[Oearra] Ideas

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

[Oearra] Ideas

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:18 am

Oerra [werr-uh] is the world I have in development right now. I am not going to deviate from working by burdening myself with homebrewitis [working on too many worlds].

Anyway, I just got done wtching The Mummy Returns, and after seeing the shadow fall over Ahm Shere (the oasis) it gave me an idea for Oerra...

What if there is no afterlife...no spiritual journal to ones final reward/suffering? What if, instead, the souls are trapped in the material plane and bonded to one place, without awareness and without perception? My idea is to replace one of the worlds oceans with a substance of liquid shadowstuff, the the remnants of the souls the have parted ways from their corporeal form. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of this. I know this is going to require some reworking of the planes, but I am perfectly fine with that.
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: [Oerra] Ideas

Post by ripvanwormer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 am

How do undead fit into this?
Is it possible to damage souls? Is it possible to wake them or read their memories? Can you build things out of them? Craft weapons and armor from them? Do different kinds of plants grow from them?

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 am

ripvanwormer wrote:How do undead fit into this?
Is it possible to damage souls? Is it possible to wake them or read their memories? Can you build things out of them? Craft weapons and armor from them? Do different kinds of plants grow from them?
I am leaning towards undead not existing [yet], if any I am thinking wights would be the most common. This world is still in its infancy, it has a long way to go until it becomes a standard fantasy campaign world. This does mean I shaking up the tropes.

I am leaning towards souls taking on a physical aspect, becoming akin to searing black liquid steel. When removed from the source it cools quickly unless measures are taken to keep it hot, nearly molten hot. So yes, things can be built/made from them. They cannot be used as fertilizer.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:01 am

Considering that the world is still so very young, there has not been [much of] a separation of spirit from material, so fey are much stronger. In fact mermaids are fey in the setting and I am working they up to be a fully playable race.

Having just got done watching season one of Avatar The Last Airbender, I am considering shaking the trope of druids being worldly defenders to being ambassadors of fey/spirits and much more potent with the elements. I am leaning towards there being very few gods, and if there are any they are too busy in their endeavors to notice and fulfill the prayers of mortals. Fey have a better chance of attracting the attention of the divine.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:06 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:What if there is no afterlife...no spiritual journal to ones final reward/suffering? What if, instead, the souls are trapped in the material plane and bonded to one place, without awareness and without perception? My idea is to replace one of the worlds oceans with a substance of liquid shadowstuff, the the remnants of the souls the have parted ways from their corporeal form. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of this. I know this is going to require some reworking of the planes, but I am perfectly fine with that.
Is this supposed to be like an aquatic version of Ghostwalk? Is there some sort of Atlantis/Manifest city under the ocean?

If you replace an ocean with "liquid shadowstuff" what happens at the area where that ocean meets other oceans? Is there some sort of sideways surface tension that keeps the two types of seas apart, or does water automatically change into shadowstuff as it enters this area and automatically turn back to water when it leaves that area?

Do you get shadowstuff evaporation (and some sort of "shadow rain" from "shadowclouds")?

Can ships sail on top of the shadowstuff?

Do your spirits walk down into the liquid shadowstuff, as if it is not there, while mortals get pushed to the surface by boyancy?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:22 am

Big Mac wrote:
Angel Tarragon wrote:What if there is no afterlife...no spiritual journal to ones final reward/suffering? What if, instead, the souls are trapped in the material plane and bonded to one place, without awareness and without perception? My idea is to replace one of the worlds oceans with a substance of liquid shadowstuff, the the remnants of the souls the have parted ways from their corporeal form. I'd like to know what everyone else thinks of this. I know this is going to require some reworking of the planes, but I am perfectly fine with that.
Is this supposed to be like an aquatic version of Ghostwalk? Is there some sort of Atlantis/Manifest city under the ocean?

If you replace an ocean with "liquid shadowstuff" what happens at the area where that ocean meets other oceans? Is there some sort of sideways surface tension that keeps the two types of seas apart, or does water automatically change into shadowstuff as it enters this area and automatically turn back to water when it leaves that area?

Do you get shadowstuff evaporation (and some sort of "shadow rain" from "shadowclouds")?

Can ships sail on top of the shadowstuff?

Do your spirits walk down into the liquid shadowstuff, as if it is not there, while mortals get pushed to the surface by boyancy?
I like this idea, but it does raise even more questions.

Does water still exist at all? Can shadowstuff be drank? What happens if you do drink it (I like to think that this is how undead are made)?
How do monsters such as water elementals/weirds fit in here? Do they exist? Can aquatic monsters like kraken or merfolk exist in this stuff?
What is the big kicker here? How does the fact that the sea is made of death effect campaigns in this setting?
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:24 pm

I needed a break from thinking about this setting to come back to it with a clear head....great questions here...
Saltwater1 wrote:Does water still exist at all?
It is just one ocean, so I am not completely replacing water with the liquid shadowstuff.
Saltwater1 wrote:Can shadowstuff be drank? What happens if you do drink it (I like to think that this is how undead are made)?
I'd like to say no, but that doesn't feel realistic. So I am going to say that it would have to be distilled first...this is an idea that will need further development as per the how, but the why is coming to me right now; the effect of which allows one to determine their soul age and if the life they are living is a "new" experience or a reincarnation of a previous life. This raises more questions as to how does that effect the mechanics of gameplay, if any....I have been tinkering with the idea of a setting that tracks soul incarnations....this setting could very well be my outlet for that.

Upon further thought of this, I think that drinking too much even distilled shadow water (the reasons for this being multiple failure of wanting to determine ones' soul age and desiring to now end to find out) results in taint, which in turn creates a seed in such individuals that upon death, if their taint score is high enough, they immediately rise as undead with their soul becoming "attached" to remains of the undead body until it is permanently destroyed.

I can a imagine a cabal using the shadowstuff to purposefully taint people so that undead are created for their control and use.

Perhaps using the shadowstuff in conjunction with a homebrew ritual can create unbodied undead, creating a vapor-like equivalent of it that is the basis for unbodied undead.
Saltwater1 wrote:How do monsters such as water elementals/weirds fit in here? Do they exist? Can aquatic monsters like kraken or merfolk exist in this stuff?
Yes, they still exist but they are limited to regular aquatic environments. As per the ocean of souls teeming with life, I am not sure of that yet....but if I do decide that yes, life here would diverge into all of them being slapped with the shadow creature template. The template will require a little modification to suit the flavor odf the setting though.
Saltwater1 wrote:What is the big kicker here? How does the fact that the sea is made of death effect campaigns in this setting?
See my response to drinking the shadowstuff. It should have some effect of the ecology of creatures that inhabit the shore that surrounds the ocean/sea. I want to keep this body of "shadow water" from mingling with other bodies of water to keep the ecological effect contained to one region of the world.

Keep the questions coming.
Please ask anymore questions you may have about this setting as this exercise in creativity this morning has breathed a little more life into this setting.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Instead of an ocean, you might want to make the soul-fluid fill a nearly-landlocked sea, like the Mediterranean in our world--or better yet, make it a "dead" sea, with no outlet. This would make it much easier to delineate the boundaries between bodies of water, which will save you many headaches. Narrowing that border also would allow you to turn it into a more distinctive location for adventuring, like the Clashing Rocks or Scylla and Charybdis of Greek myth.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:50 pm

timemrick wrote:Instead of an ocean, you might want to make the soul-fluid fill a nearly-landlocked sea, like the Mediterranean in our world--or better yet, make it a "dead" sea, with no outlet. This would make it much easier to delineate the boundaries between bodies of water, which will save you many headaches. Narrowing that border also would allow you to turn it into a more distinctive location for adventuring, like the Clashing Rocks or Scylla and Charybdis of Greek myth.
Yeah, I did clarify that in my last post. I want the ocean/sea to not mingle with any other body of water so that the ecological effect is contained to one part of the world.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:32 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Yeah, I did clarify that in my last post. I want the ocean/sea to not mingle with any other body of water so that the ecological effect is contained to one part of the world.
I saw that. I was just making suggestions for how to make those boundaries more distinct, to help simplify your world-building. If you only have a narrow strait between the soul-sea and the rest of the world's water, then it's much easier to set the boundary there than if you have two massive oceans with a longer, arbitrary division between them. To illustrate this with real-world examples, it's pretty clear to see that the Mediterranean Sea ends at the Strait of Gibraltar, but where exactly does the Indian Ocean become the Pacific?

(ETA: You haven't mentioned if you have any set ideas about the world's geography yet, so I don't know how easily you can incorporate this suggestion at this point in your world-building.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:45 pm

timemrick wrote:You haven't mentioned if you have any set ideas about the world's geography yet, so I don't know how easily you can incorporate this suggestion at this point in your world-building.)
No, no ideas for this [yet]. I want to take a look at geographical illustrations of what Earth looked like shortly after we became a sentient species, as I want to emphasize that the world is in its infancy in the regard of the development of sentient species.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Saltwater1
Gnoll

Post by Saltwater1 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Okay, I would just like to say quick that I did not see that there were more pages then the first one. I do this a lot, sorry if I repeated questions. And now reading over the document I realize that this is also incorrect, there is only one page. I'm sorry, I am mentally broken at the moment apparently.
"Join me, my bushes! To war we go!" -A very resourceful wood elf druid

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:28 am

Saltwater1 wrote:Okay, I would just like to say quick that I did not see that there were more pages then the first one. I do this a lot, sorry if I repeated questions. And now reading over the document I realize that this is also incorrect, there is only one page. I'm sorry, I am mentally broken at the moment apparently.
They were good questions, really kicked my muse into high gear. No worries.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”