[Ebunorun] The Western Realms of Alkebulan: An S&S Africa

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
JamesMishler
Ogre

[Ebunorun] The Western Realms of Alkebulan: An S&S Africa

Post by JamesMishler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:36 am

Here is the thread where I will detail my work on Ebunorun, the Western Realms of Alkebulan, a Sword & Soul campaign setting.

The name Ebunorun is derived from the Yoruba for "Gift of Heaven," which is what these lands are referred to by the most widespread religion of the region. In myth and legend, these lands were once the site of the Throne of God, where God and the orishas (lesser gods) lived while they created the rest of the world. When their job there was done, God and the orishas retreated back into Heaven. So lovely was the land where they had remained that the orishas debated over which of the peoples that they would place in the world would be worthy of such a gift. In that time many beasts of the land, hearing the heated arguments of the orishas, decided in their hubris that they, too, were worthy, and took the lands for their own, to defend against the humans that they felt would be interlopers...

The region of Ebunorun is equivalent to Western Africa, more or less, in an alternate world where magic prominently exists and history has passed differently than in our own world. Many of the peoples and situations there are similar to historical and real-world West Africa, but they are merely analogues, not the same thing. When I refer to the real world equivalent of a people, place, or thing of Ebunorun, I will use the prefix "E-" in order to enable the reader to know what the original inspiration was behind the people, place, or thing of Ebunorun. For example, the Ebunorun analogue of the Yoruba, the Adeniya, are the E-Yoruba; the Ebunorun equivalent of the Asante (Ashanti), the Ominira, are the E-Asante; and so forth.

Originally, I called the campaign region Nyumbani, borrowed from the works of Charles R. Saunders, the creator of the Sword & Soul genre. However, I decided that this was inappropriate as I was not merely borrowing, I was essentially stealing the name.

The name Alkebulan is applied to all of Africa; the name's origins are uncertain, though thought to be derived from Arabic.

The map of Alkebulan comes from the Africa Uncolonized map.

Many of the "Common Tongue" African words I use in this campaign are either Yoruba or derived from the Yoruba language due to historical events in this part of the world.

BASE ARTICLES
A Glossary of Ebunorun Terms and Names
Map of Ebunorun, the Western Lands of Alkebulan

Races
Arara (Dwarves) of Ebunorun (Labyrinth Lord)
Iwinrin ("Elves") of Ebunorun (Labyrinth Lord)

Classes

Special Rules

Equipment

Spells

Ebunorun Religion
In a previous era of Ebunorun, the Adeniya (E-Yoruba) religion and language gained a level of predominance, and as with Rome, many of the different orishas (gods) of the other local peoples (Akan abosom, Ewe vodun, Igbo alusi, etc.,) were syncretized with the Adeniya orishas (they are never referred to as loa, as word which was derived from the French). Local peoples have their own variants still, but the larger cities have temples organized to the syncretized gods.

Note: I am working with both Labyrinth Lord and 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons for this campaign.

Ebunorun Appendix N
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 1
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 2: The Quest for Cush
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 3: The Trail of Bohu
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 4: The Naama War
Last edited by JamesMishler on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:56 pm, edited 8 times in total.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Arara: Dwarves of Nyumbani

Post by JamesMishler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 am

Moved to own thread.
Last edited by JamesMishler on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Nyumbani, the Western Realms of Alkebulan

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 am

JamesMishler wrote:Here is the thread where I will detail my work on Nyumbani, the Western Realms of Alkebulan, a Sword & Soul campaign setting.

Nyumbani is equivalent to Western Africa, more or less, in an alternate world where magic prominently exists and history has passed differently than in our own world.
Thanks for putting this topic up. It looks more like a reference topic, so I'm going to try not to butt in with questions, but I think I could follow along and get some inspiration for Nyambe, Hepmonaland and/or Living Jungle.
JamesMishler wrote:Races
Arara (Dwarves) of Nyumbani (Labyrinth Lord)

Note: I am working with both Labyrinth Lord and 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons for this campaign.
Both of them? That's interesting. Are you running two games (with one using each system) or are you mixing and matching rules from both systems?

I wonder if I could use your Arara in a Spelljammer game. You can never have too many dwarven subraces for Spelljammer. :)
JamesMishler wrote:Nyumbani Appendix N
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 1
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 2: The Quest for Cush
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 3: The Trail of Bohu
Saunders, Charles R. Imaro 4: The Naama War
I've got one of the Imaro novels, but didn't realise there were four. They were quite tricky to get, last time I looked. I hope that Charles R. Saunders can get them put up as Print on Demand novels, if he can't get a publisher to do another print run.

Thanks for making an Appendix N. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Re: Nyumbani, the Western Realms of Alkebulan

Post by JamesMishler » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Big Mac wrote:Thanks for putting this topic up. It looks more like a reference topic, so I'm going to try not to butt in with questions, but I think I could follow along and get some inspiration for Nyambe, Hepmonaland and/or Living Jungle.
Thanks! This is the main thread where I will post rules stuff and keep a running link list to all the other posts., such as they may be.
JamesMishler wrote:Note: I am working with both Labyrinth Lord and 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons for this campaign.
Big Mac wrote:Both of them? That's interesting. Are you running two games (with one using each system) or are you mixing and matching rules from both systems?
Well, the group I am going to first run this with is all about Old School, so that is the focus; but I also want to develop this to be used with my other group, which is all about 5E. I figure if I work on things at about the same time, I'll be prepared for both occasions.
Big Mac wrote:I've got one of the Imaro novels, but didn't realise there were four. They were quite tricky to get, last time I looked. I hope that Charles R. Saunders can get them put up as Print on Demand novels, if he can't get a publisher to do another print run.

Thanks for making an Appendix N. :cool:
Finding ANY of the Sword & Soul books is a struggle. Most of them are available through the various websites of the small publishers. Amazon and eBay are also a good source.

Seethyr
Fire Giant

Re: [Nyumbani] The Western Realms of Alkebulan: An S&S Afric

Post by Seethyr » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 am

Considering I have no clue (or very little) what is in Forgotten Realm's African based continent Katashake, I will certainly be following this closely for inspiration.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Re: [Ebunorun] The Western Realms of Alkebulan: An S&S Afric

Post by shesheyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:55 am

Very interesting project. I read the first Imaro novel last year. It was a good counter point to the Conan omnibus I just read.
Currently playing : (player in) Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:49 am

I've never understood the "Tarzan" comparison for Imaro; he is totally an adventurer in the Conan style!

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 am

JamesMishler wrote:I've never understood the "Tarzan" comparison for Imaro; he is totally an adventurer in the Conan style!
Indeed ! Someone should write a story in which Conan and Imaro join forces for a while. That would be EPIC !

IIRC it was the book editor who put the Tarzan blurb on the cover to attract buyers... :facepalm:
Currently playing : (player in) Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”