Anyone done a Birthright Timeline?

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Anyone done a Birthright Timeline?

Post by Spellweaver » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi there,

Long-time player of a lot of rpgs, but haven't touched the Birthright Setting in almost 20 years. Now my group has returned to it and I am DM'ing a new campaign, so I turned to this setting out of interest and looking for a little bit of help ;)

Specifically, I am curious about a timeline of the most recent 100-200 years of Anuire, because I am finding some of the references in the Ruins of the Empire and Atlas of Cerilia source books kinda screwy.

Points in question:
- Diemed is said to have ruled Medoere and Roesone - but Roesone is said to have formed out of near-wilderness from bandits uniting under Daen Roesone 80 years ago?

- Medoere gained some kind of independence from Dimed "a century ago" from Diemed "weakened by the recent loss of Roesone" - but Roesone is only 80 years old??

- Daen Roesone formed Roesone 80 years ago, then ruled for 4 decades, while defending against Diemed. Then his son Morghar killed him and took over. And in the last 40 year, Roesone has been ruled by Morghar, his son and then now his granddaughter? Isn't that a bit weird to go through 3 generations in the same time space as Daen ruled all by himself?

If any of you have toyed around with the Diemed / Medoere / Roesone timeline or other campaign related matters, I'd like to hear about them as well :)

Thanks!
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

The Dark
Troll

Re: Anyone done a Birthright Timeline?

Post by The Dark » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:39 am

Spellweaver wrote:- Daen Roesone formed Roesone 80 years ago, then ruled for 4 decades, while defending against Diemed. Then his son Morghar killed him and took over. And in the last 40 year, Roesone has been ruled by Morghar, his son and then now his granddaughter? Isn't that a bit weird to go through 3 generations in the same time space as Daen ruled all by himself?
Henry III ruled for 56 years. Edward I and Edward II ruled for 55 years combined, so England had something similar in the 1200s-1300s. Edward III ruled 50 years. Richard II, Henry IV, and Henry V ruled for a combined 45 years. George III ruled for 60 years. George IV and William IV combined for 17 years before Victoria took the throne. She ruled for 64 years. In the next 64 years, England was ruled by Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI, and Elizabeth II, who still reigns.

Spellweaver
Hill Giant

Post by Spellweaver » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:15 am

Thanks for the info. I guess not all regents are equally long-lived :)
My fan-stuff over the years at the Vault of Pandius.

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:01 am

It quite often happens that after a strong ruler you have a rapid succession of weaker ones.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:35 am

And a long-lived ruler often leaves the throne to elderly children, who naturally aren't going to be able to reign as long because they began their reigns so much later in life.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Spellweaver wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess not all regents are equally long-lived :)
Depends on what events affect the kingdom, and the overall health of the monarch. War and disease can cut a monarch's reign short, while a monarch who takes the throne at an early age (due to the premature death of the ruling parent(s)) may result in a very long reign. IIRC, in ancient Egypt Ramses outlived most, if not all, of his sons and a few of his grandkids, too.

Toss in potions of longevity and other age-lengthening magic and I could see a human monarch lasting well over a century on the throne.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:13 am

night_druid wrote:
Spellweaver wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess not all regents are equally long-lived :)
Depends on what events affect the kingdom, and the overall health of the monarch. War and disease can cut a monarch's reign short, while a monarch who takes the throne at an early age (due to the premature death of the ruling parent(s)) may result in a very long reign. IIRC, in ancient Egypt Ramses outlived most, if not all, of his sons and a few of his grandkids, too.

Toss in potions of longevity and other age-lengthening magic and I could see a human monarch lasting well over a century on the throne.
Yeah, Ramses II ruled for around 76 years, from roughly age 14 to age 90, the first ten years as Prince Regent before becoming Pharaoh on the death of Seti I. His heir was his thirteenth son (out of around 50), Merneptah, because the first twelve had all died. Merneptah was near 60 when he took the throne, and died about 10 years later, while his son Seti II ruled for 5 years and 10 months.

Back in 2015, Jeff Rients did up a table on his blog using historical reign lengths in Wessex/England and 1e demi-human lifespans to figure how long a ruler of a particular race reigned.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 am

Many thins can affect the length of rulership, among the others wars, rebellions, family feuds, plague, and pure accidents.

The stabler is the realm the longer is the reign, usually, but there are many exceptions too.

Often the founder of a dinasty/realm has high abilities and wide respect which grant him/her a very long reign.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:06 am

The Dark wrote:
Spellweaver wrote:- Daen Roesone formed Roesone 80 years ago, then ruled for 4 decades, while defending against Diemed. Then his son Morghar killed him and took over. And in the last 40 year, Roesone has been ruled by Morghar, his son and then now his granddaughter? Isn't that a bit weird to go through 3 generations in the same time space as Daen ruled all by himself?
Henry III ruled for 56 years. Edward I and Edward II ruled for 55 years combined, so England had something similar in the 1200s-1300s. Edward III ruled 50 years. Richard II, Henry IV, and Henry V ruled for a combined 45 years. George III ruled for 60 years. George IV and William IV combined for 17 years before Victoria took the throne. She ruled for 64 years. In the next 64 years, England was ruled by Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI, and Elizabeth II, who still reigns.
I'm not so sure you can get meaningful data from modern British monarchs.

The last British monarch to die in battle was Richard III, who was killed by Henry VII at the end of the War of the Roses.

We did have the Civil War, where Charles I was murdered by Cromwell, after a show trial, but after the restoration, Charles II and the monarchs who lived after him have pretty much been figureheads. There are not any other would be kings and queens trying to murder them.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:25 am

Big Mac wrote:
The Dark wrote:
I'm not so sure you can get meaningful data from modern British monarchs.
True, but the first example was Henry III (r. 1216-1272), which isn't precisely modern. Edward III ruled from 1327-1377 after leading a coup against Roger Mortimer, the lover of Edward's mother Isabella. Victoria on is certainly modern, but from 1200-1450 the British throne had a long-ruling king, two short-ruling kings, a long-ruling king, and three short-ruling kings. Going slightly later, you have Henry VIII (38 years, 1509-1547) followed by Edward VI (6 years), Jane (the Nine Days Queen), and Mary I (5 years) before having a long-reigning queen in Elizabeth I (45 years).
The last British monarch to die in battle was Richard III, who was killed by Henry VII at the end of the War of the Roses.

We did have the Civil War, where Charles I was murdered by Cromwell, after a show trial, but after the restoration, Charles II and the monarchs who lived after him have pretty much been figureheads. There are not any other would be kings and queens trying to murder them.
With the notable exception of the Monmouth Rebellion where Charles II's bastard son the Duke of Monmouth tried to overthrow James II. And the Battle of the Boyne, where William of Orange fought James II. And Lord Mar's Revolt when the Old Pretender attempted to overthrow George I. And the Young Pretender's invasion to overthrow George II. And the other Jacobite uprisings (six in total between 1689 and 1745).

Return to “Birthright”