How do ley lines work in gameplay?

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

How do ley lines work in gameplay?

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:49 pm

I just saw on Birthright Wiki that a Regent Mage can use ley lines. These seem to work differently to real-world ley lines according to Birthright.net. It seems that a Birthright ley line is made by a Regent Mage going somewhere and thinking for a bit to create a link.

Rules aside, how do these ley lines work out in gameplay?

It seems that nobody except the Regent Mage is able to use the ley lines they create and that they all vanish when they die. Does that mean that nobody else can "hack into" a ley line to steal power?

Does each Regent Mage have an isolated network of ley lines? Or do they connect up or cross each other?

Is there any way for a group of players to disrupt or destroy a ley line?

Can people actually see or detect ley lines or is it purely a meta-concept to explain cities being linked up over time?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: How do ley lines work in gameplay?

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:53 am

Ley lines can be detected and disrupted. This takes the place of warfare for/against magicians.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm

agathokles wrote:Ley lines can be detected and disrupted. This takes the place of warfare for/against magicians.
Are there magic items and spells (specific to Birthright) for doing that sort of stuff?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Yes. These are mostly realm magic and domain actions, so they only apply within the Birthright extensions to AD&D 2e. I'd need to reread the books to get more specific.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:23 pm

agathokles wrote:Yes. These are mostly realm magic and domain actions, so they only apply within the Birthright extensions to AD&D 2e. I'd need to reread the books to get more specific.
Thanks GP.

I've always thought that ley lines were an interesting concept. It's a shame they are not used in more campaign settings.

From what you say, it would seem that that most people would have little to no interaction with the ley lines in Birthright.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:17 am

Big Mac wrote:I've always thought that ley lines were an interesting concept. It's a shame they are not used in more campaign settings.
Ley lines are used in Midgard but function differently than in Birthright.
Tarragonverse Index

Reading
Book/Novel: Back To The Future III novelization
RPG Reading: Sandy Petersen's Cthulhu Mythos

RPG Projects
Codename: Eternals (Pathfinder Kitbash, Multiple settings premise)
Codename: Trinity (One solar system with three inhabitated and Earth-like worlds in the Goldilocks zone / Codename: Eternals system, but none of the three worlds are connected to the Codename: Eternals setting)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've always thought that ley lines were an interesting concept. It's a shame they are not used in more campaign settings.
Ley lines are used in Midgard but function differently than in Birthright.
Thanks. I'll have to look that up.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:59 am

Big Mac wrote:
agathokles wrote:Yes. These are mostly realm magic and domain actions, so they only apply within the Birthright extensions to AD&D 2e. I'd need to reread the books to get more specific.
Thanks GP.

I've always thought that ley lines were an interesting concept. It's a shame they are not used in more campaign settings.

From what you say, it would seem that that most people would have little to no interaction with the ley lines in Birthright.
Exactly. Ley lines are only used by wizards to cast realm magic -- essentially, they serve to allow a wizard to cast spell from one province while leveraging a source from a different province. Since sources are more powerful in wilderness regions, ley lines serve to allow the casting of realm spells in settled areas, which is obviously a major concern for domain rulers and wizards that cooperate with them.

Overall, there are only a few mages able to use ley lines: those who control source holdings. Usually, these are human, elf or half-elf individuals (about 60 of them exist in Cerilia), although a dozen or so are awnshegh (people who physically manifest their bloodline by changing into monstrous forms), ehrshegh (the same, but for non-evil bloodlines) or even dragons (one or maybe two), and there are a few groups that control a source collectively (including a college of magic, a group of three brothers, a group of five court mages, and a temple of mage/priests). Thus, there is a total of less than 100 wizards who can tap ley lines in the entire continent.

GP

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:01 pm

ley lines are very importat for a wizard, since they allow them to cast powerful realm spells even in civilzed area, where source are less powerful than those in unsettled provinces.

They have a manteinance cost a turn to be active.

Book of Magecraft provides rules to help DMs keeping track of them.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:46 am

Marco Fossati wrote:ley lines are very importat for a wizard, since they allow them to cast powerful realm spells even in civilzed area, where source are less powerful than those in unsettled provinces.

They have a manteinance cost a turn to be active.

Book of Magecraft provides rules to help DMs keeping track of them.
Are there rules for player characters creating new ley lines in Book of Magecraft? Is it anything like the rule in CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook for clerics to create links between deities and crystal spheres where they have not formerly been worshipped? Do you need an established base to create one?

Return to “Birthright”