a D&D world were the Landmasses are floating in the sky

Roll your own. Dice, that is...
lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

a D&D world were the Landmasses are floating in the sky

Post by lwhitehead » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:00 am

This my other idea for a hopeful Official D&D world, it's a world were the Landmasses are floating in the sky in orbit around the Core of the Planet. They have Skyships to get around and fight there wars with.

This world is based on the Comic Meridian, and the PC game Septerra Core but with Wooden Airships,

LW

Darkanth
Bugbear

Re: a D&D world were the Landmasses are floating in the sky

Post by Darkanth » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:44 pm

There's this: http://www.onesevendesign.com/ladyblackbird/. Not exactly "land masses", but a not dissimilar idea.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:34 pm

lwhitehead wrote:This my other idea for a hopeful Official D&D world, it's a world were the Landmasses are floating in the sky in orbit around the Core of the Planet. They have Skyships to get around and fight there wars with.

This world is based on the Comic Meridian, and the PC game Septerra Core but with Wooden Airships,
There are a couple of airworlds, for Spelljammer, that are a little bit like that, although they don't have much detail.

Are there any good websites for Comic Meridian and Septerra Core, that you could look at to raid ideas from? (Over in the World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game forum, there are several topics where people have raided a bunch of Quest Chains from articles about the MMO and tried to turn them into tabletop plots.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 am

Mystara has floating continents in the Hollow World, and airships on the Outer World, but they don't really mix together.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sun May 01, 2016 8:47 am

It's an Airworld all right, but at the Core that might be land, the Arcane Empire that caused this world to become an Airworld was race of Mages that are based on the Arcane Age of FR or the Evil Empire from Dragon Age setting, there the ones who made most of the Ancient Tech such as Skyships.

This is a Swashbuckling setting, but how do I get the 5th version Races into this world unless they came off Planet.

What Timeframe should I use?,

LW

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Sun May 01, 2016 9:29 am

Swashbuckling setting? Sounds a bit like Calidar flavour... isn't it?
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 01, 2016 1:01 pm

lwhitehead wrote:This is a Swashbuckling setting, but how do I get the 5th version Races into this world unless they came off Planet.
I've seen a few conversations about "funky worlds", where people have said that certain things are impossible. I think that sometimes that is because people are too focused on real-world science to "buy into" a fantasy concept and extrapolate from there.

If we turn this around and start with the premise that your world is totally logical and is totally possible, the question is then to discover the rules of your world. And if you can do something like that, you might not need people to come in from another planet.

Ideas you could explore could include:
  • A "normal" solid world that somehow gets a "reverse gravity" effect at it's core that throws the land up into the sky,
  • Conventional plate tectonics replaced by some sort of "flying tectonics" where land is created, rises up into the air and is slowly eroded over time (maybe with dust dropping back down to the core, where new "flying tectonic" cycles recycle material and create new continents.
  • Moving continents that occasionally "dock" alongside each other, allowing animal migration, invasion and other stuff that happens on "normal" planets (before the era of flying ships).
  • Magical forces (or magnets) that can be used to change the direction of floating islands (with bigger landmasses needing a bigger push).
  • Other magical forces (or the same force used backwards) that can be used to repel other floating islands.
  • Natural materials with special properties, that cause things to float.
  • An ancient race of highly advanced cloud giants, who created a lot of artefacts that allowed them to move from living on clouds to living on other materials.
  • Rock-clouds (maybe with the cloud giant theme) where instead of having "flying tectonics" you have rock evaporation at the core forming dust that collects together into continents in the sky, with some sort of "solid rain" slowly eating away at some rock-clouds over time. (This would probably be the opposite of "flying tectonics" and mutually exclusive.)
That's a few random ideas off of the top of my head. If you have something (and not necessarily anything from that list) that is a natural process that has existed since the start of the world, you can have rain, and rivers and lakes and maybe even a few seas...and all the stuff that life needs, without any flying ships.

The flying ships can come along later, when the people discover technology, magic or wondrous materials that make it possible.
lwhitehead wrote:What Timeframe should I use?,
I'm not sure there.

If you want a lot of travel between flying continents, you might want to go for the Age of Sail, but I think this could also work with earlier eras and less advanced ships, as the basis of flying ships.

You could probably even drop down to having flying canoes or rafts and do something based around chains of small islands and not even have wizards, if you wanted to.

These are really questions you should be turning around and asking yourself. I think that "the rule of cool" should apply here. What would be most fun for you? Work that out and you can bend the rules until you get the right world that includes what you think is most "cool".
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sun May 01, 2016 6:10 pm

This Airworld was current caused An Ancient Race that had an Powerful Empire they were trying to become Gods they ended up causing the Landmasses to going flying on different levels in the sky, The Skyships are Wooden with Sails and Hulls are made of Wood that has natural antigravity it's due to the Sap in the Timber.

In the Middle of Airworld's Sky is the Port Royal like City, it's were the players will meet each other.

LW

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Mon May 02, 2016 12:52 am

This is the Cavaliers Timeframe, how do I fit Gods, Magic, and D&D 5th Races as Cavaliers.

LW

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Sun May 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Folk still need help with this D&D setting,

Water is going to be problem due to flying and floating Landmasses that are in orbit around the Core, Lakes and Rivers how can they be around?,

LW

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 09, 2016 12:02 am

lwhitehead wrote:Water is going to be problem due to flying and floating Landmasses that are in orbit around the Core, Lakes and Rivers how can they be around?
You don't need rivers. You need a water cycle.

You can have rain and ground water and streams that fall off of the end of your floating islands. Then you can have evaporation from the core and clouds.

Just assume that it already works and look for the solution.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Mon May 09, 2016 2:19 am

Ok a Weather cycle got it that starts at the tops of Mountains and end at the edge of floating landmass.

What about Airwhales?, and other type of creatures that live in the Air, What do the Air Whales eat?,

LW

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 09, 2016 7:52 am

If air whales exist then things from the size of plankton up to large fish, octopuses or dolphins must also exist. It's all connected.

lwhitehead
Hobgoblin

Post by lwhitehead » Mon May 09, 2016 10:31 am

Well what about Firearms and Canons would they work againest D&D standard Magic and Clerics, I mean once you move the Timeframe from the Middle Age you have problems.

How would D&D Magic and Gods react to the 17th Century?,

LW

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 09, 2016 5:42 pm

lwhitehead wrote:Well what about Firearms and Canons would they work againest D&D standard Magic and Clerics, I mean once you move the Timeframe from the Middle Age you have problems.
They work fine if you want them to work.

It's up to you to decide this stuff.
lwhitehead wrote:How would D&D Magic and Gods react to the 17th Century?,
You are the one in charge of the gods. They can work fine with technology, as can arcane magic.

Its entirely up to you if you want to have magic fading away as technology advances. Personally, I find that trope a bit cheesy, but if you want to go down that route, you can do so.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu May 12, 2016 9:18 pm

It could actually be like planet Pandora in Avatar.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Homebrew Worlds”