly common (all classes but barbarian can have access to some kind of magic)
Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Postby Harbinger-of-Doom » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

That's a point that Marsupialmancer went a few rounds with in his adaptation, for sure. I would say that even in 2e BR, magic was never that rare in the hands of the PCs, because magic items, blood abilities, and realm spells tended to concentrate in their hands. I mean, every PC could be blooded if they wanted, and that's just an element of inclusion in the campaign. That's fine! The low-magic presentation of BR is (I would suggest) mostly in what is available to NPCs, and it couldn't be more trivial to stop NPCs from taking classes or subclasses inappropriate to the low-magic feel. It's not the default for 5e encounter-building, but that doesn't mean it can't work. The DM is under no obligation to include NPC Eldritch Knights, sorcerers, Arcane Tricksters, monks, and so on, while the PCs have the bloodlines needed to support more magic.

There are some knock-on effects, of course - greatly reducing the number of encounters that include spell effects targeting the PCs means that high AC matters more than high save bonuses. Narrowing the creature types that you'll actually encounter has an array of fairly subtle effects.

Personally, if I were to run a BR campaign that was anything other than a single-domain political drama (basically fantasy West Wing), I would emphasize the emergence of sorcery and warlock patrons increasing the accessibility of magic in the world, just to make encounter-building more diverse. =)
Harbinger-of-Doom
Goblin

Return to Birthright