Multiple prime material planes co-existing within each other

Roll your own. Dice, that is...

Moderator: Idabrius

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Multiple prime material planes co-existing within each other

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:22 am

Crazy and wild idea; what if one world wasn't really one world? What if it was multiple worlds, all existing at the same time, out of phase in time and/or space? What if only a select few individuals has the spark to create bridges between these realities? What would be myth and what would be real?

I don't want this to be like Planescape with plane-hopping, but something a little different. Any advice?

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Re: Multiple prime material planes co-existing within each o

Post by Saltwater1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:09 am

I have a suggestion. Read DC comics. A good amount of them in recent years have revolved around travel between alternate Earths. You will most likely get lost in the background lore if you're not a huge fan, but the you might get some ideas. Multiversity and Convergence are the two series I can remember off the top of my head that most deal with this.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:43 am

Saltwater1 wrote:I have a suggestion. Read DC comics. A good amount of them in recent years have revolved around travel between alternate Earths. You will most likely get lost in the background lore if you're not a huge fan, but the you might get some ideas. Multiversity and Convergence are the two series I can remember off the top of my head that most deal with this.
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely look into those!

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:03 am

This is pretty much the plot point of an old SF favourite of mine, The Rituals of Infinity, by Michael Moorcock. Scientist discovers a means to visit other Earths. Later he discovers an unknown entity is using agents to destroy these other Earths. The story is about finding out who they are and whether they can be stopped before they reach the "home" Earth.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:43 am

Ashtagon wrote:This is pretty much the plot point of an old SF favourite of mine, The Rituals of Infinity, by Michael Moorcock. Scientist discovers a means to visit other Earths. Later he discovers an unknown entity is using agents to destroy these other Earths. The story is about finding out who they are and whether they can be stopped before they reach the "home" Earth.
That sounds pretty cool and I am definitely going to have to add that to my reading queue. While not exactly I am shooting for here it does sound like it could provide plenty of inspiration.

To make things a bit clearer what I mean is that all Primes or not alternates, but rather co-existing in the same space. The means of access would be similar to dimensional-tunneling.

Some of the groundwork I am think of is along these lines; the supernatural isn't really, it's just an echo from another prime making ripples in another. Perhaps people that disappear from one, fall through dimensional anomalies and land on another prime, but the reverse can't happen unless extra-ordinary measures are taken to rip a new one in the fabric of the reality. Also maybe some individuals with acclimation to can see others on another Prime and it appears to others on the same prime that they are crazy, daft, not right in the head or insane.

Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Post by Birchbeer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 am

Is this kind of like the old TV show Sliders?

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:I don't want this to be like Planescape with plane-hopping, but something a little different. Any advice?
Manual of the Planes, 1e & 3e. Both deal with this concept, although somewhat differently. MotP 3e is probably a little more modern in its approach, but the concept goes all the way back to 1e.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:21 pm

I like the idea that rather than distinctly separated worlds which you need a magic portal to hop between, alternate material planes are just a series of subtle gradations which you can pass among simply by shifting your state of mind. The effect would resemble the Magical Realism genre, found largely among Hispanic novelists. The details of history and your present surroundings become inconsistent; you go through your life more or less normally, but you might occasionally glance at a newspaper and see a headline that contradicts what you thought you knew about current affairs, leaving you uncertain whether you actually lived in a different reality last week, or simply dreamed that you did.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:To make things a bit clearer what I mean is that all Primes or not alternates, but rather co-existing in the same space. The means of access would be similar to dimensional-tunneling.
Maybe something like Monte Cook's The Strange?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:10 pm

Birchbeer wrote:Is this kind of like the old TV show Sliders?
Thematically speaking, yes. Sliders is my all time favorite tv show.

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Perhaps like Roger Zelazny's Amber series?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:52 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Perhaps like Roger Zelazny's Amber series?
Somehow I overlooked this reply and just seeing it now...I am tapped out until the new year, but I'll definitely check it out!

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:58 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:10 pm
Birchbeer wrote:Is this kind of like the old TV show Sliders?
Thematically speaking, yes. Sliders is my all time favorite tv show.
An interesting choice. I like the show, but it's deeply flawed, and I wouldn't even put it in my top ten.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Multiple prime material planes co-existing within each other

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Maybe look at The City and The City by China Mieville.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”