[KF's Mystara] The World Unknown

Roll your own. Dice, that is...

Moderator: Idabrius

[KF's Mystara] The World Unknown

Postby Knightfall » Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm

I have this idea for a homebrewed version of Mystara that destroys and rebuilds the most detailed parts of the setting. I'm not sure what it would look like in the end, but my plan is to create something post-apocalyptic. The outer world would be completely decimated, and the Immortals would have to pick and choose what to save in the Hollow World, as the 'destruction' reigns down on the world. Perhaps a unknown group of Immortals invades from 'elsewhere' and the resulting conflict leaves the northern half of world scarred and ruined. :twisted:

I guess what I want to create is a version of Mystara that has devolved into a Gamma World type setting, but it would be a little less extreme.

In this new version of the world, my campaign expansion might be where a number of civilizations flee to in order to escape the worst of the devastation that engulfs the continent of Brun. Others flee south, but the destruction reaches those lands as well (just not as much).

Now, how will I destroy and rebuild the world? I haven't decided yet, although random dice rolls (likely using a d12) might be involved. High rolls mean survival while low rolls mean destruction. An 11 or 12 would guarantee the survival of most of the lands population (but not its territory) while a 2 or 1 would be the total annihilation of civilization. A roll of 1 means that the Immortals are unable to save the populace and move them to the Hollow World.

Of course, nothing is decided yet. I have to come up with an initial random roll table, which will be my next post.
Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Destruction Table (First Draft)

Postby Knightfall » Thu May 16, 2013 9:06 pm

DESTRUCTION TABLE

I will be using the two Poor Wizard's Almanacs that I own as my starting point for this project. I'll be going through the book alphabetically and rolling for each of the major lands of the Known World, first. Then I will go through them again for the other regions detailed. That means I'll be starting with these entries from AC1010...

Aengmor
Atruaghin Clan
Broken Lands
Darokin
Ethengar Khanate
Five Shires
Glantri
Heldannic Territories
Ierendi
Karameikos
Minrothad Guilds
Norwold
Ostland *
Rockhome
Soderfjord Jarldoms *
Thyatis
Vestland *
Ylaruam

* Should it be one roll for the Northern Reaches or three? Hmm... :?:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Test rolls

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 am

Rolling for the first half of the list....

Aengmor = 6
Atruaghin Clan = 10
Broken Lands = 7
Darokin = 11
Ethengar Khanate = 6
Five Shires = 9
Glantri = 11
Heldannic Territories = 7
Ierendi = 2
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Test rolls, part 2

Postby Knightfall » Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Second half of the list...

Karameikos = 6
Minrothad Guilds = 9
Norwold = 12
Ostland = 10
Rockhome = 12
Soderfjord Jarldoms = 8
Thyatis = 7
Vestland = 9
Ylaruam = 9
Last edited by Knightfall on Sat May 18, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Knightfall's Mystara: The World Unknown

Postby Dartamian » Sat May 18, 2013 2:54 am

Bummer, nothing annihilated. Did you fudge the Ierendi roll? I think I would of ;)
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Knightfall » Sat May 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Dartamian wrote:Bummer, nothing annihilated. Did you fudge the Ierendi roll? I think I would of ;)

No, I didn't. The results aren't necessarily binding since it was the first draft of my table. I might tweak it and roll again.

I didn't get any 4s or 5s either. :|
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 pm

Hmm... :?:

DESTRUCTION TABLE [2ND VER.]

This table looks like it might give me better results. Opinions?
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Dartamian » Sat May 18, 2013 11:13 pm

Knightfall wrote:
Dartamian wrote:Bummer, nothing annihilated. Did you fudge the Ierendi roll? I think I would of ;)

No, I didn't. The results aren't necessarily binding since it was the first draft of my table. I might tweak it and roll again.

Stick with what you got and go with it (including the original destruction table). Tweaking after the fact puts the hand of god into it. Just keep on and see where it leads. Much more exciting in my opinion (and much more interesting results).
Dartamian
I'm an Ogre!
Dartamian
Ogre

Postby Knightfall » Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Dartamian wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Stick with what you got and go with it (including the original destruction table). Tweaking after the fact puts the hand of god into it. Just keep on and see where it leads. Much more exciting in my opinion (and much more interesting results).

The original table was meant to be a test run, only. I had it in my head that I would revise it at least once.

This new Mystara is meant to be a semi-apocalyptic creation, so I want it to be maimed and surreal. A dark world built on the bones of the old world.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Havard » Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I like that you are looking at Mystara, but I am not too keen on this appocalyptic destruction stuff. I guess I am too much a fan of Mystara the way it is :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Knightfall » Sun May 19, 2013 6:04 pm

Havard wrote:I like that you are looking at Mystara, but I am not too keen on this appocalyptic destruction stuff. I guess I am too much a fan of Mystara the way it is :)

-Havard

I've always been a fan of Mystara, but I've never been a purist. I'm always looking for ways to mold it for my own purposes. And it's not the first time I've tried to reinvent Mystara wholly or in part. Karameikos, in particular, is a land I'm always interested in tweaking. I added a version of it to World of Kulan (and to Dark World, as well), and it could always end up on another one of my homebrewed worlds at some point. There is a steampunk version of Mystara in my Time of Ages/Steampunk Spelljammer universe, although that can be said for all the D&D Worlds.

I guess the best way to look at The World Unknown is that it is only one version of "My Mystara" to use the phrase coined in the fan magazine thread. The version that exists on World of Worlds is another.

Also, I did something similar to the Forgotten Realms with Realmsian Dragonstar (a.k.a. Arcanum of the Stars), although that 'idea' is now collecting dust in the back of my head. I could see myself doing something new, destruction-wise, for the Realms, similar to what I'm planning here for Mystara. Heck, if WotC can rip up the Realms, why can't I? Heh. :P

Doing this to Greyhawk, however, is something I don`t think I`d ever feel comfortable with.

As for the other D&D Worlds...

• Blackmoor: I'll likely include a version of this in what I'm doing here.
• Birthright: I'd consider it, but I don't have enough of the source material yet.
• Dark Sun: It's already there.
• Dragonlance: It's been through enough.
• Eberron: not likely. I don`t know it well enough to do a post-apocalyptic version of it.
• Planescape: I have my Mirrored Cosmology, which is already semi-apocalyptic -- Ragnarok has occurred in my alternate Planescape universe. (This new version of Mystara might be set in it, since I want to design it for v.3.5. Immortals will likely be designed using the Epic rules.)
• Ravenloft: I don't think the Domain of Dread lends itself to being post-apocalyptic.
• Spelljammer: I have my alternate Steampunk Spelljammer universe. That's enough for me.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Test Rolls: Version 2, Part 1

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Rolling for the first half of the list on the revised table...

Aengmor = 2
Atruaghin Clan = 3
Broken Lands = 10
Darokin = 6
Ethengar Khanate = 2
Five Shires = 10
Glantri = 5
Heldannic Territories = 10
Ierendi = 3
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Test Rolls: Version 2, Part 2

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 20, 2013 8:25 pm

Second half...

Karameikos = 8
Minrothad Guilds = 4
Norwold = 2
Ostland = 11
Rockhome = 1
Soderfjord Jarldoms = 10
Thyatis = 3
Vestland = 7
Ylaruam = 6
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 20, 2013 8:52 pm

The new table definitely gives better results, IMO. Major devastation has occurred, and a new world can now be built on the bones of the old one.

Four lands (Aengmor, Ethengar Khanate, Norwold, and Rockhome) are just gone! The Immortals couldn't even save them from the destruction wrought. Aengmor and Rockhome being gone means the The World Unknown will have less Shadow Elves and Dwarves. Their populations will be significantly reduced.

Five lands (Atruaghin Clan, Glantri, Ierendi, Minrothad Guilds, and Thyatis) are completely sundered from the world, but the Immortals are able to save them by placing them in the Hollow World. However, they might not survive the sundering of the inner world, which I am also planning. The devestation wrought in the Hollow World won't be a tramatic, however. Glantri and Thyatis being gone from the world leaves a huge power gap that will need to be filled, although it won't matter as much in the region that was once the Known World. That area will become a wasteland, for the most part. Ierendi and the Minrothad Guilds obviously sunk.

Four lands (Darokin, Karameikos, Vestland, and Ylaruam) had the homelands completely sundered, but the people, for the most part, survived to become refugees. I foresee these refugees traveling to my campaign expansion area to build new civilizations. However, nothing is decided yet.

Four land (Broken Lands, Five Shires, Heldannic Territories, and Soderfjord Jarldoms) found a way to survive through hard fought victory. The lands still exist in the same places as before but major changes have been wrought to the land the people and their way of life.

Ostland was the luckiest of the lands. It will exist pretty much as it did before The Devastation took place. The main difference is that its neighbors didn't fair so well.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 20, 2013 8:55 pm

The Devastation: This will be the name of the event. I don't know what it will be, but I'm thinking alien Immortal invasion by asteroid strike. :twisted:
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 20, 2013 9:22 pm

Just a thought, what if an asteroid was lucky enough to puncture through to the inner world?
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Just a thought, what if an asteroid was lucky enough to puncture through to the inner world?

I probably won't go that far, but the asteroid impacts on the surface will have repercussions for the Hollow World. I don't know what the logistics would be in whether or not an asteroid could pass through the polar openings.

Of course, I don't have to worry about that for The World Unknown, but I want some sort of consistency. What I do know for sure is that the invading alien Immortals are directing the asteroids. At the heart of each asteroid will be a powerful Immortal being along with an army of fell followers. Note that the invaders aren't going to all be allies, but none of them are there to help the people of Mystara.

I'm not sure how many asteroids there will be but what I'm thinking is that I'll roll randomly on a d6 for the number of impacts...

1 = 1d4
2 = 1d6
3 = 1d8
4 = 1d10
5 = 1d12
6 = 1d20

This way I would leave everything to chance. ( :arrow: Practice rolls! -> d6 = 6, d20 = 11 | Ouch! :?: )
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 pm

Knightfall wrote:This way I would leave everything to chance. ( :arrow: Practice rolls! -> d6 = 6, d20 = 11 | Ouch! :?: )

Keep in mind not all meteors will have the same blast effect. Out of the 11, maybe only 2-3 have major impacts and leave massive craters with medium size and small size craters pocking the landscape as well. Others will impact buildings and do minimum devastation.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 12:11 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Knightfall wrote:This way I would leave everything to chance. ( :arrow: Practice rolls! -> d6 = 6, d20 = 11 | Ouch! :?: )

Keep in mind not all meteors will have the same blast effect. Out of the 11, maybe only 2-3 have major impacts and leave massive craters with medium size and small size craters pocking the landscape as well. Others will impact buildings and do minimum devastation.

Yes, but these will be Immortal-powered asteroids, not typical meteors. Think of it like the directed attack in Starship Troopers combined with unearthly beings laying waste to the survivors. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Empires will fall and Immortals will die. What is left afterwards not even I know at this point.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 12:40 am

Next list of destructees...

Aegos
Aeria
Alatian Islands
Alpha
Aquas
Caerdwicca
Dawnrim
Dunadale
East Portage
Ekto
Floating Ar
Furmenglaive
Gaity
Helskir
Horken
Kendach
Lagrius
Landfall
Leeha
Meriander
Monster Island
Myoshima :?:
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 7:09 am

first eleven...

Aegos = 11
Aeria = 11
Alatian Islands = 9
Alpha = 7
Aquas = 3
Caerdwicca = 7
Dawnrim = 2
Dunadale = 6
East Portage = 5
Ekto = 3
Floating Ar = 10
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 7:13 am

Next group...

Furmenglaive = 4
Gaity = 9
Helskir = 10
Horken = 11
Kendach = 11
Lagrius = 2
Landfall = 7
Leeha = 9
Meriander = 8
Monster Island = 9
Myoshima = n/a

I'm going to decide what happens to Myoshima, myself.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 7:22 am

Continuing to go through AC1010...

Ne'er-do-well
Notrion
Oceansend
Ochalea
Pearl Islands
Qeodhar
Redstone
Septentriona
Serraine
Sind
Surshield
Thothia
Trikelios
Wendar
West Portage
Westrourke
Yannivey Islands
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 7:24 am

Time to roll...

Ne'er-do-well = 3
Notrion = 5
Oceansend = 7
Ochalea = 5
Pearl Islands = 6
Qeodhar = 8
Redstone = 4
Septentriona = 5
Serraine = 2
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Tue May 21, 2013 7:27 am

Last set of rolls for now...

Sind = 4
Surshield = 8
Thothia = 9
Trikelios = 9
Wendar = 1
West Portage = 11
Westrourke = 11
Yannivey Islands = 5

Next set of rolls will be for the Western lands of Brun.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Next

Return to Homebrew Worlds