[vapourware] Birthright Campaign Setting 2nd Edition

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderators: Idabrius, agathokles

[vapourware] Birthright Campaign Setting 2nd Edition

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 pm

I just found out there was going to be a second version of the Birthright Campaign Setting.

Does anyone know what the reason for a new version of the BCS was?

Was there going to be a timejump and a new era of the world?

Were they going to reboot the setting and use the new product to change how the world works?

Was there some sort of perceived flaw with the original campaign setting product, that they were going to "fix" with a replacement?

Was the new setting going to expand the map?

Or was there another reason, that I've not thought about?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [vapourware] Birthright Campaign Setting 2nd Edition

Postby Morfie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:05 am

I read this as Birthright for 2nd Edition AD&D before realising it was already at 2e, and you meant a 2nd edition of Birthright itself.

Do you know when the new edition was due?

Given TSR policies of the 90's, it is almost certain there would be a time jump.
It could possibly be like what they did for Dark Sun, where it was timejumped and expanded.
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Big Mac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Birthright.net just lists it as unpublished on it's Birthright publication article. It does provide the product code (TSR #3100N) which seems to be the older code with "N" added. It also says it is a hardback. Maybe this was a similar concept to the Council of Wyrms hardback (which replaced the original boxed set and pulled in a few magazine articles).

I also see this on the new version of TSR Archive, without an actual date.

This Tripod website (with an annoying video advert) claims that 3100N was due to be published in 1998.

That's about as far as I have got so far.

Does anyone have any product catalogues for 1998? Does anyone have access to the books used to market D&D to retailers? Some of them used to have statements explaining to shopkeepers, why they should buy a particular product (and where it fit into the product line).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:25 pm

Big Mac wrote:Birthright.net just lists it as unpublished on it's Birthright publication article. It does provide the product code (TSR #3100N) which seems to be the older code with "N" added. It also says it is a hardback. Maybe this was a similar concept to the Council of Wyrms hardback (which replaced the original boxed set and pulled in a few magazine articles).
TSR also re-released the AD&D 2E Ravenloft setting as a hardcover, so perhaps their goal was to re-release as many settings as they could as hardcovers.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Return to Birthright