Quintessential Birthright themes for a One-Shot High Level Adventure

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Quintessential Birthright themes for a One-Shot High Level Adventure

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi Everyone!

I need advice for my next campaign adventures. I plan to make my players travel through different campaign settings of D&D, as they search for the pieces of the rod of the seven parts, to prevent the end of the multiverse.

My players have passed through Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms settings, and I have the spelljamer adventure ready to go, but I intend to also take them through the worlds of Birthright, Mystara and Eberron ( and I know very little about the last 3 settings).

So, I need ideas to make memorable and distinct adventures and encounter in the worlds of Birthright.

I don't know those settings well, so I need help to understand what makes these worlds unique? What characters, events, locations, metaplots, and source material are quintessential to the setting, and would help me make a one-shot "end of the world" adventure in the Birthright campaign setting?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: Quintessential Birthright themes for a One-Shot High Level Adventure

Post by agathokles » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:28 pm

That's not particularly easy to pull with Birthright, as its defining element is divine right -- and outsider PCs will not experience it, since they are not descendants of the warriors of the Battle of Deismar.
I'd focus the adventure on regent NPCs, possibly involved in some kind of war or border conflict.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Gabriel Jansen wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm
I need advice for my next campaign adventures. I plan to make my players travel through different campaign settings of D&D, as they search for the pieces of the rod of the seven parts, to prevent the end of the multiverse.
Are your players using the exact same PCs and going on some sort of Planewalking trip from world to world?

Or are you getting them to create different PCs or pregens for each different one-shot?

I ask because, if you have native Birthright PCs and a multiworld threat, that's going to feel different to non-native PCs who have come in and who are having a whistlestop adventure.
Gabriel Jansen wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm
My players have passed through Greyhawk, Dark Sun, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms settings, and I have the spelljamer adventure ready to go, but I intend to also take them through the worlds of Birthright, Mystara and Eberron ( and I know very little about the last 3 settings).

So, I need ideas to make memorable and distinct adventures and encounter in the worlds of Birthright.

I don't know those settings well, so I need help to understand what makes these worlds unique? What characters, events, locations, metaplots, and source material are quintessential to the setting, and would help me make a one-shot "end of the world" adventure in the Birthright campaign setting?
My Birthright-fu is probably as weak as yours is, if not more so, so I can only really offer generic advice here.

Have you thought about how you are going to send parts of the Rod to the world of Birthright (or create rumors that part of it has been sent to Birthright's world)?

Have you thought about how the PCs are going to discover this and then travel to Birthright from wherever they are before this one-shot?

If you can come up with some sort linking mechanism (maybe an NPC from Birthright who used Planewalking to go somewhere else) you could use them to give the PCs some of the clues that make them want to travel to Birthright and seek out some specific Birthright person or place that they then think might be connected to the Rod.

Maybe, if others can give you some good Birthright ideas, you can foreshadow them on another world and have an ex-Birthright NPC recognise those things as things that have followed them from their homeworld.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 am

The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are actually a good fit for being the ancestors of the now extinct cloud giants on Birthright. So a cloud giant tomb in a remote location in the mountains of Rjurik or Vosgaard would be a good idea. The cloud giant tomb would be built over the wind duke tomb, giving you at least two dungeon levels. The wind duke's tomb would hold the rod piece.

I recommend picking up King of the Giantdowns for an example tomb of the cloud giants.

Delazar78
Orc

Post by Delazar78 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 pm

Birthright is all about ruling a domain, which I guess it's not really what you're looking for in a "one shot". So I guess you should settle for the next best thing... MASS COMBAT!

Is a bit of time travel allowed in this planar-hopping campaign? Because I would put them smack in the middle of the fateful battle during which the Gorgon slaughtered Michael Roele.

Imagine if you will Isildur against Sauron, only Isildur gets cut in two...

Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Are your players using the exact same PCs and going on some sort of Planewalking trip from world to world?

Or are you getting them to create different PCs or pregens for each different one-shot?

I ask because, if you have native Birthright PCs and a multiworld threat, that's going to feel different to non-native PCs who have come in and who are having a whistlestop adventure.
My players are originally from Ravenloft. After a prophecy, the demiplane of dread ceased to exist, and they ended up in Sigil, in Planescape. Now they are working for the Lady of Pain, and she is moving them from location to location to restore the rod of seven parts, and prevent the destruction of the multiverse.

Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:47 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:14 am
The Wind Dukes of Aaqa are actually a good fit for being the ancestors of the now extinct cloud giants on Birthright. So a cloud giant tomb in a remote location in the mountains of Rjurik or Vosgaard would be a good idea. The cloud giant tomb would be built over the wind duke tomb, giving you at least two dungeon levels. The wind duke's tomb would hold the rod piece.

I recommend picking up King of the Giantdowns for an example tomb of the cloud giants.
Great idea. Didn't know that the Duques of Aaqa were related to the Clound Giants. I'll try to get the King of the Giantdowns! Thanks

Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Delazar78 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:46 pm
Birthright is all about ruling a domain, which I guess it's not really what you're looking for in a "one shot". So I guess you should settle for the next best thing... MASS COMBAT!

Is a bit of time travel allowed in this planar-hopping campaign? Because I would put them smack in the middle of the fateful battle during which the Gorgon slaughtered Michael Roele.

Imagine if you will Isildur against Sauron, only Isildur gets cut in two...
MASS COMBAT seems essential to this setting. I would certainly bring that to the table. By the way, how do you handle mass combat?

Do you insert your players in the middle of a massive army battle or put them to command units?.

Do you know any rules for this kind of mass combat? Do you approach these scenes in detail, with the characters facing enemies individually, or do you create some other kind of description and actions to give the players a chance to participate in the army battle?

As to the battle between Michael Roele and the Gorgon, that's a great idea. Even if not with Michael Roele and time travel, a great army battle and a showdown with the Gorgon would be very interesting.

Gabriel Jansen
Goblin

Post by Gabriel Jansen » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:06 pm

So, after a little bit of research, I found out a few elements and concepts that I believe are quintessential to the setting.

Divine rule
The Shadow World
Mass Combat
Kingdom Rulership
Blood Theft
The Abominations (ansheilleing or something like that)

I plan to put most of these elements in some form in my one-shot adventure. What do you guys think? Do you think of another element that is quintessential to the setting?

Return to “Birthright”