Birthright using Mythic Pathfinder

Across the ruined empires of Cerilia, the dogs of war are let loose. Somewhere on a muddy battlefield, a common man becomes a hero - and a hero becomes a king.

Moderator: agathokles

redking
Hobgoblin

Birthright using Mythic Pathfinder

Post by redking » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:09 am

It occurs to me that with a handful of minor alterations you could use mythic pathfinder for birthright with a few minor changes.

*Erase distinctions between mythic and non-mythic characters.
*A bloodline equals tier divided by 10. For example, a bloodline of 25 is tier 2.
*Characters must "grow" into their bloodline. For example, if couple with a bloodline of 100 each has a child, the child has a potential bloodline of 100 but at only 1HD has an actual bloodline of 10 (tier 1). If the child can one day reach 10HD the he will had a bloodline of 100. This not only maintains game balance, but also has the benefit of eliminating the baby murder scenarios that we have seen in optimization threads.

The paths might have to be changed a little, but that is no big deal.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: Birthright using Mythic Pathfinder

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:55 am

I'm not super familiar with Pathfinder's mythic rules, but this sounds like a fun idea. Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by eliminating the distinction between mythic and non-mythic characters? Is this because all PCs will be mythic? Or something else?

In your example with the child, how do you know that they can reach 10 hd? If they have the potential to reach level 20, wouldn't they have 20 hd? In that case, would the child only receive a new tier every other level? In other words, are you suggesting that the maximum bloodline is divided equally among the number of hit dice a character will receive? Why wouldn't this number be 20 in a Pathfinder game?

Thanks for sharing this suggestion!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Is this to convert Birthright to Pathfinder RPG rules, or are you talking about importing Pathfinder rules into a Birthright game? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 am

Big Mac wrote:Is this to convert Birthright to Pathfinder RPG rules, or are you talking about importing Pathfinder rules into a Birthright game? :?
I read it as using mythic Pathfinder to run Birthright (and thugs converting Birthright to Pathfinder).

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I'm not super familiar with Pathfinder's mythic rules, but this sounds like a fun idea. Could you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by eliminating the distinction between mythic and non-mythic characters? Is this because all PCs will be mythic? Or something else?
You can check out the mythic rules here.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic/

The reason why I say that there shouldn't be distinctions between mythic and non-mythic characters is that in Pathfinder Mythic sometimes it will say something like "if a spell by a non-mythic character is cast on a mythic character..." then give special rules for that. That would only be an annoyance in a Birthright game, and not be in the spirit of Birthright.
Tim Baker wrote:In your example with the child, how do you know that they can reach 10 hd? If they have the potential to reach level 20, wouldn't they have 20 hd? In that case, would the child only receive a new tier every other level? In other words, are you suggesting that the maximum bloodline is divided equally among the number of hit dice a character will receive? Why wouldn't this number be 20 in a Pathfinder game?
Characters don't often reach level 20 in the birthright campaign. My suggestion is to prevent the baby blood theft scenarios that used to be all over the internet. This scenario entails getting a baby with a high value bloodline, and then performing blood theft on them. You get the babies by breeding individuals of high value bloodlines like cattle. By limiting the effective bloodline to 10 per HD it prevents these types of optimization scenarios from happening. So lets say there is a descendant of Micheal Roele out there with a 100 score bloodline but is only 3HD, then his effective bloodline level for the purposes of ability and being subject to blood theft is 30 (but is still 100 for purposes of passing the bloodline to children). If he gets to 10HD his bloodline score will be 100. If this fellow was captured by an enemy when he was still 3HD but his potential bloodline strength was known, he may even be shown mercy because he would want this fellow to marry his daughter!
Tim Baker wrote:Thanks for sharing this suggestion!
My pleasure.

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:Is this to convert Birthright to Pathfinder RPG rules, or are you talking about importing Pathfinder rules into a Birthright game? :?
The mythic rules can be implemented in 3.5 as well as Pathfinder. If you were using 2nd Ed then there would be no reason to use mythic pathfinder.

The bloodline rules are a stumbling block for 3.x editions of the game. Mythic fits quite well with few modifications.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 am

Thanks for the additional information. This makes a lot of sense, and I really like the use of the Mythic rules to express the "epicness" of Birthright PCs.

Return to “Birthright”