White Sands and Turquoise Waters

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Seethyr
Couatl

White Sands and Turquoise Waters

Post by Seethyr » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:50 am

I have disappeared completely from gaming twice in previous years, on both occassions due to sicknesses in my family. Just before I disappeared the most recent time, someone had contacted me from a small publishing company and told me he had liked the work I had done with Maztica. He wanted me to put something (wholly new) together for him to produce.

The day I got his message I had literally just gotten back from a trip to the Carribbean and with this confluence of events the "White Sands and Turquise Waters" setting was born (though I stole the name from what I had once intended to be a Maztica Netbook).

Well, a week or two later my disappearance came and I take it I got dropped (rightfully so!). But I had already written a little bit, I even made my first map ever, and obtained some artwork that I was told I could use. I just reread what I was working on and figured I'd share the little bit that I have.

In a nutshell, White Sands and Turquiose Waters is a campaign based on the myths and legends of the Taino Amerindians, the Arawaks, and Jamaica.

I hope someone gets some enjoyment out of what almost came to be... :(

White Sands and Turquiose Waters
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: White Sands and Turquoise Waters

Post by Sturm » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 am

Great setting! I think there are no other fantasy settings inspired by the Caribbean, unless we count some Pirates settings, but yours, focused as it is on native people, is truly original IMHO. Where would you put it in Maztica?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 pm

Sturm wrote:Great setting! I think there are no other fantasy settings inspired by the Caribbean, unless we count some Pirates settings, but yours, focused as it is on native people, is truly original IMHO. Where would you put it in Maztica?
I'm glad you like it! I was really putting my heart and soul into this one for a while and had big plans, but unfortunately life got in the way. Rereading it, though, makes me miss the work (particularly the research) that was going into it. The Taino and Caribe natives (and certainly the Jamaicans) have some amazing lore. Now that it's no longer independent, you're right - this really could work for Maztica. The islands would probably best be placed off the coast somewhere between Maztica and Lopango, if only to get them out of the way of regions that have been detailed and for the climate.

Right now, I'm heavily into a Monster Manual, a megadungeon and another adventure, so it may take a while, but I'm vacationing in Ocho Rios, Jamaica this summer and I know the experience is going to make me want to dive right in again. I had a blast last time asking the locals about duppy stories and such*. I'll have to do it again for some research.

*If you are interested in these, look up stories about Anansi or Rollin' Calf.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:46 am

The setting would work well south of Maztica indeed.
It would work very well in Mystara too, where there is also an Anansi (A trickster immortal called Korotiku who often manifest in spider form).
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:43 am

This looks really professional.

I'm not sure if you are going to reboot it, as something related to Maztica or not, but I do think that you could probably make something (maybe this - maybe something else) that you self-publish.

We had a Piazza member, called Quickleaf, who posted that they were going to make a 4th Edition conversion of Al-Qadim. Then they vanished for a while, and published an Arabian campaign setting of their own.

And Rich Green, got his Parsantium Campaign Setting, by removing the Al-Qadim elements out of his homebrew Al-Qadim city.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”