What is the Book of Priestcraft?

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

What is the Book of Priestcraft?

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 pm

The Aebrynis article on Birthright.net Wiki mentions a book called The Book of Priestcraft:
Aebrynis article on Birthright.net wrote:Aebrynis is an earth-like world with several continents including Cerilia, the default setting for a Birthright Campaign. Aebrynis's other known continents include Aduria and Djapar. The Book of Priestcraft does not state that that there is any one creation myth that is widely held to be true in the various religions found throughout Cerilia. DMs preparing to run a Birthright campaign are encouraged to devise their own creation myths if doing so will help to define their campaign.
I can't quite tell if this is canon or fanon or what.

There is an article for The Book of Priestcraft, but it it is empty.

Is this the name of one of the published D&D books for Birthright...or is it an in-character book that exists inside the campaign setting?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: What is the Book of Priestcraft?

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 pm

It's a splat book for the priest classes:
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Priestcraft ... 0786906553

I don't have it, though, so I can't provide more info.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:32 pm

agathokles wrote:It's a splat book for the priest classes:
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Priestcraft ... 0786906553

I don't have it, though, so I can't provide more info.
Thanks for your help.

(That would have made a great name for an in-character book.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Alzrius
Bugbear

Post by Alzrius » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:53 pm

I picked this up a while back; it's quite good. Something like just over half of the book is essentially a Faiths & Avatars take on the gods of Cerilia (though this doesn't include the dead deities, unfortunately). It also introduces new quest spells, roughly one for each deity.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Alzrius wrote:I picked this up a while back; it's quite good. Something like just over half of the book is essentially a Faiths & Avatars take on the gods of Cerilia (though this doesn't include the dead deities, unfortunately). It also introduces new quest spells, roughly one for each deity.
That sounds like it would be the sort of book that was useful to me.

I like books like Dragonlance's Holy Order's of the Stars, Forgotten Realms's Faiths and Pantheons and Eberron's Faiths of Eberron. I think they tell you a lot about the culture and how clerics work in the setting. It sounds like this book would fill the same role.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:27 pm

The Book of Priestcraft is one of the best Birthright books they produced. The details it gives on the gods of the world is fantastic. I highly recommend it.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Marco Fossati
Stone Giant

Post by Marco Fossati » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:09 am

In the book you find:

description of gods and specialty priests in a "Faith and Avatars" format

some new spells and realm spells for priests

a teching guide about how to use some domain action at full power for a priest

an interesting insight about some ways to transfer the rule of the land from one regent to another (succession, coronation, etc...) the most interesting is the Land's Choice

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:31 pm

Thanks. This is a bit too expensive for me to experiment with, at the moment, but I'm going to add it to my Birthright wishlist and look out for it dropping in price, or coming out on Print on Demand.

Return to “Birthright”