[Time of the Tarrasque] Campaign Prospectus

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

[Time of the Tarrasque] Campaign Prospectus

Post by timemrick » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:07 am

Time of the Tarrasque
A Pathfinder (3.5 OGL Compatible) Campaign Setting by Tim Emrick

Every few decades, that dreaded abomination, the Tarrasque, reawakens from its long slumber. At such a time, the world's greatest heroes must defend the world from its nigh-insatiable appetite. Sometimes these heroes fail, and civilizations fall. And even when they succeed, the lands in the Tarrasque's wake are changed forever.

The following are ideas I've had for starting points for my "Time of the Tarrasque" campaign, which I hope to begin within the next year. The set-ups that my group doesn't use initially will likely be introduced later in the campaign, as the PCs travel more of the wider world. All of these scenarios assume that the player characters are good-aligned (or at least decidedly anti-evil), are inclined to work as a team of heroes for the common good, and aspire to be some of the greatest heroes of their generation.

Champions of Floris
The Commonwealth of Floris is a democratic human nation that has found a workable balance between its two mother countries: the Empire of Thovalas, a militant matriarchy to its north, and the Principality of the Sword Islands, a country of elemental-worshiping seafarers to its south. It also shares a border with the hill dwarf kingdom of Dabreth, and has regular contact with the wood elves of Allasimar which lies beyond it.

Floris suffers frequent incursions from savage humanoids found near its borders. The first group of these are the goblin tribes that Thovalas has long sought to eradicate from its own lands. Fleeing the superior imperial armies, many goblins have entered Floris, Dabreth, and Allasimar, where they continue to cause as much mischief and destruction as possible. The southern border is threatened by the gnolls of the Plain of Sorrows, which was once Adihanna, a duchy of the Sword Islands before these humanoids overran it a generation ago. The hyena-men are also notorious pirates, harrying ships throughout the southern Bronze Sea. Fortunately, neither race is very organized in its attacks against Floris...for now.

"Champions of Floris" would begin as a fairly traditional campaign, with most of the core races available in sizable numbers. Much of the initial focus would be on fighting common, low-powered humanoids whose threat level can scale with the heroes' advancement.

Lands of the Sun
The region known as the Dragon's Wing is dominated by the coastal Sultanate of Asasor and the Lokoran Desert of the interior. Asasor is a subtropical nation of dark-skinned humans and halflings, ruled by the priests of the sun and moon gods. The sultan claims the borders of the Lokoran, and this frontier serves as a buffer between his realm and the sun-adapted orc tribes of that desert.

The Dragonspire Mountains, beyond the Lokoran, were once home to the evil hobgoblin empire of Rizagarn, but that nation's power was broken two generations ago by the alliance of northern nations who founded the Shield [see "The Shield of Heroes," below]. The hobgoblins' territory once extended as far as Asasor's borders, and these eastern tribes still remain a thorn in the sultanate's side. Fortunately, the hobgoblins and orcs hate each other as much as they do humans and halflings, which helps keep their numbers from growing too great. But one of Asasor's greatest fears is that a charismatic warlord will arise among one of those races, and undo the precarious balance of power along the frontier.

The priests of Asasor are also vigilant against the cult of Asmolon, the evil god of darkness and undead. This cult was responsible for the destruction of the halflings' ancient homeland across the southern sea, and the sun god's champions try to prevent another such catastrophe by finding and destroying any evil they can uncover. They are also wary of the Cult of the Tarrasque, which has numerous adherents among the orcs, who zealously guard "sacred" sites in the desert where that beast has appeared in the past.

"Lands of the Sun" will initially focus on the hills and desert of the frontier, with the heroes dealing with the threats from orcs, hobgoblins, and death cults. Most adventurers here are humans, halflings, or half-orcs, but the other core races do visit and live within the sultanate in small numbers.

Against the Dragonkin
The Zolothi Compact is an alliance of kobold tribes and dragons, ruled by the green dragon Zoloth. Over the past few decades, the kobolds dramatically grew in power and influence, and slowly began to wrest away territory from the high elves who controlled most of the forests of Fendorlis. The appearance of the Tarrasque in the elves' capital was the beginning of the end for their nation, and the kobolds were quick to exploit their weakness. Fourteen years ago, the Zolothi conquered the rest of Fendorlis and drove most of the surviving high elves out of their ancient homeland. Those that remain now wage a war of resistance against their oppressors. These rebels have sworn the Oath of the Bloody Tree, pledging to liberate their home and take vengeance upon the kobolds.

The gnomes of Fendorlis have also been at war with the kobolds ever since the two races first met, and the elves have found them staunch allies. Most of the forest's gnomes live in hiding, as the elves do, but their largest holdout is at the mountain lake known as the Dragon's Eye. Here, the gnomes provide sanctuary to elves, fey, and other enemies of the dragons and kobolds.

The principal enemies of "Against the Dragonkin" are the kobolds, who have acquired resources far beyond their humble origins. Not only have they added the powers of their dragon allies/masters to their own draconian heritage, the kobolds have also acquired airships, which were recently invented by the mountain dwarves of Haraldan, across the Bronze Sea to the north. Most of the core races are common in Fendorlis or its neighbors, with the exception of dwarves (who rare travel this far south and east, and are resented by the high elves for their dealings with the enemy).

The Shield of Heroes
(NOTE: This locale is much more likely to be introduced mid-campaign rather than as a starting point, as it is much better suited to seasoned adventurers.)

Two generations ago, the legendary human paladin Virtanen organized a crusade against the Infernal Empire of Rizagarn, an unholy alliance of hobgoblins and fire giants in the Dragonspine Mountains. This war effort made little progress until the Tarrasque emerged from the Darkrift--the largest known entrance to the Underdark, and the site of its first known appearance in the world. The beast's wake of destruction disrupted communications between the Inferi and his warlords, giving Virtanen's army the opportunity they needed the start to break the strength of the empire. Fifty years ago, the crusaders achieved victory.

Virtanen's forces were drawn from the mostly-human nations of Floris, Fortunata, the Sword Islands, and Thovalas. The crusaders established a permanent colony here, the Ward of Virtanen's Shield, to keep watch over the Dragonspines to prevent the rise of another hobgoblin empire and to guard against the dangers of the Darkrift. One of Virtanen's chief supporters argued that this colony needed to be independent rather than a vassal to any of the nations who founded it, so that it would not be distracted from its mission by the vagaries of international politics. Thovalas, the largest and most expansionist of the four nations, resisted this proposal until a compromise was reached: the new fief would be co-ruled by two Wardens, Virtanen and someone of the empire's choosing. Future Wardens would then be chosen by the people of the Shield alone. (Thovalas maintains a significant amount of influence here, because it continues to contribute far more men and materials to the Ward than any other nation. Therefore, by tradition rather than law, one Warden is always Thovalan in descent and faith.)

"The Shield of Heroes" would initially begin in Pax, the Shield's primary port and one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the continent. People of all races and nations mix freely here due to the constant influx of warriors, laborers, and other immigrants, the city itself provides many opportunities for fledgling heroes to make names for themselves. Further inland, the lands of the Shield rapidly become more dangerous. Not only do remnants of the scattered hobgoblin tribes remain a constant threat, but the Dragonspires are also home to fire giants, red dragons, and wyverns, and the orc-infested Amargon Desert lies just beyond the Shield's borders. The most dangerous part of the Ward, of course, is the Darkrift, where Castle Baskanth lies sentinel against the terrors of the Underdark. No other place attracts powerful adventurers in such numbers, and only the strongest, wisest, and luckiest survive to tell the tales of their experiences below.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Nevermore
Hobgoblin

Re: [Time of the Tarrasque] Campaign Prospectus

Post by Nevermore » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Sounds interesting. Finally they aren't dragons who destroy kingdoms and civilizations. :roll:

Is there a map?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I have a first draft of the map, but I need to redraw it and add in the political boundaries. Roughly speaking, here's where the four set-ups are located:

Champions of Floris: southern end of the northern continent.

Lands of the Sun: southeast part ("wing") of the southern continent.

Against the Dragonkin: "head" and "neck" at the north end of the southern continent.

The Shield of Heroes: near the dark patch (hotspot) at the center of the southern continent (south of "humans").

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:24 am

My players and I have started to discuss the potential starting locations I proposed, and the consensus is to go with "Lands of the Sun." The frontier setting lends itself to a wide variety of adventures, over several levels of play, and the orcs' Tarrasque cult brings in that theme from the very beginning.

My three core players have some initial character concepts. The first one involves some explanation: In this setting, the two primaeval dragon gods (one good, one evil) are female and parthenogenic. They mated exactly once, producing one egg each, which they placed in the same nest. The Tarrasque hatched from one, and ate the other before it could be born. Neither goddess knows whose egg produced the Tarrasque, so blames the other for spawning this abomination. The Tarrasque is worshiped as a god by certain savage humanoid races, including some orc tribes. A fourth, very small "dragon cult" has arisen around the mystery of what the Lost Egg might have become. Many of this philosophy's followers were raised or reincarnated at some point, and believe that the Lost Egg's spirit will someday be reborn into the world.

And here are those character concepts:
  • A half-orc inquisitor of the Lost Egg cult. Her teacher had been an orc warrior reincarnated by a Tarrasque cult witch, but the experience turned him away from orcish ways (and form) and he embraced the Lost Egg. He and his protege hate the Tarrasque and its followers, as well as all undead (who have corrupted the sacred cycle of death and rebirth).
  • A half-orc cavalier who sees the frontier settlements as an opportunity for an outcast to make a place for herself. (Or himself? We're not sure yet.) This warrior's ultimate dream is to master mounted combat enough to ride the Tarrasque, and bend it to her will, if only for one brief, glorious moment. She has nothing but disdain for the fools who worship the beast as a living god.
  • An elf bard who prefers to cast himself as the comic relief in the grand stories he tells about his party's adventures. If the player decides to make him a high elf, that will provide a perfect link to the "Against the Dragonkin" storyline when the party is ready to journey farther afield. (The player is researching different builds while he waits to see what the group needs most.)
We're not sure whether the first two will hate each other's guts on first sight, or become boon companions. Possibly both. ;)

We haven't yet decided whether to invite my kids to play with us or to recruit another adult player or two. My kids are 8 and 10, and we've included them in some other games on and off this past year. This could be an opportunity to give them much-needed experience through a long-term campaign, but we're not sure if they're quite ready for that. One of the other players in the group is currently running a PF adventure that will give us a better sense of that. In any case, I don't expect Time of the Tarrasque will not be starting for a few more months yet, so we will continue to gather data on that question.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 am

I've drawn a new version of the world map, which can be found here. Place names have been added, so you should be able to find all the locations mentioned in the prospectus.

I'm currently trying to work out a more detailed regional map for Asasor's desert frontier in "Lands of the Sun." At the moment, the plan is to start the campaign in a settlement a few days' travel north of Almazur, the local governor's capital.

I also need to distill a brief players' guide out of the material I've produced so far, because the full wiki contains far more world info than they'll need (or that I want them to have) for quite some time. Character creation, some info on races and religions in the area, a few sketchy bits of local history, that sort of thing.

We've established that my highly distractible children need a lot more practice focusing on the game before they'll be ready for any kind of long-term game. Which means that before we begin, I'll probably need to recruit at least one more (adult) player to fill out the group. I have a few prospects in mind, I just need to wrangle the time to get in some casual gaming time with them to see how well they fit in with our group.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 am

Because we need to recruit one or two new players to fill out the group, I plan to run a few one-shots for some local gamers we've met, to see how they fit in with my group's play style. (And also just so it's not just the same group of four people all the time!) I may use some published modules for that, or I may create my own short adventures set elsewhere in the world of "Time of the Tarraque." The "Champions of Floris" idea above seems like a good choice for this, because it would require the least briefing on races, religion, and history. That location would also serve well for short adventures for my kids, and the occasional pick-up game for the main group. (Also, I don't want to miss out on the fun of hurling rabid PF goblins at low-level heroes, which won't happen in the desert frontier game. ;) )

I've also had some new ideas for long-term plots in that part of the world. Thovalas is always on the lookout for ways to expand its influence. It may see the Plain of Sorrows as an opportunity to claim more land for the empire--land that used to belong to its rival, the Sword Islands, and that simply needs to have the barbaric riffraff cleared out to use again. This war effort will cause problems for Floris, as the Thovalans try to move troops through their lands or past their coasts. The Sword Islands won't be pleased by the empire making a grab for their lost lands, either, which could lead to increased hostilities bertween the two nations. Floris, located right between them, will suffer greatly from any war that begins in this part of the world.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:56 pm

My group has recruited a couple of new players! I ran the Free RPG Day module Risen From the Sands for my three regular players and a couple of new friends, and it went well enough that we've asked the latter to join the Freeport game I'm currently running, then continue on for "Time of the Tarrasque" when we decide the time is right to switch games. We've only just started talking with them about characters for both games, but I'll share more about that as we figure things out.

With my old players gearing up for this game, and the new ones getting the initial brief, I've created a separate Player's Guide wiki, focusing on the part of the world that they'll know about at game start. That wiki will present public player knowledge, while I use the old wiki to tinker away on the setting at large, safely out of sight of the eyes of my players. So far, the Player's Guide includes the new world map, character creation guidelines, and some background on history, geography, and gods for the "Lands of the Sun" setup described in the OP above. I still need to draw and upload some more local maps, and information on the settlement where we'll start.

Eventually the Player's Guide wiki will include pages for player character bios and stats, and notes on the progress of the campaign, but that's all still some ways off yet.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:25 am

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've had to find a new home for the websites I had hosted at Wikispaces. One of those was my "Time of the Tarrasque" wiki. Getting my current Freeport campaign's site migrated to Google Sites, and starting to do the same with my errata archive, have been my first priorities. However, I took a break from that tonight to start copying the material from the Tarrasque Player's Guide site to a new home. The campaign pitch, character creation, and geography pages for "Lands of the Sun" have been migrated, leaving the religions and history pages left to go.

Part of the impetus for doing this now has been that I've been giving some thought to running more Pathfinder for my kids (now 10 and 9). The "Champions of Floris" set-up from my original post here seems very well-suited to that, being the most straightforward campaign concept of the lot. For the kids' game, I'll be limiting PC options to the Core Rulebook, and only occasionally pulling in other sources for NPCs. (I anticipate one major exception here will be the goblins entry in the Advanced Race Guide, in order to diversify the primary humanoid threat of this second campaign.) I still have to pitch the game to my children and get their feedback on what they want to do, so I don't know yet how soon we'll start play (though, ironically, it seems highly likely to be before the main group switches from Freeport to Tarrasque). I've created a separate page for the "Champion of Floris" campaign on the new site, but for now have only posted the basic pitch from my OP. I'll share more material about this second game once we're actally ready to gear up for play.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:03 pm

The religion and history pages are now up at the new site, which means the Time of the Tarrasque: Player's Guide site is fully migrated! :cool:

I don't have any immediate plans for migrating the original, GM-only Tarrasque site to a new home. As the game progresses, I will revise and post selections from that material to the new site as they're needed in game.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 am

I forgot to post that the two other players worked out their characters a while back:
  • A human rogue with the scout archetype. He's a local, knowledgable about the desert, and fights with two shortswords.
  • A half-elf monk with the zen archer archetype. She's originally from the matriarchal human empire of Thovalas on the northern continent, and has been wandering for some time before ending up on the Kobaran frontier.
The bard's player has also come up with an alternate build as an illusionist, in case the party decides they want a more focused arcane caster. And the inquisitor's player has built a back-up character (a halfling cleric) in case her crazy zealot ends up dying early on, or not playing well with the other PCs.

Meanwhile, the PCs for the kids' game ("Champions of Floris") have been created, and I hope to find some time this Thanskgiving weekend to run a first short adventure for them. The party members are all related to each other, though we've yet to decided exactly how:
  • Darklight, a female half-elf druid, with a velociraptor animal companion (Zippy). Her wood elf kin dwell in the woods outside of town.
  • Spellfare, a female elf sorcerer (arcane), with an owl familiar (Sceneless). She comes from the edges of the Cloudrakers, the mountains in whose foothills the starting settlement is located.
  • Anni, a female dwarf paladin. She was orphaned and raised by elves, but had a religious experience [TBD] that led her to the dwarven forge god Granok's service. [My wife's character.]
Their first adventure will involve an encounter with goblins--a classic choice for 1st-level parties, and they're more common in these parts than the locals are comfortable with.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:24 pm

My "Time of the Tarrasque" setting has finally seen actual play! :cool:

The first session of the kids' game was delayed for various reasons, but I ran a short first session for them this weekend. They got an overview of the campaign starting area, some time to get in character, and started on their first adventure together. My wife was too busy to play, so her PC will be introduced later. I'll need to wing it a bit to keep the kids' PCs from getting overhwelmed in their first fight of the campaign.

I haven't decided yet just how much to write up about the course of this campaign (or the main one), or where, but I'll keep you posted.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 pm

The subject of giants came up on in the Homebrewed RPGS group on Facebook, and I chimed in with some of the history of my Tarrasque setting. I've decided to copy those posts here:
In my Time of the Tarrasque setting, the original giant race formed one of the earliest known civilizations. That kingdom declined and splintered as the giants expanded, diversified into the modern known races, and started fighting amongst themselves. This fissioning is also reflected in giantish religion, which has changed from a unified elemental pantheon to each race following a single patron (and in many cases, only an evil aspect of that god). A few small groups preserve much of that original culture, but by the time humans colonized this continent, the old cities were mysterious abandoned ruins.

Humans distrust and fear giants of all types because the original human homeland was overrun by evil titans, forcing an exodus across the sea. This history has led to holy wars between humans who keep to the old ways and those who have adopted an elemental religion inspired by the old giant ruins in their new home.

The fire giants are probably the most infamous giant race in recent history. They are highly organized (LE), and have the resources and skills to mine and work vast quantities of metal. For a time, they allied with hobgoblins (led by ifrits, of mingled goblinoid and fire elemental heritage) and red dragons to conquer a wide swath of land around their mountainous home range. It took the combined might of several human nations (and a lucky appearance by the tarrasque deep in enemy territory) to break that empire's power a half-century ago.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:49 pm

My new blog post is about the origin of the concept for my Time of the Tarrasque setting.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:31 am

My new Studded Plate column briefly touches on the "Champions of Floris" game I'm running for my kids, and gives a link to the wiki page.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Fri May 29, 2015 2:08 am

And today's post gives the campaign blurb for the adults' game, which I'll run after my Freeport finale.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:09 am

The "Champions of Floris" game for my kids fell by the wayside after the first couple sessions. Now I'm running D&D 5E for them, and that's probably going to be my default system with them for the foreseeable future. Floris is the part of the "Time of the Tarrasque" setting that's closest to default D&D/Pathfinder, so I could conceivably use 5E if we ever revisit that game.

On the other hand, my Freeport game is down to its last 3-4(?) sessions. Once that wraps, we'll probably play something else for a while (my wife graduates next month, which should free up enough time and brain cells for her to run more Earthdawn for us), before finally starting in on "Lands of the Sun." I've been poking at my notes for that again, and have started building Pinterest boards for reference and inspiration for myself and my players. Here's what I have for those so far:
  • Lands of the Sun: The campaign will start on the desert frontier of a sultanate of humans and halflings. Both races are dark-skinned here, and I'm trying for an Arabian/Moorish look and feel to the culture. (There are a few pins of black elves, which I'm using to approximate the look of the halflings.)
  • Thovalas: The matriarchal human empire on the northern continent, home to one of the PCs for "Lands of the Sun." Think Rome ruled by Amazons.
  • Fendorlis: The high elf kingdom of Fendorlis, and home to one of the other PCs until the Tarrasque destroyed the capital. This allowed a nation of dragon-ruled kobolds to conquer the elves, driving many of them out of their homeland, while others remain behind to continue the resistance.
  • Tarrasque: Images related to the Tarrasque itself.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:49 pm

We're just one session away from wrapping up my Freeport campaign. My wife will be running something short-term for us while I get a break from full-time GMing, and work with the players to gear up for Tarrasque.

Today one of my players tried to start a blatantly metagaming email conversation by sharing a link to a "how to kill the tarrasque" article--and this is even before we've even started play! I promptly but politely quashed that, and now that thread has safely degenerated into Monty Python callbacks. :roll:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:53 pm

timemrick wrote:Today one of my players tried to start a blatantly metagaming email conversation by sharing a link to a "how to kill the tarrasque" article--and this is even before we've even started play! I promptly but politely quashed that, and now that thread has safely degenerated into Monty Python callbacks. :roll:
There is a Spelljammer world where the Tarrasque is not a unique creature, if that helps. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:12 pm

My world just has one Tarrasque, by design. Fortunately, the article my player shared was written for v.3.0, and this will be a Pathfinder game. And I commented that the Bestiary stat block might not be 100% accurate in my game.

The PF SRD also includes an alternate stat block from one of the Inner Sea books, where it's been tweaked a bit to bring it more in line with leviathans and kaiju. One addition that I intend to use is the Massive quality--it's so big you can climb it without drawing attacks of opportunity. That's perfect for some of my ideas about staging things when it finally appears in game!

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

More updates:

We've wrapped up my Freeport campaign. My wife is running some short-term Pathfinder adventures for the group while we finish gearing up for "Time of the Tarrasque" (and so I can enjoy being on the other side of the GM's screen for a little while!). It's been a long time since the players originally created their characters, so I plan to meet one-on-one with each of them to refresh our memories, finish tweaking/polishing characters, and work out some background history for each of them. (Among other things, two of the PCs are not from the starting area, so their players will need a bit more briefing on other parts of the world.) We should be able to finally start play by the end of the year!

The "Champions of Floris" game has fallen by the wayside, in part because I started running D&D 5E for my kids and some of their friends using "Lost Mine of Phandelver" (the Starter Set adventure). Scheduling with those other kids has been erratic at best, esp. over the summer. But my kids love the system and want to play more often, so I plan to start a second game with just them and my wife to fill some of the gaps when we can't do Phandelver. I will be restarting the Floris game for that, using 5E instead of Pathfinder. I have updated the "Champions of Floris" page with info on the system changes.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:23 pm

I forgot to mention here that my most recent blog post presents material for the Tarrasque game.
timemrick wrote:Time of the Tarrasque: The Praetorian Guard: The Empire of Thovalas can be best described as "the Roman Empire, if it was ruled by Amazons." This week, I present stats for Her Imperial Majesty's personal bodyguards.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 pm

timemrick wrote:One addition that I intend to use is the Massive quality--it's so big you can climb it without drawing attacks of opportunity. That's perfect for some of my ideas about staging things when it finally appears in game!
That's an interesting sounding rule. It does make sense that something over a certain size has less ability to defend itself from being flanked. I think that a tarrasque might still be able to go and stomp on people approaching it. And they would need to jump onto it to start climbing. But I think I like the general sound of this rule. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:38 am

timemrick wrote:We've wrapped up my Freeport campaign. My wife is running some short-term Pathfinder adventures for the group while we finish gearing up for "Time of the Tarrasque" (and so I can enjoy being on the other side of the GM's screen for a little while!). It's been a long time since the players originally created their characters, so I plan to meet one-on-one with each of them to refresh our memories, finish tweaking/polishing characters, and work out some background history for each of them. (Among other things, two of the PCs are not from the starting area, so their players will need a bit more briefing on other parts of the world.) We should be able to finally start play by the end of the year!
Does your wife have a blog for her Pathfinder campaign? Are her adventures set in Golarion, or are the Pathfinder RPG compatible adventures set in her own world?
timemrick wrote:The "Champions of Floris" game has fallen by the wayside, in part because I started running D&D 5E for my kids and some of their friends using "Lost Mine of Phandelver" (the Starter Set adventure). Scheduling with those other kids has been erratic at best, esp. over the summer. But my kids love the system and want to play more often, so I plan to start a second game with just them and my wife to fill some of the gaps when we can't do Phandelver. I will be restarting the Floris game for that, using 5E instead of Pathfinder. I have updated the "Champions of Floris" page with info on the system changes.
I'm glad your kids are enjoying 5th Edition. I do wonder if things like that...and maybe something like a 5th Edition Kickstarter for Freeport are going to slowly push you into playing more and more 5e games.

Do you think you might ever make a commercial version of Time of The Tarrasque...or a free PDF (or "pay what you want" PDF) and a Print on Demand version that people can buy if they like the PDF?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:04 pm

Big Mac wrote:Does your wife have a blog for her Pathfinder campaign? Are her adventures set in Golarion, or are the Pathfinder RPG compatible adventures set in her own world?
No, she doesn't. The campaign is based is her conversion of the Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure "Dungeon Interludes," a series of 6 short adventures originally designed as a series of connected side-quests to throw in between other adventures. She ran it that way the first time, in v.3.5, but wasn't able run the final part due to the group's schedule falling apart. So now she's just running those six adventures, and we go up 2 levels in between each one. We've just started Part 5 of 6 (at 9th level).
Big Mac wrote:Do you think you might ever make a commercial version of Time of The Tarrasque...or a free PDF (or "pay what you want" PDF) and a Print on Demand version that people can buy if they like the PDF?
I would love to do something like that at some point, but I'll have to wait and see how much such commercially useful material I get out of the campaign--and I definitely don't want to publish anything too important ahead of my own players discovering it in game. Meanwhile, I'll be blogging about it so that I can share some of what we do get up to.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:01 pm

I have met with each of my players to hash out more background and to finalize characters. The party will include:
  • Jumari Boneface, half-orc inquisitor of the Lost Egg
  • Zultana ("ZhaZha"), half-orc cavalier
  • Edel Naergon, elf bard (magician archetype), from the war-torn high elf kingdom of Fendorlis
  • Lucretia Scavola, half-elf monk (zen archer), from the matriarchal human Empire of Thovalas
  • Jubair, human rogue (scout)
  • Fatou Damiri, human wizard (evoker) [and future cleric and mystic theurge of Yaziel, goddess of magic]
And I think I may have found just the hook I need to get things started off: The two non-local PCs (Edel and Lucretia) will be arriving in Zahallan as part of the same caravan, so it looks like the party's first adventure together will be accompanying that caravan for the next leg of its journey.

[Edited 12/31/2016: Corrected Jumari's epithet.]
Last edited by timemrick on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”