Erthmyst (tentative name)

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Erthmyst (tentative name)

Post by Krimson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:59 pm

This is something I am working on for a campaign. The people I am running it for are mostly experienced with BECMI/RC D&D but are currently playing 5e. Most of our gaming over the last three decades has been in Mystara, though they wanted to play on the Sword Coast. But they also wanted some Mystara stuff there. While I was at it, I replaced a few things from Oerth as well. I doubt the map will end up looking great but it will be functional.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Erthmyst (tentative name)

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Interesting shape. I was trying to work out what was Forgotten Realms, what was Mystara and what was Greyhawk.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Once I add the labels it should be easier to work out. The right side of the big continent is mostly from Greyhawk, though Zind is replaced with Maztica and Lopango, mostly because I wanted to keep Maztica but couldn't keep it where it was because Brun. :D

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:31 pm

Krimson wrote:Once I add the labels it should be easier to work out. The right side of the big continent is mostly from Greyhawk, though Zind is replaced with Maztica and Lopango, mostly because I wanted to keep Maztica but couldn't keep it where it was because Brun. :D
I've seen a couple of other people merge a bunch of different maps together. It's pretty clever, but it seems that sometimes things don't fit exactly and people have to "cheat" to make them fit. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:57 pm

I think it was more just choosing stuff that I would probably use, or at least stuff that fits.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Sun May 01, 2016 7:33 am

I moved some things around a bit and added names.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Krimson wrote:I think it was more just choosing stuff that I would probably use, or at least stuff that fits.
Sounds like a plan.
Krimson wrote:I moved some things around a bit and added names.

It looks great, and a love the labels. It's easy to see what you are doing now.

You might want to be a bit careful about your south pole. It looks like your map won't wrap onto a sphere properly. (And a couple of the continents in the north look quite close to the north pole, so might not wrap the way you intend them to.)

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Sun May 01, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm mostly making it for reference and not overly worried about wrapping it around a sphere. If I do get to that point... I guess I could just shift things around a bit. I usually use Universe Sandbox to check how planets look while planeting. Here is an example using an image from Fractal Terrains.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Krimson wrote:I'm mostly making it for reference and not overly worried about wrapping it around a sphere. If I do get to that point... I guess I could just shift things around a bit.
There is that. If you have the time to shift things later, it probably isn't important.
Krimson wrote:I usually use Universe Sandbox to check how planets look while planeting. Here is an example using an image from Fractal Terrains.

That's very nice.

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Tue May 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:There is that. If you have the time to shift things later, it probably isn't important.
Pretty much every land mass can be moved around as needed, expect the large continent which is made from two pieces. When I get motivated, I'll redraw it and then I can apply effects to make the land look nicer. I'm not in a hurry though since I doubt the players are going to be anywhere but the Sword Coast for a while, unless they get ambitious and charter a flying ship from Waterdeep. Now I need to broach the subject of adding trains to the world, and see how the players react to it. It's not like Sigil where I can pass off cars as Modron tech.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue May 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Krimson wrote:
Big Mac wrote:There is that. If you have the time to shift things later, it probably isn't important.
Pretty much every land mass can be moved around as needed, expect the large continent which is made from two pieces. When I get motivated, I'll redraw it and then I can apply effects to make the land look nicer. I'm not in a hurry though since I doubt the players are going to be anywhere but the Sword Coast for a while, unless they get ambitious and charter a flying ship from Waterdeep.
I guess that you only need fuzzy detail outside of your active campaign area.
Krimson wrote:Now I need to broach the subject of adding trains to the world, and see how the players react to it. It's not like Sigil where I can pass off cars as Modron tech.
Maybe trains could be an emerging technology, with the train lines appearing in the distant east, west, north or south and slowly moving into and through your play area.

The PCs could even get hired to help out with surveying or construction of one of the new railways. :)

Krimson
The Melnibonéan

Post by Krimson » Tue May 03, 2016 10:29 pm

For the longest time I wanted to do a game something along the lines of Murder on the Orient Express, though I was thinking of some sort of tower defense type game where the players are protecting the train from being robbed as well. I already implemented a railroad in my Planescape games. There is a train station in Sigil which heads to the Outlands via a Portal in a tunnel and then traverses the border towns of the Outlands and back again, the trip taking about a week's time. Running a train from say Waterdeep to the City of Greyhawk would be a massive trip which would be around 10000 miles or maybe more. A trip across the continent could take months based on mid 19th century travel times.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed May 04, 2016 1:06 am

Krimson wrote:For the longest time I wanted to do a game something along the lines of Murder on the Orient Express, though I was thinking of some sort of tower defense type game where the players are protecting the train from being robbed as well. I already implemented a railroad in my Planescape games. There is a train station in Sigil which heads to the Outlands via a Portal in a tunnel and then traverses the border towns of the Outlands and back again, the trip taking about a week's time. Running a train from say Waterdeep to the City of Greyhawk would be a massive trip which would be around 10000 miles or maybe more. A trip across the continent could take months based on mid 19th century travel times.
It doesn't have to be that long massive trip. What if the mast of a train was fitted with keys that activated portals? I imagine the train would only need to go to emerge from the portal to cut out surmountable distances of vast wilderness that probably would succumb to problems if the rail stretched the entire distance. Since portals are prevalent in the Realms, they would be a great way to minimize upkeep of rail lines.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”