Birthright Battle Cards System

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderators: Idabrius, agathokles

Birthright Battle Cards System

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:56 am

How did the Mass Combat System from Birthright work? What do you like/dislike about it? Would it be possible to use it with a different edition than AD&D 2nd Edition?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Birthright Battle Cards System

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:06 pm

Yes, it is almost completely independent of the specific edition. On the down side, you have to make up the unit stats from scratches, as there is no direct conversion. Units have several stats (going from memory, at least move, hp, melee, charge, missile, morale), all in a small range of values (1 to 3-5, depending on the specific stat).
The only element where AD&D comes in is the effect of spells, but spells that can be used in battle are generally similar in most editions (at least from BECMI to 3E).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby The Dark » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Dragon Annual #2 had an article for converting between BattleSystem and War Cards (entitled "Cry Havoc"), so there was a conversion method from AD&D stats to War Cards stats through BattleSystem. It should be possible to use the 2e to 3e conversion document in reverse to essentially go 3e -> 2e -> BS -> WC, but since there's a bit of wiggle room at each stage of that conversion, two people could get quite different WC stats for the same unit because of the variability in the conversions.

One thing I disliked was that the battle map felt too big if there were only 1 or 2 cards per side and too small if there were any more; maneuver on the battlefield was minimized. For most adventuring parties, I actually prefer the Skirmish system from the back of the Birthright rulebook, which relied on HP, AC, and THAC0 and used units of 20 creatures instead of 200.
The Dark
Troll

Postby agathokles » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 pm

The Dark wrote:One thing I disliked was that the battle map felt too big if there were only 1 or 2 cards per side and too small if there were any more; maneuver on the battlefield was minimized. For most adventuring parties, I actually prefer the Skirmish system from the back of the Birthright rulebook, which relied on HP, AC, and THAC0 and used units of 20 creatures instead of 200.

For 1-2 units per side, it is likely better to use the Skirmish system, indeed. For larger battles, it is not such an attractive options as you'd have more than 40 attacks per round to handle...

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to Birthright